01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
User Info
I wonder who out there has 100+ brushes in your collection Smile

I'm down scaling my collection at the moment, never reached beyond 58 badger brushes Blush

I know Dr. P and Ben have 100+ in their collection, but are there others out there - Ercan do you have 100+ in your collection ?

I'm down to 48 badgers now, and I feel inadequate and like a dwarf already Tongue

Have you had the time to use all your badgers 5-6 times to test them out properly and give them their chances ?

When did you start collecting ?

I started May-June last year......

I hope maybe Mark, owner of Vulfix and Simpson will post a couple of pics of his brush collection one day, but all are very welcome to post their collection or just tell their story in this thread: WHY AND WHEN DID YOU START COLLECTING BRUSHES ?

Just darn curious Biggrin

24 5,840
 01-08-2013, 11:39 PM
User Info
Chirchillafemme john ,Dr.P peter , ben74 ben ,CHSeifert Claus these are high end brush and shaving gears collectors..
My collection is over 100 but mostly vintage butterscotch ,culmaks,rooneys,Simpsons and others..
of course i have had many brushes before visited butterscotch eye candy thread but than i started to collect vintage butterscotch brushes too and i very much like to restore them..
im sure there are many big collectioners in the world and dont like to post public..

Claus my friend;
you asked im added my blog including some of my brushes ,razors.blades ,soaps and creams .. i hope this is not against the rule ..
Here my shaving items..
http://jiletvetiras.blogspot.com/p/tras-...tleri.html

Greetings
Ercan.

3 391
 01-09-2013, 04:07 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Ecran, you have a truly outstanding brush collection my friend.

99 18,011
 01-09-2013, 04:44 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
Ercan,

Thanks for the pictures - an utterly magnificent collection.

W

0 295
 01-09-2013, 05:14 AM
User Info
Outstanding collection, melyus! W00tThumbup

I don't have a 100+ collection, maybe nearly half of that number, if so... but I stopped counting some time ago Biggrin

2 5,545
 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
User Info
Beautiful collection, Ercan. Thanks for sharing. Although I don't intentionally collect butterscotches, I love to see images of them.

206 12,189
 01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
  • texquill
  • Olver Warbucks
  • Richardson - DFW area of Texas
User Info
Among the herd, I've accumulated 85 Simpsons, including several Somersets. I have a total of 100 brushes catalogued, but I have another 30+ that either (1) I'm unsure of the manufacture or (2) I'm too lazy/uninspired to add to the list!

30 237
 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Ercan, excellent collection of brushes.

12 743
 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM
User Info
I was in the mid-twenties last I bothered to count; like no other product, u can always add a __nth brush and after awhile determine that while you got it because it does ___ well that your ___ does not, you wish it ___ as good as your ___ does.

They're like tripods; living gravity models of compromise.

0 72
 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You gentlemen have a problem. No, wait a minute, I'm the one with the problem. You have the collections, I don't. Eye candy galore.Shok

175 23,752
 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
User Info
Nice to hear from all you guys Smile
I knew you were out there hiding in the shadows Biggrin

I may never stop collecting brushes and DE razors, but somehow I'm more picky about razors and find some of them utterly useless for my beard, while most of the badgers I've bought have all performed at least pretty good, maybe not great, but pretty good to marvelous performance wise.

This is why I will not stop collecting brushes - NEVER EVER !

But reaching 100+ I just may not do that before 2020 or so, because I'm getting picky about the brushes I own now. Only 8.5/10, 9/10 or 10/10 I'll keep, the rest are going out on BST Cool

But getting into personal contact with some of the finest brush makers in the world and having the option of ordering custom taylor made brushes to meet my specific needs may just be what drives me towards the 100+ mark, but in the long run, not on a short term basis.

I already feel I have almost any knot size in any hair type I could personally imagine I would enjoy for face lathering, and I only own 48, so I have to start bowl/scuttle lathering again or find the need for a Polo10 Manchurian type of brush for face lathering to get my SBAD back in gear once again Cool Tongue

But Teiste did recommend me to get the boar-badger mixed Semogue LE 2012 brush and this might open a new door for me. I received it today, and it's a wonderful brush, with an even more wonderful handle - maybe the best handle I have ever felt and held in my hands. Maybe if they added 20% extra weight and it would feel more solid, this handle would be a 10/10, now it's a 9/10 or even 9.5/10 on my personal ranking list Thumbup

But I'm rambling here, sorry for that Shy - as said, it's a joy to watch your collections and see them evolve and grow.
For 2013 I personally can't see myself buying more Shavemac custom brushes, as I'm now up to 14.......

Thäters are done also, maybe add an anthracite Bruyers wood in 2-Band Bulb 24 mm and I'm done with Thäters.

Simpson seem to be going in a quite interesting direction IMHO
They may have raised prices, but not so much if you already buy special Editon brushes from Mark, and you buy them in 2-3-4 at a time. Yes, they are quite expensive, but quality so far has not let me down. I only own 8 Simpsons, so I have a few steps to go before I reach Dr. P's 1000+ Simpson collection Tongue

Rooney seem to be stuck at the moment - you get the occasional old stock Rooney, like the Beehive 2-Band Super I bought from them and the Coral 3-1 3-Band, but other than that, they are now moving in any direction. But why mess with perfection, some would argue Wink

Lee Sabini and his M&F brushes is a quite exciting project. Love that you can order everything custom made, and he will do his best to meet with your expectations.
Also love his crazy handle colors. A shame about the less than stellar communication some experience, when dealing with Lee. But if you want a Lee S made M&F brush, you must know that you have to have patience - 2-5 weeks patience Tongue
But it's worthwhile !

Regarding Semogue, I hope they continue releasing their Owners Club and limited edition models, since they to me are very high quality brushes for a very fair price.

Vie Long is an interesting brush maker. We have Phil from Bullgoose ordering some pretty amazing quality brushes in custom designed handles and knots, and then we have Juan from Giftsandcare that can basically custom order you anything from Bie Long, for a very fair price too.

I look forward to 2013, but I may not buy more than 10-12 brushes this year.....but it will be a fun year of testing all my newly acquired brushes more thoroughly and maybe sell some and add some instead of them !

24 5,840
 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 11:39 PM)melyus Wrote: Chirchillafemme john ,Dr.P peter , ben74 ben ,CHSeifert Claus these are high end brush and shaving gears collectors..
My collection is over 100 but mostly vintage butterscotch ,culmaks,rooneys,Simpsons and others..
of course i have had many brushes before visited butterscotch eye candy thread but than i started to collect vintage butterscotch brushes too and i very much like to restore them..
im sure there are many big collectioners in the world and dont like to post public..

Claus my friend;
you asked im added my blog including some of my brushes ,razors.blades ,soaps and creams .. i hope this is not against the rule ..
Here my shaving items..
http://jiletvetiras.blogspot.com/p/tras-...tleri.html

Greetings
Ercan.
That is very nice, how much time did it take you to collect?

We wouldn't mind a few pics here........

Attached Files Image(s)

0 606
 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
User Info
All I can say is WOW!

32 6,445
 01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
User Info
I'm gonna have to dig through my old pm's, so I can post the discussion's I used to have with Claus about how he should try brush x,y,z and he would tell me no, his Muhle is all he needed lol classic.

0 654
 01-10-2013, 03:26 AM
User Info
i've found the perfect display shelf to show and store your collections most treasured brushes: like a jewel case for brushes and manmade in a complex joinery technique called edo sashimono in yellow birch and glass sliding doors by tokyo based master craftsmen watanabe noboru & son akira - this exquisite and handsome display will set you back around € 3000

read interview with father & son and see some of their works at edocraft

7 1,624
 01-10-2013, 03:32 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
25 Simpson era Somersets and 5 David Carter era Somersets. 2 Isle of Man Simpsons, Thaters, Rooney & M&F. Thanks to my fathers love of the Simpson brush company. Nearing 88 he has never shaved with anything but a brush. Thank god I was the son who inherited this tradition!

42 1,041
 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
I still have 4 brushes on their way to me, and just sold 6-7 brushes, but this is my current smallish collection, no way close to 100+, but 47-48 brushes in finest badger hair quality and only one mixed boar-badger (The Semogue LE 2012)

[Image: sapy9esa.jpg]
[Image: qyhy8yby.jpg]
[Image: ade8usav.jpg]

One is missing from the picture, my Davinchi 296, which currently resides at my GF's condo Biggrin

24 5,840
 01-11-2013, 05:35 AM
User Info
I will have a count but must be in the region of 50 post clearout. I just like using brushes but can't admit to myself I'm a collector so I'm saying I'm not Smile

7 1,182