02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230299.jpg]

I did order this shaving soap from http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/ with an excellent service (as always) from Phil.

This is a truly great soap,I must admit,even better than the Lavender refill I tried several months ago and almost like the lavender bowl one (they have different formulations and the bowl one its not longer made).

Its presentation its really nice,with the black box and white letters,kind of the Trumper Eucris one (I think this soap its the TOBS answer to that one).

As you can read its a palm oil based shaving soap,with sweet almond oil:

[Image: P1230300.jpg]

And,of course,its a triple milled soap,which means that its gonna last you a long time of everyday use,but also,you have to load the brush with more soap than if you were using a melt and pour soap or a shaving cream.

[Image: P1230298.jpg]

This soap creates a really rich land thick lather,reminding me of the Plisson shaving soap but also has more "slickness" due,I guess,to the sweet almond oil,which also nourish the skin.

The shaves with this soap have been great,much better as I have pointed,than the ones with the TOBS lavender refill one.My skin its not dry after the shave (I have really dry skin) so Im really happy about this.

[Image: P1230312.jpg]

And the best of all?Its scent.This is a really complex scent,full of different tones and really elegant as well as manly.The scent last during the shave and even afterwards,making me delight sine I really like it a lot.If you really like Trumper Eucris and you're looking for a soap with a better skin care,this is the one.

Well done for TOBS.

86 7,123
 12-15-2012, 08:40 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-15-2012, 08:23 PM)jmsodpc Wrote: i used this soap tonight....required more effort than i'm used to doing on a cream/soap but the lather was just as nice as your photo.

had to add more water and more whipping time but it was a nice shave with my Gem open comb.....i really like that razor.

What do you think about its scent and how was the shave with it ?

86 7,123
 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM
User Info
This is one my favorite scents and I find the lather to be incredible. Teiste do you have the aftershave? If not you should get it, awesome for dry skin.

129 6,685
 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-15-2012, 09:06 PM)wingdo Wrote: This is one my favorite scents and I find the lather to be incredible. Teiste do you have the aftershave? If not you should get it, awesome for dry skin.

I dont , Doug , but I have the EDT. I need to get that balm too , since I do have dry skin. How strong is the scent on the balm ? Thanks.

86 7,123
 12-16-2012, 09:19 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
This has been one of my favorite's if not my favorite. The scent is awesome and there are few that lather as good. I've often considered the aftershave. Is it the same scent as the soap? Is it an alcohol based splash?

45 3,955
 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM
User Info
This is what I use. http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/tajestafspaf.html

Not a balm, and it has a sprayer on top. Smells EXACTLY like the soap. Alcohol free, no sting just a nice soothing / calming action.

129 6,685
 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-16-2012, 12:51 PM)jmsodpc Wrote: i thought the scent was good and after i put the time for lathering...the lather was good too.

guess i'm spoiled with easy lathering creams....soaps seem to take more effort i guess

Its a triple milled soap , so yes , it takes time to load the brush with soap (at least , 30 seconds).

The cream is very good too , and I think is slightly better skin care wise.The scent is basically strong in both the soap and the cream.

If I would have to choose only 3 scented creams/soaps made in UK I will choose :

1.Penhaligon's Blemhein Bouquet
2.TOBS Jermyn Street
3.D.R. Harris Arlington.

Enough said for me.

86 7,123
 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
(12-16-2012, 01:30 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 12:51 PM)jmsodpc Wrote: i thought the scent was good and after i put the time for lathering...the lather was good too.

guess i'm spoiled with easy lathering creams....soaps seem to take more effort i guess

Its a triple milled soap , so yes , it takes time to load the brush with soap (at least , 30 seconds).

The cream is very good too , and I think is slightly better skin care wise.The scent is basically strong in both the soap and the cream.

If I would have to choose only 3 scented creams/soaps made in UK I will choose :

2.TOBS Jermyn Street
3.D.R. Harris Arlington.

Enough said for me.

I haven' tried Arlington and am not a far of Harris creams. That said, perhaps I should pick up a bottle of the AS Splash.

#1 and #2 .... both great choices Teiste.

129 6,685
 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-16-2012, 01:31 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 01:30 PM)Teiste Wrote:

2.TOBS Jermyn Street
3.D.R. Harris Arlington.

Enough said for me.

I haven' tried Arlington and am not a fan of Harris creams. That said, perhaps I should pick up a bottle of the AS Splash.

#1 and #2 .... both great choices Teiste.

I think so , Doug.

Have you tried the Harris soaps/stick? I got one Arlington stick on my visit to Phil (Bullgoose) and what a great stick and scent.Totally recommended.

I will follow your advice and get the TOBS Jermyn St balm.I will have a full Jermyn St shave.Its the scent Im wearing today.

86 7,123
 12-16-2012, 01:44 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I have the soap and I love it.
I had the cream before the soap. I finished the cream and have to agree with what Teiste mentioned; the cream has better skincare in my opinion.

I also had the moisturiser, it was a superb product! Unfortunately they reformulated. For me the new formula turned out bad and I will not order it again.

5 447
 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
User Info
One of my favorite scents! Great performer and always feels good on the face. A mainstay in my rotation.

0 18
 12-18-2012, 07:49 AM
User Info
(12-16-2012, 03:08 PM)jmsodpc Wrote: i never tried Penhaligon's before and i have tried all the samples i could from Tobs creams....i do like them very much.

If you can find Penhaligon's BB on B/S/T you should swoop in and pick it up.

Teiste, Do you have the soap and cream? If so how does the cream perform??

129 6,685
 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-18-2012, 07:49 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(12-16-2012, 03:08 PM)jmsodpc Wrote: i never tried Penhaligon's before and i have tried all the samples i could from Tobs creams....i do like them very much.

If you can find Penhaligon's BB on B/S/T you should swoop in and pick it up.

Teiste, Do you have the soap and cream? If so how does the cream perform??

Doug , I used to have both , now only the cream.I find the cream better on the skin care department , but not by much. Also it has a little bit more of a "complex" scent than the soap , but , again , not by much.I could be happy with any of them , but I chose the cream.
As we all can guess , the cream is easier to make lather with than the soap , but I found the soap one of those triple milled ones which doesnt requires too much effort to get good lather , since contains a lot of Palm oil.

86 7,123
 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I bought the Jermyn Street soap a while ago at the same time as buying the cream (I was in the Jermyn Street shop anyway so I thought, why not?). I don't recall ever using a soap before and had decided to give this as a gift to a friend so, before I parted with it I thought I'd give it a 'test lather'. My results didn't look anything like Teiste's photo but it did lather up easier than expected it to and I have no experience with soaps at all. I hope my friend appreciates my gesture...

0 132