01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I have particularly nasty dandruff. My dandruff LAUGHS at pyrithine zinc. Selenium sulfide works OK. GENERIC T-Gel works better and even better if alternated with selenium sulfide. Has anyone had any TRUE success with any all-natural treatments?

2 334
 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I used to have moderate dandruff and very itchy scalp for pretty much the first 35 years of my life and nothing ever worked. A couple of years ago I decided to try shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soaps...the Ayurvedic Herb and Tea Tree & Neem to be specific. After about 2 weeks my dandruff disappeared and has never come back, I think it was a combination of no longer using SLS containing shampoos and the herbs/tea tree oil in the shampoo bars.

It takes a bit of getting used to and your hair feels a bit strange for the first week or so but once your hair adjusts it's really really nice, my hair is always healthy looking and soft now. Some recommend the vinegar rinses once a week with shampoo bars, but I've found I never really need them..as always YMMV. They might seem a bit expensive at 7-8 bucks per bar, but they're very large 7oz bars and very concentrated and dense. I usually slice the bars in half and each half lasts a month.

31 1,510
 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM
User Info
try A'llafia shampoo with neem or organix south with neem....hmmm, just from reading Arcadies testimony I might try Chagrin Valley Soaps

4 158
 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
I've had success with most natural of shampoos. It's called no shampoo, just water and a brush. Allow your scalp to come back into balance. There is a "No Poo" thread here that discusses it.

Here's a link that has a link. >>>>> Click here<<<<<

32 6,308
 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Thanks for the help. I have a VERY oily complexion and scalp and wii check out your recommendations.

2 334
 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
User Info
BL, I didn't forget you. I tried to find the site that clued me in, but google has been useless for that.

There are many causes for dandruff and itchy scalp (D&IS).

My D&IS would get worse the more I shampooed it. Then I decided to do some research. I found one site (can't find it now) that explained that shampooing the hair made the problem worse, and that was exactly what I saw.

OK, the one potential problem is this. There is a fungus that feeds off of the oil (sebum) that the scalp secretes. The scalp monitors this oil and when it gets low it signals for the scalp to make more. Shampooing and removing the sebum makes this much worse. The scalp monitors and detects low sebum levels and it cranks up production. The fungus that feeds on sebum loves this and produces the flakes we know as dandruff, and also produces oily hair and scalp. Shampooing just makes the cycle worse.

No Poo has a period where nothing is in control... not the scalp, not the fungus, or the shampoo. But persevere, wash/brush everyday w/o soap/shampoo and see after a month that things don't improve. It might take longer in your case, but persevere.

No promises because there are also other dandruff causes but it costs nothing to try it.

32 6,308
 01-14-2013, 04:42 PM
User Info
Have you tried Nizoral?

12 1,243
 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I, too, am an advocate of the no shampoo method. I have not used any product on my hair for 30 years. I keep my hair short and keep it clean by throughly washing it with just hot water under the shower. I use a scalp brush and I am meticulous about keeping it clean that way. I have not had any dandruff at all since. Perseverence is the key and having short hair helps a lot. You have nothing to lose, and your dignity and health to gain.

Incidentally, all the male members of my family are bald, on both sides, nephews, everyone and I can tell you there are a lot of them. I am the ONLY male member with a full head of hair, other than the male children. I can't help thinking, sometimes...

0 1,620
 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM
User Info
Neutrogena T-GEl is what really works. Coal Tar suspensions target Dandruff - they are stronger versions of T-Gel but they require a perscription. Have to leave the stuff on your head about 5 mins for it to really work

4 108
 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 01:49 PM)mehere Wrote: Neutrogena T-GEl is what really works. Coal Tar suspensions target Dandruff - they are stronger versions of T-Gel but they require a perscription. Have to leave the stuff on your head about 5 mins for it to really work

T-Gel is probably the most effective anti dandruff shampoo I have used.

That said, I no longer have a dandruff issue as I have changed my regime. I use a Tea Tree oil based shampoo most of the time, but the big change for me was in my day to day hair care. I moved from gels etc to tame my curly / wavy hair to using Organix Shea Butter oil. The oils it puts into my hai and scalp have totally stopped any dandruff issues, and I now use any shampoo I want and still have no issues. My hair looks and feels much healthier as well.

129 6,685
 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Must be something to the tea tree oil . I have had oily hair and a bit of a dandruff problem but 20 years ago I switched to the Herbal Shampoo with tea tree and Geranium oil from Madina Industrial Corporation.

This is the simplest and most inexpensive shampoo around
about $2 a bottle and its the only shampoo that works for me,keeps my hair and scalp normal and its light enough to use daily.

15 541
 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I'm try and find me some TEA TREE shampoo. The washing without shampoo is out of the question. My skin is so oily before my wreck, I showered in the morning and before going to bed. If I didn't shampoo my head would grease stain my recliner, pillow cases, etc. I am a profuse sweater as well. I will go the tea tree route.

2 334
 01-24-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
Coal tar based soaps as in Neutrogena T-Gel have been proven to work and most derms will agree with me. There are stronger versions by script for cola tar perpertions

4 108
 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I tried the TEA TREE shampoo. A BIG no go. For the first time in my life I got dandruff on the SIDES of my head. Will go back to alternating between T-Gel and Selsun Blue.

2 334
 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
My Dermatologist suggested beer and honey for my scalp. Without being too descriptive I had flaking and peeling sort of like after a sun-burn, and so I have been using Guiness Stout mixed with regular honey as a washing agent and my condition has gotten MUCH better. All I do Is pour it over my scalp and let it soak while I shower, then rinse and towel my head. The itch is gone and the sebaceous cysts I had gotten have all but dissappeared. I mix a new batch every Sunday, and it keeps pretty well in a dark cool place. 6-parts beer for 4-parts honey. **EDIT...I get the Honey from WINCO in bulk, and I've noticed it is less thick than the typical bottled variety. You can up the beer amount if the honey is really thick, I suppose.

Of course, don't take my word for it...check with your dermatologist first...but it works for me.

68 1,416
 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
FWIW, there is another approach to this, and you get it straight out of your water tap. It's called water. I'm not trying to be a wise guy.

A lot of scalp and hair problems are CAUSED by "stuff". Using "no poo", that is just water allows the scalp and hair to return to a natural state. That's exactly where it wants to be. We screw it over with "stuff".

Just use water and "shampoo" with water with every shower. I also use a flat brush I got from Australia to stimulate the scalp. After about a month of this treatment you'll find that your need for "stuff" is nil. Just give the scalp/hair the water treatment no less than every other day and you're good.

Yes, I know, folks have oily hair. It's oily because it's stripped of the oils it wants, so it produces 10x what it needs to compensate. Don't strip it of the oils and it'll respond and stop overproducing oil. That's what takes the month therabouts. The scalp needs to know you're not going to eff it over anymore.

I had hair/scalp problems as well. Then I did some research and found what I just wrote and all of the things that contributed to the problem. I stopped using detergent shampoo, actually all shampoo, and my hair scalp is in balance today. My hair is no longer perfumed from shampoo, but it doesn't smell either, because it's washed with water. It's also in balance and all of my hair/scalp issues are gone.

Yes, I know it's going to take courage to attempt. I can't help there. You're on your own with that.

32 6,308
 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
My complexion is VERY OILY as is my scalp. My dandruff is thick and almost waxy. I wear a crew cut. It seems to get better in the summer when there is more sun and I forget to wear a hat. I sunburn easily. I'll try NIZORAL next.

2 334
 04-27-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
(04-25-2013, 03:31 PM)Blue line Wrote: My complexion is VERY OILY as is my scalp. My dandruff is thick and almost waxy. I wear a crew cut. It seems to get better in the summer when there is more sun and I forget to wear a hat. I sunburn easily. I'll try NIZORAL next.
Blue line,you sound to me as if you have the exact same problem I used to have,if you gently scratch your head with a fingernail can you feel the raised surface of what feel like small scab type bumps dotted here and there on your scalp.?
I was prescribed here in the UK with something called polytar shampoo, I'm sure it's available in America.
Like ANY shampoo you HAVE to give it TIME to start working,I gave it about 6 weeks.Plus, alternate it every now and again with some other shampoo that you feel helps your condition.
Best wishes and good luck.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I just got a scalp brush and am using the Walmart generic version of TEGRIN. it's thick, green and NASTY! I alternate it with a generic T-GEL. I bet if I let it sit while I was everything else it would work better.

2 334
 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've recently gone back to a buzz cut and have gone the way of using no product and a good scalp scrub with hot water and a shampoo/scalp brush. I do use a bit of tonic after showering though for that nice scent and cool tingle.

31 1,510