01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
User Info
Hey Fellow Brush Buyers Smile

I just received my 2 Vie Long from Phil at BullGoose Shaving today and must say Phil really got his connections with Vie Long in the right place, because these 2 brushes are both dense as he_ll, have beautiful knot bulbs, and the hair & handles on both brushes are simply outstanding quality.

You just feel it's a quality brush, and the hair on the butterscotch beehive is the most silver colored Silvertip hair I have ever seen, and I own a pretty good deal of high quality Silvertip brushes Wink

I don't know if they have colored the tips in silver, it almost looks like it, sort of when you see a supermodel and think she can't look that good directly from mother nature, but this brush just has the softest tips I have ever touched in dry pre bloom, pre wet state.

Pretty amazing and I was a bit stunned because it's softer dry than the 2 Vie Long Silvertips I already own, 2 brushes which I bought directly from Gifts and care.
This Vie Long 3-band even puts my velvet soft Thäter 3-band bulb and my Mühle Sophist 3-band Silvertip to shame. It's that soft and the knot is far more dense, than any of my Thäters, we're talking almost Simpson Chubby Super 3-Band or Shavemac D01 3-Band dense…..

The 'Rover' 2-Band is no slouch either. For a 2-Band Vie Long this feels very soft and dense, when dry and not used yet.
My softest 2-band Silvertip Thäter are not even that soft, when dry. Don't know if this will change, once the brush get wet and blooms though…….

I also received the Rooney Beehive faux ivory 2-band Super brush, and the day before Christmas got my Rudy Vey butterscotch Beehive with a Shavemac D01 2-band knot in it.

[Image: 2hcjbqp.jpg]
[Image: rkymoy.jpg]
[Image: 34noas7.jpg]
[Image: 2ljrn9l.jpg]

These 4 great beehives will join my 2 other beehives, the Shavemac Nook LE brush and my Rudy Vey faux ivory beehive with a Shavemac D01 3-Band knot.

[Image: 35m2rmt.jpg]

What surprised is just how fantastic ergonomic these beehive handles are. I thought they would be pretty miserable to hold while shaving, but they all seem surprisingly great to hold - in fact they are among my favorite handles if you look at their ergonomics solely.

22 5,057
 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Just wait to try the Vie Long silvertip and two band...the silvertip is pure luxury , and the two band , needs some softening , but after a period of time , you will see.

Excellent brushes there , my friend : enjoy them with health , and let us know when are you going to open the "brush museum" in your home !!! Biggrin

86 7,123
 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
User Info
Nice brushes indeed. I'm not really a beehive fan - they just never have looked like they would be comfortable to hold for me - but those are very good looking, especially the V-L butterscotch silvertip. I have a couple Rudy Vey brushes with the Shavemac D01 2-band knots, and they do require a little bit of breaking in to become soft enough. Have fun.

184 12,003
 01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
User Info
The Vie Long on the far right looks awfully familiar in shape to yet another Simpson classic handle?

1 630
 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 11:33 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Nice brushes indeed. I'm not really a beehive fan - they just never have looked like they would be comfortable to hold for me - but those are very good looking, especially the V-L butterscotch silvertip. I have a couple Rudy Vey brushes with the Shavemac D01 2-band knots, and they do require a little bit of breaking in to become soft enough. Have fun.

I've found the handle pretty comfortable. I had this beehive in horsehair and sold it (a bit too prickly for my taste), and just acquired this in a badger-horse mix which is quite nice.

12 1,243
 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice Claus. Spin that "Rover" brush around and take a picture.Smile

173 23,531
 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Very nice! Those are some nice looking brushes. Vie-Long 2-band and silvertip are on The List of things to try before I'm done buying things.

10 1,858
 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Beautiful brushes and great pictures. Congratulations and use them well.

100 12,440
 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Awesome looking brushes, and excellent photography too.

Hopefully you will be posting reviews.

1 3,507
 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wonderful brushes Claus!

91 17,846
 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
(01-08-2013, 11:50 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: The Vie Long on the far right looks awfully familiar in shape to yet another Simpson classic handle?

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery Mark...

[Image: 100_6547.jpg]

I have always liked beehives myself Claus, and regret selling my Rooney Heritage beehive.

135 1,946
 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Claus,

Those are some fine looking brushes. Congrats.

And THANKS for sharing the photos.

47 1,378
 01-09-2013, 02:14 AM
User Info
I am so tempted now to get the Vie-Long butterscotch from BullGoose...A6

Very nice brushes. Always enjoy your pics.

4 358
 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
Great looking Beehives! I have the Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse and it is a great face latering machine!

0 433
 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
User Info
Claus,

How do you find the tips on the butterscotch Vie-Long Beehive? What about flow-through?

27 354
 01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 01:28 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote: Claus,

How do you find the tips on the butterscotch Vie-Long Beehive? What about flow-through?

Now I have only used it once, but what brush it is Biggrin

Extremely soft and luxurious, like my 6 Thäters, but still with very nice back bone.
The tips are the softest in all of my collection - softer than Thäter, Mühle, Kent & Shavemac Regular 3-Band Silvertip.

This brush from Phil at Bullgoose is a sleeper brush, it's right up there with the very best of the best I have ever tried......10/10
Flow through is excellent too !

I highly recommend this brush. The handle is VERY ergonomic for my hands, at first I avoided these beehives because the handle looked weird, but this particular model (also used by Rudy Vey and Rooney) with the larger base under the beehive, well this makes this handle EXCELLENT !

22 5,057
 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 07:58 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 01:28 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote: Claus,

Now I have only used it once, but what brush it is Biggrin

Extremely soft and luxurious, like my 6 Thäters, but still with very nice back bone.
The tips are the softest in all of my collection - softer than Thäter, Mühle, Kent & Shavemac Regular 3-Band Silvertip.

This brush from Phil at Bullgoose is a sleeper brush, it's right up there with the very best of the best I have ever tried......10/10
Flow through is excellent too !

I highly recommend this brush. The handle is VERY ergonomic for my hands, at first I avoided these beehives because the handle looked weird, but this particular model (also used by Rudy Vey and Rooney) with the larger base under the beehive, well this makes this handle EXCELLENT !

Thanks Claus. You just brought my 2013 shave purchase sabbatical to an abrupt end. Hell, at least I lasted 5 days longer than I thought I would.

27 354
 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 11:24 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hey Fellow Brush Buyers Smile

I just received my 2 Vie Long from Phil at BullGoose Shaving today and must say Phil really got his connections with Vie Long in the right place, because these 2 brushes are both dense as he_ll, have beautiful knot bulbs, and the hair & handles on both brushes are simply outstanding quality.

You just feel it's a quality brush, and the hair on the butterscotch beehive is the most silver colored Silvertip hair I have ever seen, and I own a pretty good deal of high quality Silvertip brushes
Wink

I don't know if they have colored the tips in silver, it almost looks like it, sort of when you see a supermodel and think she can't look that good directly from mother nature, but this brush just has the softest tips I have ever touched in dry pre bloom, pre wet state...

+1

I just took delivery of the Bullgoose/V-L Butterscotch Beehive in Silvertip and I couldn't agree with those statements more. It's my first Vie-Long. I just sent Phil a thank you note saying I'm not going to try the brush for a couple of days because it is so nice untouched. It really is a special knot (at least unused). Fantastic handle as well. Very similar to my Rooney.

P.S. Thanks also to Claus for publishing his thoughts on the brush - it's the reason I bought it.

27 354
 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
I also found myself on the Bullgoose site two weeks ago, finally pushed ever the edge of purchase by this thread. Something about the JL Petree "Rover" brush in two-band has been calling to me for a while. I do love a good bulb-shaped not. Anyway, I love the two-band I got, but now you guys have me wondering if I missed out on an even better brush. I lived in Spain for a summer during college, so I have an inherent weakness for anything that says "Made in Spain." Cool

Either way, here is my two-band in defunking action. The two-band hair is no slouch at all, and this is a great handle. Please accept my thanks, as well, Claus!

12 124
 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
(01-21-2013, 10:31 AM)rts9364 Wrote: I also found myself on the Bullgoose site two weeks ago, finally pushed ever the edge of purchase by this thread. Something about the JL Petree "Rover" brush in two-band has been calling to me for a while. I do love a good bulb-shaped not. Anyway, I love the two-band I got, but now you guys have me wondering if I missed out on an even better brush. I lived in Spain for a summer during college, so I have an inherent weakness for anything that says "Made in Spain." Cool

Either way, here is my two-band in defunking action. The two-band hair is no slouch at all, and this is a great handle. Please accept my thanks, as well, Claus!

Likewise Ryan - the Rover style handle is one of my favorite grips - I thought about that one for awhile as well.

27 354