01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
There was always a bit of a legend surrounding blades such as the vintage Personna 74 with users claiming to be able to get dozens of great shaves from a single blade. Yesterday, I received a call from a customer wanting to place an order for 100 Polsilver Super Iridium blades. He claimed that he was still on his first blade from a sample pack that I sent and said he was on shave #38 with the blade. When I told him I could not wait to tell the forum members that he was able to get 38 shaves from an Iridium, he quickly corrected me and said he's not done yet. Biggrin

45 16,359
 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Haha! How appropriate for my WTT thread!
Either he has baby hair or...

88 4,233
 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:04 PM)beartrap Wrote: Haha! How appropriate for my WTT thread!
Either he has baby hair or...

That is what I thought too but he said he has a coarse beard.

45 16,359
 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM
User Info
I'm using one right now in my Feather SS razor and will be on day 6 tomorrow.

that's double what i get from most blades and it is showing now signs of slowing down. (all 3 pass shaves)

i probably won't stretch it to 38 shaves, but who knows.

8 2,718
 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well lets see, 38+ shaves per blade is bad news for you Phil. You will never sell any blades at that rate.Smile

173 23,553
 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:12 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well lets see, 38+ shaves per blade is bad news for you Phil. You will never sell any blades at that rate.Smile

Or sell them all because they are so good Biggrin

I would never even try going that far, one week per blade is fantastic and it's out after that. About $20 a year is not bad Wink

88 4,233
 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:12 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well lets see, 38+ shaves per blade is bad news for you Phil. You will never sell any blades at that rate.Smile

Very true. My motto is toss a blade after just one shave just in case. Tongue Seriously though...I can only get 6 shaves from a Polsilver Super Iridium but that is better than any modern blade. I can also get 6 shaves from the Schick Plus Platinum (vintage) blades.

45 16,359
 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:17 PM)beartrap Wrote: Or sell them all because they are so good Biggrin

That is what has happened. I am so low on them that I am not currently selling in bulk (100's or 200's) but only by 50's or 5's. I placed a re-order months ago and am waiting patiently for a new shipment.

45 16,359
 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
Wow, 38 shaves is crazy with any blade!!

I will say that the Super Iridiums are something special. I feel that they are as comfortable as an Astra, but as efficient as a Feather but much smoother. I ordered a 5 pack from Phil in my last order to try them out, now I need to place a new bulk order soon. Looks like I have to wait until the next shipment to order bulk, but 50 should keep me happy for a while. Wink

63 2,128
 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM
User Info
Even with a SE I can't get that # of shaves, but I have my standards and he has his.

Even with the legendary blades of yesteryear I find them to be no better than the very best blades of today.

So far all Iridiums, no matter the factory, has not met my arbitrary standard of 7 shaves to be accepted into my "chosen" blades. I'm currently testing earlier Polish PI blades (sent to me by a friend) to see if there is a difference. The testing is not concluded.

I don't think I've gotten beyond 6 shaves with one yet, but those shaves were quite good regarding the qualities of sharpness and smoothness.

IMO it's a case of YMMV. I certainly can't get that # of shaves from ANY blade. My maximum so far is 20 from a TP SE SS ptfe (121-3) blade and I concluded the shaves from that blade simply because I was beginning to get bored and 20 shaves from any disposable blade is simply enough in my mind.

OK, I have a question... how did he determine that he has a coarse beard!? I have yet to run into anyone asking me if I have a coarse or fine beard so as to determine theirs. Of course it would need to be by feel and that's where I would draw the line. That's by invitation only.

If the gent is young, the beard is probably fine and that # of shaves could begin to make sense. Fewer passes would as well. What does he have to determine coarse against? Nada (I'm guessing). One doesn't know what one doesn't know. I didn't have the beard today that I had at 20 years old. Things change. Coarse at 20 years of age can be much different than coarse at 60 years of age. Genetics has a hand in this as well, even though the PC crowd would cry fowl at the very thought that different genetic lines are different. What a surprise, yet science tells us that very thing is true. Just using ones eyes confirms it. We're all different, what a surprise.

32 6,311
 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
I'm just a tad skeptical of this guy's claim. (Not of Phil, I know he's just telling us what he heard.) Are his shaves comfortable? Does he have a full beard and just does the cheeks and part of the neck? Does he just do one-pass shaves? All that will increase blade longevity, but still.

I've never had a blade last for 38 shaves. I could try, but it would certainly not be a comfortable shave, there would be lots of tugging, and blades are cheap enough that it doesn't make much sense.

I haven't used the Polsilver Super Iridiums. I've used Polsilvers - the ones that got a lot of hype a year or so ago - I didn't find them very good and sold them off. The original SI blades are better but I don't think I ever got a week out of them.

Honestly, for out-of-production blades, the Gillette Bleue Extras last a lot longer on me - I think I'm on day 9 for my current blade, but I am trying to stretch it and it's not nearly as comfortable as it was on day 1. I have to be very careful not to get nicks, for instance, and there's no way I would use this blade in an aggressive razor.

For in-production blades, the Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks are the best game in town IMHO, I always get seven days out of them. Never tried to push them farther - why bother?

12 1,243
 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The SI, Polsilver and Polsilver SI are my favourite blades and certainly provide me with the most longevity. Biggrin
I comfortably shave for a week on one, but no more. I can't imagine anyone being able to shave with the same blade for a month and longer? Huh
Sounds to me like he doesn't really need a 100 anyway as he'd only go through one or two packs a year! Tongue

91 17,875
 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
User Info
Brian, I can tell by looking at your avatar picture that you are a young man with nothing but peach fuzz. You should be able to get 50 shaves with one of these bad boys!Biggrin

24 1,151
 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have never gone past four days, my personal preference.

1 3,507
 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Well if he only does 1 pass per shave that would equal 13 3pass shaves which is just a little more believable.

3 497
 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
User Info
All my rotation blades are dumped after the second shave, the SIs go three or four. For me, blades are the cheapest part of the equation, I'm not going to stretch a blade beyond it's like new shaving abilities.

129 6,685
 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 10:24 AM)brothers Wrote: Brian, I can tell by looking at your avatar picture that you are a young man with nothing but peach fuzz. You should be able to get 50 shaves with one of these bad boys!Biggrin

Biggrin
Gary, that's the idealized me. The reality is a bit different, unfortunately. I've been used hard, and put away wet more than once. Yet I'm not in bad shape for a gent in his 90s. The unfortunate part is that I'm only 60.

32 6,311
 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
User Info
Wow, 38 shaves with the SIs!! i would love to see a video to see how he shaves and how coarse his beard is! Hee hee.
i can usually get 5-6 with the original SIs.

75 20,883
 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-10-2013, 08:00 PM)bullgoose Wrote: There was always a bit of a legend surrounding blades such as the vintage Personna 74 with users claiming to be able to get dozens of great shaves from a single blade. Yesterday, I received a call from a customer wanting to place an order for 100 Polsilver Super Iridium blades. He claimed that he was still on his first blade from a sample pack that I sent and said he was on shave #38 with the blade. When I told him I could not wait to tell the forum members that he was able to get 38 shaves from an Iridium, he quickly corrected me and said he's not done yet. Biggrin

So how come he needs any more then? Undecided

0 1,625
 01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 12:44 PM)wingdo Wrote: All my rotation blades are dumped after the second shave, the SIs go three or four. For me, blades are the cheapest part of the equation, I'm not going to stretch a blade beyond it's like new shaving abilities.
That makes sense to me, i wont go past 4 on any blade.

(01-11-2013, 06:31 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-10-2013, 08:00 PM)bullgoose Wrote: There was always a bit of a legend surrounding blades such as the vintage Personna 74 with users claiming to be able to get dozens of great shaves from a single blade. Yesterday, I received a call from a customer wanting to place an order for 100 Polsilver Super Iridium blades. He claimed that he was still on his first blade from a sample pack that I sent and said he was on shave #38 with the blade. When I told him I could not wait to tell the forum members that he was able to get 38 shaves from an Iridium, he quickly corrected me and said he's not done yet. Biggrin

So how come he needs any more then? Undecided
Good question

0 606