01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Hello Gents and Ladies!

I'm in the mood for a new Closed Comb DE and am currently using a Merkur 23C commonly known now as the #180. I also have the 38M...

I'm looking for a reasonably priced razor. The handle doesn't matter so much as long as it is not slick.

Can anyone give me some choices for a higher quality Closed Comb Razor on par (or better) with the Merkur 23C (180) / 38M?

Thanks!

68 1,416
 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Matt,
Go to the shaveabuck.com website and check out all the Cadet razors in stock. Joe has about 20 models all priced under $30 . Also a more aggressive razor closed comb are the Sabi razors in particular the T2 model which is available for purchase but according to Joe they are in Virginia and will be arriving soon. Those razors are made in Taiwan and are of excellent quality.

100 12,438
 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Muhle is a great shaver, very well regarded head, exceptional quality and beautifully finished.

The R89 Grande has a longer handle similar to the Merkur if that is your preference...

Edwin Jagger use the same head and are also quality instruments, but more keenly priced in comparison.

91 17,811
 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Webers are.a good choice

115 1,692
 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
+1 on both the Weber razors and the Muhle R89.

3 497
 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Edwin Jagger DE89L. The smoothest razor I've ever shaved with. It has the same head as the R89 above. The L is the lined version and it has good grip for me. Some say the unlined version can be slippery.

45 3,955
 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
EJ DE89 (the handle is smooth, but I've never had any slippage issues) or the RazoRock Little Bastone (this one has nice deep knurling)

http://www.italianbarber.com/edwin-jagge...ome-plated

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-li...edge-razor

5 938
 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
User Info
Webers would have to be my suggestion, but the EJ89 or the Merkur 34C which is a great little "two-piece". i would have suggested the Muhles, but for the price, i find them too expensive. If you can get your hands on a Rotbart, that is a nice one, also. Good luck, Matt.

75 20,883
 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
All good suggestions above. My vote would be for the EJ DE89 with a heavier handle like a Weber.

Not to be too nit picky..but my understanding is that there is no such thing as a "closed comb". There is "open comb", there are "solid bar" razors and some hybrids.

14 870
 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 08:01 PM)Attila Wrote: Not to be too nit picky..but my understanding is that there is no such thing as a "closed comb". There is "open comb", there are "solid bar" razors and some hybrids.

* Attila, i think most would agree that "closed-comb" = "safety-bar" and i think it has become the norm, now, i believe, from all the references i see.

75 20,883
 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
User Info
The various Cadets - both the three-piece and TTOs - are nice. Also like my Parker 22R, my Wilkinson Classic, my slants, my cheap Yuma... there are so many razors out there it's hard to recommend a single one. Might be easier if you gave a bit more indication on what you had in mind; three-piece vs TTO? New vs vintage? Steel vs brass?

Also; if you're feeling adventurous, why not try a slant? The Merkur 39C is an amazing razor...

3 3,558
 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I would agree that the 89 or Weber would make for a great addition.

On another note...if you're looking to have some fun and keep the price reasonable, you may want to consider one of the adjustables that can meet just about any shaving mood you're likely to find yourself in. All can be had for under $50 to $75 on B/S/T; or you can buy the Merkurs new.

Gillette Fatboy
Gillette Slim Adjustable
Gillette Black Beauty
Merkur Progress
Merkur Futur

29 466
 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(01-08-2013, 09:21 PM)celestino Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 08:01 PM)Attila Wrote: Not to be too nit picky..but my understanding is that there is no such thing as a "closed comb". There is "open comb", there are "solid bar" razors and some hybrids.

* Attila, i think most would agree that "closed-comb" = "safety-bar" and i think it has become the norm, now, i believe, from all the references i see.

Interesting...thank you my friend. Though I believe that could be misleading in some cases. Some so called "safety-bar" razors can be very aggressive, the Titan H1 and the new iKon standard head razor for example. Not overly safe in careless hands to be sure. Whereas I have found quite a few "open-combs" to be quite mild or at the least, easy to use. I prefer the term solid bar instead myself, that way there is no pre-conceived safety notions that may or may not be there!

Regardless of what I think though, thanks for clarifying that "closed comb" is apparently now part of the shave vernacular.

14 870
 01-09-2013, 10:59 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Quote:Also; if you're feeling adventurous, why not try a slant? The Merkur 39C is an amazing razor...

I have several slants, including a vintage Dovo Bakelite Slant, and also a Slant with cracked barrel from Merkur. I agree that the sledgehammer is a nice razor, but my wife now uses that one to shave her legs...HAHA

Quote:Regardless of what I think though, thanks for clarifying that "closed comb" is apparently now part of the shave vernacular.

I'm amazed that you've never heard the term Closed-comb...I've been on the various shave forums since 2007 and that's one of the first terms I heard/learned. I first heard Mantic59 use it in a review he did on BadgerandBlade.com for a Parker Razor which he particularly did not care for. I think the term fits better than Saftey-bar, since some of them just aren't that safe as you mentioned...Rolleyes of course...agressiveness is a very personal term, as some would say the Slant is an aggressive razor, but I find it rather mild at "good" angles...bad angles it is a death machine tho...so your mileage may vary.

I should not have implied that I ONLY have the Merkur 23C, that's just the one I'm currently favoring. I meant I'd like to try one of the NEWER manufactured razors...So far (on looks alone) I prefer the Cadet and Razorock Razors as they are much more cost effective for me...I can buy 3 less expensive for one more expensive razor. I tried the Pils and sold it. I tried the Matador open comb and liked it, but they don't have a closed comb to my knowledge. I've also had the Feather all Stainless, but could not justify it so I sold that one too.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm loving it!

68 1,416