01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
User Info
So I just received my final 3 Shavemacs.
I'm done for now - I own 12 Shavemacs now Smile

Beautiful brushes, but one little problem.....read on after the pics

All brushes are very fine made.
The little bulbed black and silver is a beauty - very soft, very low lofted - very nice bulb shape.
The little tortoise is also a quite unique brush, because it has regular 3-band Silvertip hairs, but in an extremely dense version, that mkes you think this is D01 3-band hair. Very well made brush.
The blue marble is quite unique to look at, the handle is solid, maybe one of my favorite handles, slimmer than the Tortoise 167, but 3-4 mm taller. Excellent handle. The knot shoudl be bulb shaped, but is it ?

My order was:
Model 167 Blue Marble: D01 2-Band 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft, BULB (???) shape

Model 167 Tortoise: 3-Band Silvertip EXTRA DENSE 23 mm knot, 44 mm loft, fan shape (Perfect fan shaped knot, and very very dense regular 3-Band Silvertip hairs, EXTREMELY dense, I almost thought it had D01 3-band hair in it)

Model 44 Black Silver: 3-Band Silvertip 24 mm knot, 46 mm loft, bulb shape (Perfect bulb shaped knot here - did I say PERFECT)

[Image: 1z671jl.jpg]
[Image: 2zqd9hw.jpg]
[Image: 2qxcf2s.jpg]
[Image: 4l6c6v.jpg]
[Image: 30ndid4.jpg]
[Image: 2eoxulc.jpg]

I ordered the model 167 in blue marble in D01 2-band 26 mm knot, 54 mm loft and IMPORTANTLY in a bulb shaped knot (mentioned in the comments that I wanted extra attention to the knot shapes), as I already own a brown-black Shavemac D01 2-band 25 mm knot, 54 mm loft with a FAN SHAPED KNOT.

I can not see the blue marble is having a bulb shape, can anyone help me see this bulb Biggrin - I only see a fan, that is almost identical to the fan shape the brown-black brush to the left in the photo has Tongue

Bulb and fan shape gives you 2 completely different feeling brushes, also if everything else in the brush is identical........
I think I basically received a true copy of the brown-black D01 2-Band brush I already bought from Shavemac 4-5 weeks ago - only 1 mm knot size and a different handle separates from being copies Confused

I have emailed Bernd regarding it, and I'm sure everything will be alright, just a bit downer having to ship it back to Germany, wait 2-3 weeks and then wait for the FedEx guy once again.......Oh well, this can happen once in a while, when you are a brush collector Blush

Besides a couple of errors with the wrong bulb shape and wrong loft, my Shavemacs are all very fine exquisite brushes Biggrin

22 5,062
 01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
User Info
That nickel-footed black one is really nice looking

2 697
 01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow Claus, I like the blue!

91 17,851
 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Keep it. Just order one more.

173 23,546
 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 07:52 PM)Johnny Wrote: Keep it. Just order one more.

Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

Easy for you to say, Johnny Tongue

Tell me the difference between these 2 besides 1 mm knot size and a different handle Smile

[Image: 10icoet.jpg]

22 5,062
 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Claus , something is telling me that you are going to truly enjoy the silvertip on the 167 tortoise handle...

When you have the chance to test them (around 2014 , I guess Wink ) , let us know what you think of them.

86 7,123
 01-10-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:09 PM)Teiste Wrote: Claus , something is telling me that you are going to truly enjoy the silvertip on the 167 tortoise handle...

When you have the chance to test them (around 2014 , I guess Wink ) , let us know what you think of them.

I think you are right, T Smile
I asked Bernd to give it a very dense regular 3-band Silvertip knot, and he delivered with a solid, firm and very dense 3-band knot.
Once this blooms it will be a very nice brush for soft creams !

22 5,062
 01-11-2013, 12:28 AM
User Info
Just received an email from Bernd.

He will ship me a new brush and pay for the shipping back to Germany of the old one.

I never doubted Bernd would admit the mistake and correct it ASAP Cool

22 5,062
 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM
User Info
Claus, another beautiful Trio from "Bernd" Enjoy.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 01-11-2013, 02:33 AM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 02:25 AM)whatmorebrushs Wrote: Claus, another beautiful Trio from "Bernd" Enjoy.

Charles U.K

Hey Charles,

Thanks - yeahhh they are very nice, and nice Bernd corrected the little mistake Smile

I assure you nothing is wrong with your 2 Shavemacs - just owned 2 of the same knot in Genuine horn, so decided to sell one of them.......

I'm sick with the flu at the moment, so not sure if I can ship your 2 Shavemac beauties before Monday Blush
I hope maybe tomorrow Saturday, if I can persuade my GF to do it for me Blush

Have a nice weekend, Charles Smile

22 5,062
 01-11-2013, 02:37 AM
User Info
Beautiful brushes there.

Usually I find a D01 knot is always more fan shaped if you request a bulb. I think the knots you are comparing are different in overall length (as you can see by the number of bands shown) and so with having a longer hair, the bloom will be tighter and so it will be more like a fan, even if it was meant to be a bulb.

If it was at a longer loft, maybe it would show more of a bulb?

Hope that makes sense!

I'm sure Bernd will sort you out. They are beautiful brushes there.

7 1,179
 01-11-2013, 02:45 AM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 02:37 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Beautiful brushes there.

Usually I find a D01 knot is always more fan shaped if you request a bulb. I think the knots you are comparing are different in overall length (as you can see by the number of bands shown) and so with having a longer hair, the bloom will be tighter and so it will be more like a fan, even if it was meant to be a bulb.

If it was at a longer loft, maybe it would show more of a bulb?

Hope that makes sense!

I'm sure Bernd will sort you out. They are beautiful brushes there.

Hey,

try looking at the pic further down on the page - the two brushes have identical lofts, and only 1 mm difference in knot size.
Sometimes they just get a bundle of badger hair that are longer or with more white at the bottom. Still has nothing to do with shaping it in a bulb shape or a fan shape IMHO

[Image: 10icoet.jpg]
I agree that the stiffer thicker badger hair types probably can be more difficult to shape in a bulb, which is why you often see Simpson Manchurian in fan shaped knots and the softer 3-band Silvertips in bulb shaped knots - but still it's possible to make even the stiffest little D01 2-band in ultra short loft in a bulb - just take a look at my Shavemac D01 2-Band Bulb 46 mm loft and 24 mm knot sized brush here:

[Image: xf0p6t.jpg]

As said, Bernd has said they made a mistake - he will make me a new one and ship it to me next week Smile

22 5,062
 01-11-2013, 05:37 AM
User Info
Ah yes, when you compare it to your other brush Claus, you can see the difference a fair bit.

I'm glad all is being sorted now Smile

7 1,179