01-09-2013, 01:23 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I was wondering what is a grey badger knot, what is the quality?
Has anyone had any experience using one?

1 3,507
 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have used several kind of "grey badger" hair.Some arent callend "greay badger" but "best badger" like the Edwin Jagger brushes.Vie Long has some kind of grey badger , which is kind of different than the Edwin Jagger one.And I have tried a badger knot of grey badger , which basically behaved like silvertip , but its was totally grey in color.
What kind I say ? Depending on the brush maker , the hair could be a real nice one , with soft tips and nice amount of flow , or scratchy , like the Edwin Jagger one , and kind of floppy.

86 7,123
 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
(01-09-2013, 01:23 PM)Howler Wrote: I was wondering what is a grey badger knot, what is the quality?
Has anyone had any experience using one?

It refers to hair of a certain grade. Just below that of best badger. (there's not all that many grades of M. meles hair to be honest, so it's technically 2nd from the bottom).

As usual, there is variance between manufacturers. Some overlap between best & grey.

The hair is characterized by the grey colored tips instead of the normal dirty white. The tips are unbleached. The hair is harvested from the sides and butt of the meles meles.

9 2,988
 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Good question Howler, I was wondering the same thing.

45 3,955
 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
Great info, gents, and great question, Brad!

75 20,883
 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(01-09-2013, 01:52 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: It refers to hair of a certain grade. Just below that of best badger. (there's not all that many grades of M. meles hair to be honest, so it's technically 2nd from the bottom).

As usual, there is variance between manufacturers. Some overlap between best & grey.

The hair is characterized by the grey colored tips instead of the normal dirty white. The tips are unbleached. The hair is harvested from the sides and butt of the meles meles.

And here I thought it was just like pure/black badger hair. Pure badger in a different color.

Thanks, you're a useful guy to have around. Thumbsup

10 1,858
 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
User Info
(01-09-2013, 01:52 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: The hair is harvested from the sides and butt of the meles meles.

So Brad has himself an ass brush. I'm making a mental note to stay away from his BST items for a bit.

129 6,685
 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 09:20 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 01:52 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: It refers to hair of a certain grade. Just below that of best badger. (there's not all that many grades of M. meles hair to be honest, so it's technically 2nd from the bottom).

And here I thought it was just like pure/black badger hair. Pure badger in a different color.

Thanks, you're a useful guy to have around. Thumbsup

Pure badger is comprised of hair that doesn't make the cut for best. It can come from anywhere on the badger, but mostly from the belly and sides. It's basically grey badger but for the coloring.

Due to the low priority, it includes a lot of castoffs.

9 2,988
 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
(01-10-2013, 09:57 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 01:52 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: The hair is harvested from the sides and butt of the meles meles.

So Brad has himself an ass brush. I'm making a mental note to stay away from his BST items for a bit.

I have not purchased one yetLaughing1
I was looking at brush selections from Barbiere di Figaro, they had grey badger brushes.
Hmm I was curious what type of hair it was.

1 3,507
 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
User Info
It's quite soft and good. But so is high quality pure badger.

I don't think you will be disappointed. Just a little bit scritchier than best badger.

Depends on how many broken ends are in the knot of course. Which will vary across sorters.

9 2,988
 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
I guess too it depends on whom you plan on getting the badger from. Looking at Plisson's site, they sell three grades. Black badger being the lowest grade, Gray badger being the middle and European White as their top end.

Using Plisson as the model I would think their Gray is above others "best". It looks like other's silvertip to me.

http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/1610...ete%5B1%5D

Bottom of the page.

129 6,685
 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I got given a Kent BK2 for Xmas by a friend and wasn't expecting much from the brush tbh as Kent's Grey Badger knot is supposed to be a grade down from there Best grade of hair and akin to a Pure Badger knot.

I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised - it's not as soft at the tips as the various Silvertips, Vulfx & EJ Super's or Simpson's Best & Super brushes I have, however, it feels a lot nicer than any pure badger brush I've used and is far softer at the tips than the Kent and Rooney Best brushes I've used.

It's also proving to be an excellent bowl lathering brush with soaps and creams alike.

32 638
 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
It all depends who the knot comes from...For example, Shavemac makes a knot they call Finest (which is rather gray with whitish tips) that I think happens to be their best knot offering. Also Rooney has a Pure badger that feels excellent to my face, as does Simpsons from the Somerset era.

I did have a Muhle brush once that was gray that was VERY scubby...in fact, it felt like a new broom on my face, but eventually it broke in and became a very nice soap brush. Your mileage may vary...

68 1,416
 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 02:59 PM)wingdo Wrote: I guess too it depends on whom you plan on getting the badger from. Looking at Plisson's site, they sell three grades. Black badger being the lowest grade, Gray badger being the middle and European White as their top end.

Using Plisson as the model I would think their Gray is above others "best". It looks like other's silvertip to me.

http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/1610...ete%5B1%5D

Bottom of the page.

Looks like 2 band hair to me. Take my assessment for what it's worth though. I don't have one.

9 2,988