01-08-2013, 05:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
In the Futur, this razor is going to see a lot more use...

It's the Merkur Futur in Gold.

While I may be too lazy to take my own pic,
I'm not similarly disinclined when it comes to praising it's virtues.

This razor sat in my collection for over a year without ANY attention.
Yes I admired it from afar, but always doubted it's abilities.

Aesthetically the Futur is unmatched.
The smooth lines scream design excellence and the opulent gold finish exaltedly cries elegance.
But what are either of these without performance?

To add further perspective to the glowing review I'm about to impart,
I recently sold my MINT Aristocrat Adjustable on the basis that I don't like adjustable razors!

Yesterday, I decided to use Tabula Rasa for the first time.
Similarly I thought I try I different razor for a change.

The Futur looked up at me pleading for an opportunity to win my affections.
I decided to give it one chance, expecting soon to have another item to offer on the B/S/T...

With Simpsons Jubilee in hand,
the Tabula Rasa was whipped into one of of the thickest, cushion-like lathers I've ever encountered.
The Vetiver & Tangerine was an interesting scent, not my favourite, but equally not unpleasant.
The skin care qualities are worth highlighting here too, but I won't go on as the Tabula Rasa is also worthy of it's own review.

I loaded the Futur with a Super Iridium, which is my favourite blade.
The procedure was so simple.
For those that are unaware, it's 2 piece razor and the top cap simply pops off due to a spring loaded mechanism.

Impressed thus far I introduced the instrument to my face.
The weight and size of the razor had me picturing a large eastern European tank barrel,
a shiny gold one at that,
and I expected it to manoeuvre about my face with as much the same level of grace as a WWII tank.
While it wasn't as agile as the smaller razors I usually choose in it's place,
I was still pleasantly surprised with it's ability to navigate the more difficult contours of the neck area.

I had the razor set to 5.
The first WTG pass was comfortable and trouble free, but what surprised me most was the closeness.
I re-lathered with newfound exuberance and commenced my second pass ATG.
I thought about dialling down to something MILD,
but judging the complete lack of incidents for the first pass, a setting of 5 must not have been a halfway point on the scale to WILD, so I left it as is.
The result, a second pass equally comfortable and irritation free!

I rinsed and couldn't believe the results.
My first (100% irritation free) BBS! Ever!
I always achieve pleasing results, but this was definitely a triumph!
Is this the secret weapon?
After a single use my mind is not made up, but I know one thing for sure...

I'll be going back to the Futur!

Biggrin

91 17,875
 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Ben. Good job. How difficult is it to keep the razor clean?

185 12,010
 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
An outstanding razor beautifully documented in full detail. Use it well and enjoy the ride.

100 12,449
 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I have the Futur,Vision and a Mergress LH. It's very hard not to get a great shave from any of them.

29 466
 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-08-2013, 06:08 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Thanks for the review, Ben. Good job. How difficult is it to keep the razor clean?

The razor was easy to clean post shave.

In terms of long term, I'm not sure...

(01-08-2013, 06:09 PM)slantman Wrote: An outstanding razor beautifully documented in full detail. Use it well and enjoy the ride.

Thank-you Jerry!

(01-08-2013, 06:10 PM)Samjax Wrote: I have the Futur,Vision and a Mergress LH. It's very hard not to get a great shave from any of them.

Tell me how the Vision compares. I believe it's more complicated and possibly requires more regular maintenance? Is it worth the extra effort? And extra $$$ ?

91 17,875
 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 06:52 PM)ben74 Wrote: Tell me how the Vision compares. I believe it's more complicated and possibly requires more regular maintenance? Is it worth the extra effort? And extra $$$ ?

Ben, you and I know you will buy it anyway Tongue

Only way to find out. Log on and buy it NOW! Biggrin

22 5,070
 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I've stepped away from my adjustables for a while now, but you make me want to bust out my matte finished Futur Ben.

135 1,947
 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM
User Info
Great review, Ben! i sold my Satin one a while ago, but, may be, i should try it again. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Ive got a gold one also its a close race between it and my progress both great shavers!!

115 1,692
 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
User Info
I got the shiny chrome Futur - great razor, when my R41 with Ikon Bulldog XL is too much for me to handle Cool

Feather DE blade in it and:
3-4 days growth set to 4-5
2-3 days growth set to 3-4
1-2 days growth set to 2-3

Last pass I always set it to 1-2 Blush

22 5,070
 01-08-2013, 11:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Ben. Now you have me thinking I need to try one of these.

173 23,553
 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Hey Ben - I don't think that you can get any better shave with the Vision than you can with the Futur.

I picked another Vision up recently after having sold my first one...and after hearing rumor that they may be discontinued in the near future. If they do indeed stop making them, it will be nice to own one...I can't imagine anyone else going to all the trouble to build something like the Vision anytime soon.

29 466
 01-10-2013, 12:51 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Tom, what kind of maintenance in involved with the Vision?

91 17,875
 01-10-2013, 01:19 AM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 05:54 PM)ben74 Wrote:
In the Futur, this razor is going to see a lot more use...

It's the Merkur Futur in Gold.

While I may be too lazy to take my own pic,
I'm not similarly disinclined when it comes to praising it's virtues.

This razor sat in my collection for over a year without ANY attention.
Yes I admired it from afar, but always doubted it's abilities.

Aesthetically the Futur is unmatched.
The smooth lines scream design excellence and the opulent gold finish exaltedly cries elegance.
But what are either of these without performance?

To add further perspective to the glowing review I'm about to impart,
I recently sold my MINT Aristocrat Adjustable on the basis that I don't like adjustable razors!

Yesterday, I decided to use Tabula Rasa for the first time.
Similarly I thought I try I different razor for a change.

The Futur looked up at me pleading for an opportunity to win my affections.
I decided to give it one chance, expecting soon to have another item to offer on the B/S/T...

With Simpsons Jubilee in hand,
the Tabula Rasa was whipped into one of of the thickest, cushion-like lathers I've ever encountered.
The Vetiver & Tangerine was an interesting scent, not my favourite, but equally not unpleasant.
The skin care qualities are worth highlighting here too, but I won't go on as the Tabula Rasa is also worthy of it's own review.

I loaded the Futur with a Super Iridium, which is my favourite blade.
The procedure was so simple.
For those that are unaware, it's 2 piece razor and the top cap simply pops off due to a spring loaded mechanism.

Impressed thus far I introduced the instrument to my face.
The weight and size of the razor had me picturing a large eastern European tank barrel,
a shiny gold one at that,
and I expected it to manoeuvre about my face with as much the same level of grace as a WWII tank.
While it wasn't as agile as the smaller razors I usually choose in it's place,
I was still pleasantly surprised with it's ability to navigate the more difficult contours of the neck area.

I had the razor set to 5.
The first WTG pass was comfortable and trouble free, but what surprised me most was the closeness.
I re-lathered with newfound exuberance and commenced my second pass ATG.
I thought about dialling down to something MILD,
but judging the complete lack of incidents for the first pass, a setting of 5 must not have been a halfway point on the scale to WILD, so I left it as is.
The result, a second pass equally comfortable and irritation free!

I rinsed and couldn't believe the results.
My first (100% irritation free) BBS! Ever!
I always achieve pleasing results, but this was definitely a triumph!
Is this the secret weapon?
After a single use my mind is not made up, but I know one thing for sure...

I'll be going back to the Futur!

Biggrin

Ben, great review. This razor has many advocates, I myself included maybe due to the weight of this razor no pressure at all is required...... Let the weight do all the work.

Also for me due too my medical condition: "Ra" both hands I get great feedback from this razor as well. Have not gone beyond 2.5 on the scale and I get an excellent shave, with a Polsilver Iridium.

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 01-10-2013, 02:44 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Charles, I think you are onto something there. The weight behind this razor probably provided the extra pressure that I needed for a BBS. I sat comfortably at 5 for both passes (WTG and ATG) and was rewarded with an irritation free shave. I enjoyed it so much that I'm considering the Vision, but am hesitant until I receive more information in relation to possible maintenance requirements...

91 17,875
 01-10-2013, 03:13 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Hi Ben, mid 80's in Perth I see while snowy up here in Vermont! How does the Futur shave under the nose? It's really the only reason I have not bought one yet but you make a convincing and sound argument indeed.

42 1,041
 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Max, it navigates the area under the nose surprisingly well. Prior to using it I thought there was no way that the bulky head of the Futur would reach the difficult areas under the nose. I was amazed at how well it performed and my curiosity lead me to examine the head more closely. The majority of the weight and bulk of this head is positioned at the base of the head, hence none of it gets in the way!

91 17,875
 01-10-2013, 05:01 AM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 02:44 AM)ben74 Wrote: Charles, I think you are onto something there. The weight behind this razor probably provided the extra pressure that I needed for a BBS. I sat comfortably at 5 for both passes (WTG and ATG) and was rewarded with an irritation free shave. I enjoyed it so much that I'm considering the Vision, but am hesitant until I receive more information in relation to possible maintenance requirements...

Hello Ben, I have the Vision as well. But I had great problem's at first re: Care & Maintenance, it was for me a bit of a nightmare... possibly due too my "Ra" the stripping down gave me a bit of an headache more than once.

One thing on this model, it is top heavy, more so than the futur. But the TTO door's work a treat, the fit and finish is excellent and are very well made very pleasing to look at. And a very comfortable shave, a bit different when you dial NOT numbers.. but the words VISION instead.

The only gripe I have is it is a bit difficult to manuvrer due too it's bulk "head" getting under the nose. But a very good razor..... Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

0 2,340
 01-10-2013, 05:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Charles, thank-you for the information. I hope you don't mind if I press you for a little more... As I explained in response to Max's question, I felt the Futur had an oversized head, but that the size was distributed predominately to the base of the razor head. Is it the same with the Vision? My other question relates to care and maintenance. What exactly is inviolved in owning and using this razor in terms of ensuring its continued performance?

91 17,875
 01-10-2013, 07:20 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Hey Ben...well, when you tear it down, the Vision takes a bit more time than well...any other razor I can think of. Undecided

Here's a video that will show you how it's done.

29 466