01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
I've been learning a lot from The Nook. Having watched a video posted here and reading other post about lather I decided that I needed to practice. After reading and watching the video (was an Australian guy) I realized my lather on my previous shaves wasn't up to par, so when I got out of shower I practiced building lather. Now I know it's a shame that I wasted that lather, but I'm putting off shaving till tomorrow or Thursday to give my face some time to heal from the razor burn of the last shave (which I've posted about in a thread about razor burn). So here are some pics. I would appreciate any comments, constructive criticisms, and advice. I used Col. Conk Bay Rum shave soap.

0 36
 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
It looks pretty decent for Conk lather, which isn't really a star performer to begin with. It has nice sheen and looks well hydrated, as long as it shaves well I wouldn't worry much on looks. I've had wonderful shaves from lather that looked frothy and useless.

31 1,510
 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I've never used Conk before, but I would say that the lather looks like it could be worked a bit more to get a creamier texture. It could be that you have gone as far as you could, as long as it doesn't dissipate on your face while you're shaving and allows the razor to slide effortlessly across your face you are good.

127 2,377
 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
User Info
I think you can get it a bit thicker, but whether it's worth the effort with that combination of soap & brush is a different question.

I'd try a soft italian soap or cream and see how that goes.

9 2,988
 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
User Info
No worries on wasting lather...practice makes perfect! As mentioned about, the lather looks a bit thin. How long are you loading the brush for? I would recommend about 1 min. of load time. Also don't be afraid to get the brush into the soap some...brushes are pretty tough...this will help with the loading.

5 938
 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Most issues with lather are solved with more water or more product. Take your time, ensure the brush is properly loaded, then keep adding water a few drops at a time until it explodes!

91 17,829
 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-08-2013, 01:55 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: No worries on wasting lather...practice makes perfect! As mentioned about, the lather looks a bit thin. How long are you loading the brush for? I would recommend about 1 min. of load time. Also don't be afraid to get the brush into the soap some...brushes are pretty tough...this will help with the loading.

I wondered about getting the brush more into the soap. All I've heard is that to just swipe the whiskers of brush on the soap to load it, so I was mainly using circular motions on the whiskers.

Honestly, it was longer than 1 minute of loading and whipping. It took a little while to get it to that cream level. I can tell it is gonna take some more practice, but it looked better than my first. Someone mentioned soft italian soaps, could you suggest some? I'm new to the game. My wife (nor I for that matter) knew which soap to get so she got what the guy suggested to her. I might should've added some more drops of water and whipped it up some more in the process. But I will say, I haven't had this much fun learning something since learning sex LOL!

0 36
 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 02:12 PM)MikeD Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 01:55 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: No worries on wasting lather...practice makes perfect! As mentioned about, the lather looks a bit thin. How long are you loading the brush for? I would recommend about 1 min. of load time. Also don't be afraid to get the brush into the soap some...brushes are pretty tough...this will help with the loading.

I wondered about getting the brush more into the soap. All I've heard is that to just swipe the whiskers of brush on the soap to load it, so I was mainly using circular motions on the whiskers.

Honestly, it was longer than 1 minute of loading and whipping. It took a little while to get it to that cream level. I can tell it is gonna take some more practice, but it looked better than my first. Someone mentioned soft italian soaps, could you suggest some? I'm new to the game. My wife (nor I for that matter) knew which soap to get so she got what the guy suggested to her. I might should've added some more drops of water and whipped it up some more in the process. But I will say, I haven't had this much fun learning something since learning sex LOL!

A recent revelation to me is that there is some point in the loading phase when the brush resists taking on lather.

At that point, if you dip the tips in water, the added water helps facilitate additional loading.

Now, I haven't exactly experimented enough to know if there is a full saturation point, but I have done it enough times to know that most any brush can get 3 passes if you use this method.

Okay, by most any brush, I mean all the brushes I've tried which do not include $15 Escali/Tweezerman brushes.

9 2,988
 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
User Info
It looks a bit foamy.. The body (volume) is there but it looks slightly foamy. I think it should be creamier.

0 193
 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
I hate to even suggest this...

Is there a Bath and Body Works near you? They have Bigelow cream which will work fantastically. Too, if you have a natural foods type store near you they might have Kiss My Face shave cream, it too will work great. They also make moisturizer, so don't confuse the 2.

After you learn what great lather is by making it then go back to the CC.

32 6,309
 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 02:21 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 02:12 PM)MikeD Wrote:

A recent revelation to me is that there is some point in the loading phase when the brush resists taking on lather.

At that point, if you dip the tips in water, the added water helps facilitate additional loading.

Now, I haven't exactly experimented enough to know if there is a full saturation point, but I have done it enough times to know that most any brush can get 3 passes if you use this method.

Okay, by most any brush, I mean all the brushes I've tried which do not include $15 Escali/Tweezerman brushes.

This is good advice and actually how I load as well:
-soak brush- squeeze about 80% of the water out of the brush- swirl on soap w/ a fair amount of pressure for about 30 seconds- dip tips in warm water- load brush for another 30 seconds or so- start lathering on face.

Regarding soft soaps "croaps" some well regarded brands are Proraso, Cellars, Valobra, RazoRock, Vitos, etc. all can be found here:

http://www.italianbarber.com/

5 938
 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-08-2013, 08:14 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 02:21 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 02:12 PM)MikeD Wrote: I wondered about getting the brush more into the soap. All I've heard is that to just swipe the whiskers of brush on the soap to load it, so I was mainly using circular motions on the whiskers.

This is good advice and actually how I load as well:
-soak brush- squeeze about 80% of the water out of the brush- swirl on soap w/ a fair amount of pressure for about 30 seconds- dip tips in warm water- load brush for another 30 seconds or so- start lathering on face.

Regarding soft soaps "croaps" some well regarded brands are Proraso, Cellars, Valobra, RazoRock, Vitos, etc. all can be found here:

http://www.italianbarber.com/

Thanks for the suggestion! What about Mystic Water? Reading about MW and said it was soft.

(01-08-2013, 08:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I hate to even suggest this...

Is there a Bath and Body Works near you? They have Bigelow cream which will work fantastically. Too, if you have a natural foods type store near you they might have Kiss My Face shave cream, it too will work great. They also make moisturizer, so don't confuse the 2.

After you learn what great lather is by making it then go back to the CC.

I actually have some Bigelow. I used it this past Sunday and I had very bad razor burn. I am new to wet shaving so I think a lot had to do with technique and learning, but it was suggested to me that Bigelow has parabens and skin could have had a reaction to it. I'm not totally sure because my first wet shave was with Col Conk and it wasn't as bad, but I know that right now it could be many factors. That explains why I was trying the soap again. I posted about the razor burn problem in another thread. Don't feel bad about Bath and Body Works, my wife shops there and I buy Bigelow soap there LOL.

0 36
 01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
User Info
I've never tried MW so I can't speak to that...I'm assuming it might be like Mike's which is a soap that is fairly malleable...the Italian croaps are much softer, almost like a hard cream...hence the term croap...it's somewhere between a cream and a soap...they are extremely easy to load and lather.

5 938
 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM
User Info
I love the ease of the croap, but the hard triple milled soaps are so fun.

9 2,988
 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 10:24 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I love the ease of the croap, but the hard triple milled soaps are so fun.

I'll put it this way, if you're looking for a sure thing go for the croap...if you're looking for something that needs to be wined and dined first go for the triple milled soaps. Biggrin

5 938