01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gentlemen :

what are your main preferences when getting a new badger hair brush?

Let me tell you mine :

-The knot shouldnt be higher than 24 mm.Have I used badger brushes with bigger knots?I truly had , but my perfect measure is between 21 and 23 mm of knot.I do face lather and I find that is the perfect knot size for my likes.

-I do prefer 3 band badger hair than 2 band badger hair , but some types of 2 band badger hair behaves actually like the 3 band badger hair that I like.

-I dont like extra firm backbone , as it seems its the trend in the shaving forums for the last years.I want flow and some backbone , but not extra firm like a stick.

-I do like also extra soft tips , I dont care if "gel alike" , "velvety" or "cloud" soft.I dont want any scratchiness at all , either some of those prickly ones ,and I tolerate some "scritchiness" or "scrubinness" . If I want some scritchiness , I will go for certain boar bushes , wich are much cheaper than badger.

-I also dont like extra , super dense , pack with hair badger brushes.I like a medium/high packed with hair brush.I find these kind of brushes build and release the lather much better than extra packed with hair ones , but I do enjoy , once in a while , an extra packed one.

What about you , gentlemen , what do you like on a badger brush ?

86 7,123
 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
As a rule I like the bigger knots, 28mm and 30mm, to me they equate to extra luxury. Lately I've been using some smaller 23mm knots and like them very well too. I want backbone but no scritch or pricklyness, soft but firm. Density is nice but not at the cost of flow through or the brush being a lather hog. This seems to be the finest of lines to me and given the choice will take less density but hopefully just slightly. Generally, I would say I prefer 3 band.

12 743
 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
User Info
huge knot is important

dense knot is even more imperative

short loft, i dislike flop

0 193
 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I look for good backbone with good flow through also. I don't mind some scritch so I like good 2-band brushes. I prefer a knot 24mm or under.

45 3,955
 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
User Info
Most 3-Bands: Knot size between 23-25 mm, loft not higher than 52 mm - and in bulb shape

Most 2-bands: Knot size between 23-28 mm, loft not higher than 54 mm - and either bulb or fan shape

22 5,043
 01-10-2013, 03:21 AM
User Info
I don't really have a preference anymore, I just buy a brush since I can make it work regardless; I do however, dislike short loft 2 band brushes.

I think my next badger brush might have to be another Vulfix actually.

0 652
 01-10-2013, 05:25 AM
User Info
1. NOT 2-band
2. Can fit in a Tabac bowl

That's it

2 697
 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'm still fairly inexperienced compared to a lot of guys here (I own six different badger brushes) but my preferences are coming into focus. I've owned a pure, a TGN super silvertip, a Vulfix super, an SOC 2-band, WSP Prince in finest, and Simpson Commodore in best.

1. Soft tips - can be a little "scritchy."
2. Enough backbone to make for a nice facial massage.
3. Good flow for making a thick lather
4. 22-24mm knot
5. 50-54mm loft

Any one of these could be negotiable if the other factors are really exceptional. For instance, my new WSP Prince is shorter than I generally like, but it's got such a nice knot in every other way that I don't mind.

I think I lean toward a nice quality 2-band brush, followed up by a firm 3-band/super/best knot.

10 1,858
 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
soft with substantial backbone without being floopy and very dense.

0 37
 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
  • DEW
User Info
(01-09-2013, 10:50 AM)Teiste Wrote: Gentlemen :

what are your main preferences when getting a new badger hair brush?

Let me tell you mine :

-The knot shouldnt be higher than 24 mm.Have I used badger brushes with bigger knots?I truly had , but my perfect measure is between 21 and 23 mm of knot.I do face lather and I find that is the perfect knot size for my likes.

-I do prefer 3 band badger hair than 2 band badger hair , but some types of 2 band badger hair behaves actually like the 3 band badger hair that I like.

-I dont like extra firm backbone , as it seems its the trend in the shaving forums for the last years.I want flow and some backbone , but not extra firm like a stick.

-I do like also extra soft tips , I dont care if "gel alike" , "velvety" or "cloud" soft.I dont want any scratchiness at all , either some of those prickly ones ,and I tolerate some "scritchiness" or "scrubinness" . If I want some scritchiness , I will go for certain boar bushes , wich are much cheaper than badger.

-I also dont like extra , super dense , pack with hair badger brushes.I like a medium/high packed with hair brush.I find these kind of brushes build and release the lather much better than extra packed with hair ones , but I do enjoy , once in a while , an extra packed one.

What about you , gentlemen , what do you like on a badger brush ?

I like a 20MM knot is perfect for me a face lather person. I also like the pure TGN badger better than the finest TGN in say 23mm knot, just way to much lather for me. I guess the perfect Knot would be the pure from TGN right amount of loft, lather, stiffness, and very little prickly fell. But everyone is different.

2 44
 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
22-24 mm firm knot, 50-57 mm loft, soft tips, good flow through, soap killer. Oh wait a minute, I have about 22 of those, but they are all boars.SmiliePig

173 23,486
 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
I generally prefer a large knot (28-30mm) with good backbone and soft tips. I like both über soft tips and tips with slight scrubbiness, but my face doesn't tolerate any real scritch. I really prefer 3 band brushes but lately I have aquired a few really great two bands, with the Jubilee being my absolute favorite of the group. I face lather exclusively so decent backbone and good flow thru are pretty important to me. All in all, here are my favorite knots/hair types:

Simpson three band super
WSP HMW
Simpson Manchurian (lesser dense, like the Jubilee----> Eliminates the scritch)
Thäter two and three band.

(02-15-2013, 07:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: 22-24 mm firm knot, 50-57 mm loft, soft tips, good flow through, soap killer. Oh wait a minute, I have about 22 of those, but they are all boars.SmiliePig

I picture you walking into the den in the early morning yelling "sooie" and all your boars line up for a chance to be used. Tongue

63 2,128
 02-17-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
Medium size (22-25mm), medium density (I make an exception for a Chubby 2), loft around 50mm, good flow through and flex on face. SOFT TIPS!!!

Thäter 3 Band (the ultimate soft brush)
Simpson 2 Band (I guess you know that)
WSP/VB 2 Band

I am going to sell most of the other brushes...

31 1,554
 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
FIRM enough to push back, soft scrub, no flop, dense knot w/good flow, 22mm knot, less than 50mm loft (44-48). Handle must not be too bulky for the knot-which happens a lot these days. I don't know what brush this is yet.........maybe Simpson CL2?.....Can't say since I haven't used one. Still looking.........

Vic

32 362
 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I lather in a bowl and I have found the traditional Semogue silvertips in standard density (2015, 2040, and 730) to be the perfect brushes for me.

I look for a decidedly fan-shaped brush in silvertip.
It should be of medium density or slightly less for lathering efficiency.
It should have a knot of 20 - 22mm and a loft of at least 55mm, to give it some flex for light vertical compression of the forming lather.
It should hold its shape with only minor expansion during lathering. I don't want it to bloom into an amorphous blob during use.

I had despaired of finding a fan-shaped silvertip brush with these performance characteristics, so I had settled on pure badger until I happened upon these wonderful brushes from Semogue. Unfortunately, I have found that the Limited Edition and SOC Semogues, while better suited to a face-lathering majority, don't work for me, as they tend to be more rounded, too dense, and too stiff.

- Murray

4 1,150