01-10-2013, 04:43 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I want to like it, but just can't decide whether I need time to adjust to vetiver/vetyver or just gag and run away. I find myself going to the quite nice looking bottle and sniffing it and sometimes I think, hmm, it's ok really, then I sometimes think, hmm, it just smells a bit wrong, somehow. Everyone's different, yes, naturally, but I am wondering what others feel about this balm/fragrance? As a balm it really is very good IMO, but the fragrance? Sour and unripe or something? Vomity even? Or is it like the gene thing, you know, which some folk have for picking up the stink of asparagus in your pee, while some can't detect it at all? I can; wife can't (but just as well..). Maybe if it is a gene thing, to some chaps it may smell like heaven in a bottle (umm, the balm, I mean)?

0 1,622
 01-11-2013, 05:38 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
No-one uses this product then? I am interested to know if vetyver appeals to the people here or if they have a strong aversion to it.

0 1,622
 01-11-2013, 06:57 AM
User Info
I haven't used that product, but I do have a few items with Vetiver: Cyril Salter vetiver cream and Royall Vetyver AS. On the cream it's the featured, prominent scent -- if there's anything else in there I don't know what it is. Vetiver in your face: a great cream, a challenging scent. On the Royall it's balanced in with other tones like maybe woodsiness or muskiness. It's actually really nice stuff; I wouldn't want a splash or EdT with vetiver featured more prominently.

As for vetiver itself, I'm kind of with you. I really want to like it. And I do like it -- just not sure it's a scent I can fully embrace for shaving. As I say, it's challenging. It's a scent to think about, a good one for the intellect but maybe not for the ladies. Earthy as the grave...but nice. Even when I don't like a scent right away with the good-scent mmmm grin, I still like to think about it.

Not a daily driver, but a good for a rainy day contemplative shave.

9 166
 01-15-2013, 04:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Vetiver is one of those scents that is rather polarising... You either love it or hate it... I happen to belong to the first group!

91 17,823
 01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I added a few drops of a lovely cologne from a sample I received and it has totally transformed this balm. Now I love it and can feel it instead of being problematised by the scent. The vetyver is slightly there still, and I can cope with that level of faintness quite well indeed.

0 1,622
 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
User Info
I just started using this and agree that the fragrance takes a little getting used to

It soothes the skin very rapidly though

0 21