01-10-2013, 12:19 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
Today was my 4th wet shave. I have posted about my 3rd one on the thread about razor burn. The 3rd shave (bad reaction or razor burn) was this past Sunday, so I waited 4 days thinking maybe it healed.
Prep:
1. wash face with Musgo Real
2. Lathered up and hot towel
3. Lathered face

2. Murad Razor Burn Rescue
3. Jack Black Cooling After shave gel

Let me say that I used Col Conk soap. I got an okay lather (as good as I did on my practice run yesterday). I did a WTG pass, then 2 XTG passes, then 1 ATG passes above jawline, and another WTG pass jawline and below.

The good:
I tried a new blade - Astra Superior Platinum. Much much (much) better feel to it than the Merkur.

The bad:
Lather got as creamy as I could get it. I actually think it was okay until later passes. That is where I believe I messed up. Because the lather wasn't that creamy for last 2 passes I decided to add just a small bit of CO Bigelow. It creamed up nicely. I never noticed razor burn before that point.

*So I'm thinking that my skin doesn't react well to the CO Bigelow cream very well.

After the shave I put some Murad Razor Burn Rescue on my skin. Now I'm thinking I may be allergic to that because rather than lightening the redness it looked to me like it got worse.

I didn't get the very smooth shave that people talk about. Above the jawline I do get a close shave, closer than when I used the Gillette Fusion. But below the jawline I don't, the Fusion I got closer shave below jawline.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough to heal either. I thought I had. So many factors I guess.

I love the prep and shave. I don't want to stop. I've ordered some Mystic Water sample soaps and some soft soaps. It's just getting a little discouraging.

0 36
 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
User Info
I think it was the five passes that caused you discomfort.

97 615
 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
User Info
Yikes. Astra SP blades don't agree with me, but I never had a reaction like that.

I just do 2 passes one N to S and the other S to N for a nice DFS.

IMO, 5 passes is 3 too many.

18 567
 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
User Info
I think you're trying to hard. That's too many passes, just do a couple of passes and stop. Right now your technique and lather probably aren't up to par. Progress very slowly and it will start to get better. Even use a cartridge razor to help you get a decent finsh until it starts to click for you. Good luck.

0 32
 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Some of that might be reaction to the soap or even the after shave products, but I would contribute 90% of what I see to three to many passes.

Just starting out I would recommend no more than two passes. First pass with the grain (WTG), second pass across the grain (XTG) starting back by the ear section and moving towards the nose/lips.

That should give you a damn fine shave (DFS) without any irritation. As your technique improves you can add a third pass. I see absolutely no reason at all for a five pass shave, no matter what kind of beard you might have.

Practice angle of cut and DO NOT add pressure. Let the weight of the razor be the only pressure there is.

Good luck.

173 23,507
 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
I appreciate the replies. Definitely only doing 2 passes next time. Above the jawline usually isn't a problem. It is always below the jawline. I do think my skin is reacting to the cream, so gonna use something else next time as well.

Any suggestions on how long I should wait before trying again? I usually shave on Wednesday and Sunday. Any suggestions of things I should do before I shave again?

0 36
 01-10-2013, 12:39 PM
User Info
Also one thing I did that helped I continued to use canned cream until I was more experienced with the de razor.

0 32
 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-10-2013, 12:38 PM)Dfwde Wrote: I think you're trying to hard. That's too many passes, just do a couple of passes and stop. Right now your technique and lather probably aren't up to par. Progress very slowly and it will start to get better. Even use a cartridge razor to help you get a decent finsh until it starts to click for you. Good luck.

I think I am trying to hard. I do find myself enjoying it, and at same time trying to get it so smooth.

0 36
 01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Way too many passes. Make sure your angle is right and you're not using any pressure.

Check these videos out if you already haven't:

10 1,120
 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
User Info
You did 5 passes? That should be enough to give you that reaction!
And how hot was the towel ? And for how long you had the towel on your face ?

If I use a very hot towel, or let it stay on my face for more than a minute, my skin gets very sensitive and I'll end with a razor burn, for sure.

0 81
 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
User Info
I have had some razor burn on my neck in the past. I'm not an expert, but IMO would:

- Rest up first

- Be sure to study the grain on your face. For me, what I thought was XTG on my neck (and cheek) was actually ATG

- Continue with good prep (lather, warm towel)

- Do 2 passes / no more than 3 (WTG, XTG) with light pressure letting the razor do the work. Cleanup could be done with your Fusion in the beginning?

- Possibly use a different AS. There are some that I've tried that I've definitely had a more irritating than helpful encounter with.

Good luck!

191 1,552
 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-10-2013, 12:43 PM)orlandosn Wrote: You did 5 passes? That should be enough to give you that reaction!

If I use a very hot towel, or let it stay on my face for more than a minute, my skin gets very sensitive and I'll end with a razor burn, for sure.

Towel wasn't warm, but not what I would call hot. I left on for 2-3 minutes.

0 36
 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 12:39 PM)MikeD Wrote: I appreciate the replies. Definitely only doing 2 passes next time. Above the jawline usually isn't a problem. It is always below the jawline. I do think my skin is reacting to the cream, so gonna use something else next time as well.

Any suggestions on how long I should wait before trying again? I usually shave on Wednesday and Sunday. Any suggestions of things I should do before I shave again?

some of us have to realize that we simply CANNOT do more than 1-2 passes on our neck if we want it to be without any irritation. I do 3 passes on my cheeks and chin and then 2 WTG passes on my neck. Is my neck as smooth as my face? no, but it's decent enough to go without shaving for 2 days.

being that I have had similar problems as you (though nowhere near as bad as your razor burn/bumps), I'd try to limit the number of products you use during your shave to see if you can pinpoint what might be your problem.

maybe for your next shave you could try something like this:
prep:
1- wash your face with musgo real
2- splash face with water and lather up
3- do 2-3 passes on your cheeks and 2 passes on your neck

2- rinse face with cold water
3- splash witch hazel or alum block over your face
4- rinse your face if you're using an alum block (skip this step if you're using witch hazel)
5- apply balm or splash and leave it be

for me, I CANNOT use alum on my face as it feels like my face is on fire. of course that is entirely a YMMV...

you might be better served by using a better overall product..col conk, from what I understand, doesn't get the greatest of reviews. If you have a walgreens or cvs or riteaid near your house, see if they have the real shaving co. shaving cream available..it's cheap and works well.

40 5,830
 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-10-2013, 12:54 PM)MikeD Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 12:43 PM)orlandosn Wrote: You did 5 passes? That should be enough to give you that reaction!

*was warm

Good thing is that the redness and inflammation has went down a lot in the past 30 minutes.

I am only doing 2 passes this next time. I know I'm trying to hard and getting ahead of myself. I have a tendency to do that with many things hahaha.

(01-10-2013, 12:57 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 12:39 PM)MikeD Wrote: I appreciate the replies. Definitely only doing 2 passes next time. Above the jawline usually isn't a problem. It is always below the jawline. I do think my skin is reacting to the cream, so gonna use something else next time as well.

some of us have to realize that we simply CANNOT do more than 1-2 passes on our neck if we want it to be without any irritation. I do 3 passes on my cheeks and chin and then 2 WTG passes on my neck. Is my neck as smooth as my face? no, but it's decent enough to go without shaving for 2 days.

being that I have had similar problems as you (though nowhere near as bad as your razor burn/bumps), I'd try to limit the number of products you use during your shave to see if you can pinpoint what might be your problem.

prep:

4- rinse your face if you're using an alum block (skip this step if you're using witch hazel)

for me, I CANNOT use alum on my face as it feels like my face is on fire. of course that is entirely a YMMV...

you might be better served by using a better overall product..col conk, from what I understand, doesn't get the greatest of reviews. If you have a walgreens or cvs or riteaid near your house, see if they have the real shaving co. shaving cream available..it's cheap and works well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check Walgreens and CVS.

0 36
 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info

You might consider to reduce that time. For me, 1 minute works just fine. More than that, I'm in trouble. Biggrin

0 81
 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
User Info
The only way I can get away with 3 passes on my neck is with a milder blade like my Dorco 300's. Otherwise I limit it to 2. I'm at this 8 months and starting to feel like it's coming together. hang in there.

0 120
 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 12:57 PM)MikeD Wrote:

*was warm

Good thing is that the redness and inflammation has went down a lot in the past 30 minutes.

I am only doing 2 passes this next time. I know I'm trying to hard and getting ahead of myself. I have a tendency to do that with many things hahaha.

(01-10-2013, 12:57 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

prep:

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check Walgreens and CVS.

walmart or target might have it as well, though I'm not sure. I use the sensitive skin brand that they offer.

if you have an art of shaving or l'occitane store nearby, you could also stop in there to pick up some of their creams/soaps, though they're both going to cost more than the real shaving co. cream you'll find.

the l'occitane cade soap gets rave reviews by wet shavers. I have it myself and it's lovely.

40 5,830
 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I had some of the same problems. You are used to shaving, maybe going ATG with a cartridge and getting a really smooth shave. You want to keep that up, but the DE razor is a whole new skill, and you end up pushing it too far, too soon.

If your DE shave after 2 passes is close enough to live with, just leave it. If it's still not close enough for work requirements/SO requirements, there's no shame in doing a touch-up pass with your Fusion while you learn.

The neck is a really tough area because of the way it curves in so many different directions. Give yourself permission to not be an expert at it for a while.

It was at least 2 full months before I had a hope of doing an ATG pass without giving myself wicked razor burn.

10 1,858
 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
User Info
Why not heal up then use your old razor with your soaps so you know if the software really is to blame?

0 120
 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
Based on my extremely limited experience I would guess too much pressure. My face looked like that once or twice and I had to go back to basics (focus on grip angle and pressure)

Grip is pretty high on my Jager 89, I just look for the balance point and grip it there. For me "no pressure" almost feels like I'm lifting the razor off my face. I've gotten the best shaves when I feel that.

You're used to feeling pressure from the razor, you don't want that. You don't want to feel the razor or the blade, just hear a little scratch of the cutting action.

0 46