01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
I'm a devout La Toja shaving soap fan. It's my favourite soap bar none. Love the regular stick and the now defunct Manantiales. I think they're both very close in performance.

I've avoided trying the La Toja shaving creams primarily because I went through a long period of abandoning creams altogether in favour of soaps - and this is when I discovered the La Toja stick.

Recently I've reintroduced creams into my den and though I continue to favour soaps, I'm enjoying both now. I still wasn't anxious to try the La Toja creams because I felt I probably was just going to be disappointed relative to their soaps; and also because I had read numerous accounts of how the lather from the Sensitive version (the one that generally gets better reviews than their regular cream) can be on the thin side; still effective but thin. This didn't particularly appeal to me. However I recently made a purchase from a vendor who was selling the cream for under $5.00 so I couldn't resist tacking it onto my order. And am I ever glad I did.

La Toja Sensitive ranks up there with the very best creams available, regardless of price. The scent, which I was sure at best would be similar to the soap, is in fact different but at least as inviting. It’s fresh, clean goodness; not too strong, not too weak - and not cologne-like; cologne scents rarely work for me.

The performance is just top-notch. I found another fantastic, cheap cream recently – Proraso Red. The performance of La Toja reminded me of it immediately. It goes on thick and rich and stays that way without drying out, offering one of the most protective and close shaves I’ve had in a long time. The cream has cushion, slickness, skin conditioning and a terrific scent to boot and has become one of my favourite products. I will say that I use a generous dollop of this product and that may explain why I have never experienced the thinness that others have mentioned. But it comes in a huge tube - bigger than any other shaving cream tube I have tried - so it will last a very long time regardless. I wish I had taken the plunge years ago.

27 353
 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM
User Info
I'm glad you've seen the light. Fantastic stuff. You can pick it up for 3€ in Spain and I'm going to be in Madrid next week and will be restocking for sure.

8 243
 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
User Info
Love it too - both the Sensitive as well as the Regular version in the tubes !

The tubes are same size as the 3 Proraso tubes by the way : 150 ml

22 5,052
 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

Vice review, adding it to my shaving creams to try list...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. I found this to be a very good cream as well although I didn't like the scent. One of these days I will pick up a tube of the regular La Toja Cream.

45 3,955
 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
User Info
(01-09-2013, 02:56 PM)tgutc Wrote: Thanks for the review. I found this to be a very good cream as well although I didn't like the scent. One of these days I will pick up a tube of the regular La Toja Cream.

me as well. it was too perfumey, so i ended up using it as a test lathering cream for brushes etc.

8 2,718
 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Excellent review!
I dont like any of the La Toja shaving creams since I find them not as good as the stick.

86 7,123
 01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-08-2013, 11:17 PM)jodypress Wrote: I'm glad you've seen the light. Fantastic stuff. You can pick it up for 3€ in Spain and I'm going to be in Madrid next week and will be restocking for sure.

My only complaint with the cream is that the box is honking HUGE! It makes it look like you'll be getting 500ml.

45 16,305
 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
Ibet you guy,s will not belive this but i have never used eny La Toja product.I hear great revew,s about it as a first class all round shaving product.But i would love to try the shaving stick as i have enough soaps and creams so shaving stick is for me.My problem is i cant find the La Toja shaving stick for sale in the united kingdom i have looked but no luck,if enybody nows of a u.k.outlet that would be great as i would love to give the shave stick a go.

0 26
 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:50 AM)SELHOV. Wrote: Ibet you guy,s will not belive this but i have never used eny La Toja product.I hear great revew,s about it as a first class all round shaving product.But i would love to try the shaving stick as i have enough soaps and creams so shaving stick is for me.My problem is i cant find the La Toja shaving stick for sale in the united kingdom i have looked but no luck,if enybody nows of a u.k.outlet that would be great as i would love to give the shave stick a go.

Enjoy!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-SPANISH-LA-T...2a25fba887

88 4,233
 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review I don't have the cream, but I have the sticks.

91 17,828
 01-10-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
I have used both La Toja creams as well as their shave stick. I find the La Toja shave stick to be particularly good and prefer it to either of their creams.

I am also fond of both the La Toja Manantiales After Shave Lotion and Balm which I prefer to their regular after shave lotion and balm.

0 3,341
 01-13-2013, 04:45 AM
  • brg
  • Portugal
User Info
It is a good cream, I really like the scent. I agree with the thinness of the lather by default, however it is a very "sticky" cream (reminds me of ABB) and provides adequate protection.
The price is right, and although the tube is huge I believe it gets used up much faster, because it is not as hard as other creams.
But at the end of the day I still prefer the soap stick Wink

0 46
 01-13-2013, 04:55 AM
User Info
I just bought some of the La Toja sensitive, and I'm very pleased with the performance. Although after a couple of uses, the scent smells kind of funky in the tube. Once I get it out of the tube it's is fine. I found that kind of strange.

0 54
 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
User Info
I've used one tube, and thought it was pretty good. I didn't experience the thin lather at all. If anything, I thought it took quite a bit more water than most of my other creams.
About half way through the tube, I realized it contained SLS, and it kind of fell out of favor with me. I didn't have any problems with it, but SLS is not an ingredient found in most of the other premium creams available, and I'd rather not use it on my face.

It worked well enough, but I won't be re-buying it

1 77