01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
User Info
Hi all,

Loooong time lurker, first time poster!

I just wanted to mention an excellent customer service experience with Larry at Whipped Dog.

I have been wet shaving for a short time, with the ambitious intention to keep the hobby both functional and economical. Nevertheless, I have experienced various acquisition disorders, and since I live within walking distance of both Pasteur Pharmacies in NYC, many fine companies have profited from my curiosity and enjoyment.

I currently only own a few budget brushes - an omega 10065, Tweezerman, Crabtree & Evelyn BBB, Turkish N.6 and VDH "luxury" badger. My shaves sometime lead to irritation which I believe is at least partially caused by brush burn. Since I prefer the speed and convenience of face lathering, I decided that I finally deserved a soft silvertip, but didn't want to spend too much until I learned about my preferences in a higher-end badger brush. The numerous discussions on this and other forums concerning loft, density, handle shape, etc., left me somewhat bewildered. At times one would think it was impossible to get a good shave without a unicorn mane brush in a handle of polished dragon bone, and even then, a discussion would inevitably erupt over the advantages of 2-band vs 3-band unicorn hair.

Since I believed that experimenting with brands such as Simpsons or shavemac would be imprudent and unnecessarily expensive, I looked to smaller, recommended vendors. I ultimately decided that a Whipped Dog silvetip with an faux ivory resin handle and a 22mm knot and 50mm loft for only $31 delivered ($26 plus and additional $5 for drilling down the hole and additional 5mm) would be an excellent and balanced choice and probable gateway drug to far more exotic and expensive brushes. I exchanged emails with Larry a few times with questions and comments. His responses were friendly, prompt, informative and helpful.

I received the brush earlier in the week a few days after I placed my order. The resin handle was attractive, substantial and comfortable and the hair quite soft. I test lathered it a few times then shaved the next day. There was very little animal funk and I only lost a few hairs. The brush easily had the softest tips of anything in my admittedly limited experience. However, it felt very firm for a 50mm loft, based upon the lofts of my other brushes and peoples' explanations in the forums. I have no doubt that many here would particularly welcome the strong backbone of the knot. Although I found it comfortable and was generally satisfied, I noted to myself that in the future a higher loft would likely be less firm and a better choice for face lathering my sensitive skin.

For my own reference, I then decided to measure the loft. I was surprised to find that it was only ~45-47mm. I imagine that my handle was accidentally drilled the maximum additional 10mm rather than the 5mm I requested. I emailed Larry with a photo, not so much to complain, but rather to inform him of my experience and actually inquire about his recommendations concerning future brushes with higher lofts or larger knots. I had not intended on requesting a return or refund of my brush. Within minutes I received an email from Larry apologizing for the lower loft, explaining how the growing pains in his expanding business likely resulted in their error (although he acknowledged it was not an excuse), and that I would be receiving a new brush at no charge with the correct loft. He emphasized that I could keep my original brush and thanked me for allowing him to make things right.

We often complain about poor service or merchandise. Even the best and most expensive vendors often make mistakes or have spotty quality control. For example, despite their illustrious reputations, I recall numerous threads where shavemac brushes did not arrive as ordered and Simpsons specs are so "suggestive" that some vendors choose to photograph all their Simpsons stock so you can select among purportedly identical but really different brushes. Therefore, I believe it is important to acknowledge excellent customer care and pride in one's work and business. Mistakes happen; it how you treat your customers that truly matters. I would not hesitate to order from Whipped Dog again, both for their excellent products and commitment to customer satisfaction.

----Steve

My original brush - Ivory resin handle - 22mm knot / ~46mm loft:
[Image: 1075lyv.jpg]

0 386
 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Welcome Steve! We have WD fans here as well Biggrin

88 4,233
 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Steve!

75 20,883
 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Welcome Steve to The Shave Nook. You might want to start a thread over at the Introduction section of this forum. Its great to hear about experiences of our members and how problems are resolved with vendors. I recently bought two Whipping Dog Firehouse handle brushes from Larry and they were promptly shipped to me. Both brushes are excellent and I am very happy with them.

100 12,438
 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Steve :

welcome to the forum.

Regarding the brush , yes , is a nice one for 31 dollars : a good silvertip knot , and a "decent" (well , not that great ) handle.Larry is doing a good job.Enjoy your brush and thanks for your inputs about it.

86 7,123
 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Welcome, Steve. Larry at Whipped Dog is an amazing vendor. He is quick, courteous, generous and exhibits high degree of business ethics. I have dealt with him many times and every time was a pleasure. I am not surprised at all that he made things MORE than right for you. He is that kind of a guy.

Aside from that, I would like to say that even badger brushes take a little breaking in. Do not be so hasty to judge your 47mm lofted brush until a dozen shaves in or so. It will soften up some. Not like a boar brush, which takes a long time to break in, but a badger will soften up in backbone with time. Also do give boar brushes a try. They are often softer than silvertips and easier on sensitive skin. Some Semogue boars are extremely sof and even a bit floppy (like a venerable 1305, which is an excellent soft borderline floppy brush). I love Omega boars, but they tend to be a bit stiffer in the backbone, but the tips are super soft. They do take some time to break in. Close to a month of regular us sometimes.

Good luck, enjoy and keep us posted.

25 1,705
 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM
User Info
(01-12-2013, 07:03 AM)vferdman Wrote: Welcome, Steve. Larry at Whipped Dog is an amazing vendor. He is quick, courteous, generous and exhibits high degree of business ethics. I have dealt with him many times and every time was a pleasure. I am not surprised at all that he made things MORE than right for you. He is that kind of a guy.

Aside from that, I would like to say that even badger brushes take a little breaking in. Do not be so hasty to judge your 47mm lofted brush until a dozen shaves in or so. It will soften up some. Not like a boar brush, which takes a long time to break in, but a badger will soften up in backbone with time. Also do give boar brushes a try. They are often softer than silvertips and easier on sensitive skin. Some Semogue boars are extremely sof and even a bit floppy (like a venerable 1305, which is an excellent soft borderline floppy brush). I love Omega boars, but they tend to be a bit stiffer in the backbone, but the tips are super soft. They do take some time to break in. Close to a month of regular us sometimes.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually have a Omega 10065 boar that I've used for some time. It definitely softened over its first months of use, but is still very stiff. It's effective when I haven't shaved for few days and have lots of scruff. However, for my daily shaves, I think I'm looking for that "shaving with a puffy cloud" feeling that so many have discussed, but has totally eluded me.

0 386
 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
(01-12-2013, 08:28 AM)branford Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 07:03 AM)vferdman Wrote: Welcome, Steve. Larry at Whipped Dog is an amazing vendor. He is quick, courteous, generous and exhibits high degree of business ethics. I have dealt with him many times and every time was a pleasure. I am not surprised at all that he made things MORE than right for you. He is that kind of a guy.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually have a Omega 10065 boar that I've used for some time. It definitely softened over its first months of use, but is still very stiff. It's effective when I haven't shaved for few days and have lots of scruff. However, for my daily shaves, I think I'm looking for that "shaving with a puffy cloud" feeling that so many have discussed, but has totally eluded me.

Longer the loft, the puffier the cloud.

Hair quality is probably necessary as broken ends will scratch your face.

9 2,988
 01-12-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
Great news, Branford! It's always great to know that there are such good vendors to do business with. I've been wanting for some time to buy the Sight Unseen Deal from Larry, and after your feedback I'm even more certain. He's really a great guy, and he surely deserves the recognition given by the community.

2 23
 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
User Info
Welcome and great looking brush! While I've never purchased anything from Larry, I can tell you that I hear nothing but good things about him and his products.

5 938
 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
User Info
Larry is a great business man to deal with, when i talk to him he has many good ideas on the horizon.

0 606
 01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
User Info
Update: I received my new 22/50mm brush this morning. I test lathered it a few times and shaved with it tonight. A few millimeters in loft definitely makes a noticeable difference. A little less firm and dense, and a soft, fluffy pleasure to face lather.

-----Steve

Whipped Dog Silvertip - Ivory resin handle - 22/46mm (Left) and 22/50 (Right):
[Image: 256scrd.jpg]

0 386
 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-14-2013, 08:42 PM)branford Wrote: Update: I received my new 22/50mm brush this morning. I test lathered it a few times and shaved with it tonight. A few millimeters in loft definitely makes a noticeable difference. A little less firm and dense, and a soft, fluffy pleasure to face lather.

-----Steve

Whipped Dog Silvertip - Ivory resin handle - 22/46mm (Left) and 22/50 (Right):
[Image: 256scrd.jpg]

And which one do you prefer better now?

86 7,123
 01-14-2013, 10:43 PM
User Info
I find myself hard pressed to tell the height difference. If not for the bloom I'd say they looked identical.

Is it the angle of the photograph?

9 2,988
 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
User Info
(01-14-2013, 10:43 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I find myself hard pressed to tell the height difference. If not for the bloom I'd say they looked identical.

Is it the angle of the photograph?

The photo is not the best (dark and probably a slight angle), the 50mm is a little damp, and I shrunk it to post on the forum. Also, three to four millimeters in loft is hard to see unless your really close in good light. The noticeable difference in bloom is the giveaway.

As to which one I prefer, at this point I definitely have to say the 50mm. I seem to prefer a much softer brush for a daily shave. However, if I have significant scruff, a lower loft, scrubbier brush might feel better. When I've been scruffy in the past, I've reached for my Omega boar. Next time I'm scruffy, I'll try the shorter loft silvertip again.

0 386
 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-14-2013, 08:42 PM)branford Wrote: Update: I received my new 22/50mm brush this morning...

Hi Steve

Larry's definitely done right by you, you've ended up with a couple of nice looking, but different performing brushes... it still amazes me how a few millimetres one-way or the other in loft height can (completely) change the dynamics of a brush...

How's the knot density of those Whipped Dog silvertips?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 10:52 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-14-2013, 08:42 PM)branford Wrote: Update: I received my new 22/50mm brush this morning...

Hi Steve

Larry's definitely done right by you, you've ended up with a couple of nice looking, but different performing brushes... it still amazes me how a few millimetres one-way or the other in loft height can (completely) change the dynamics of a brush...

How's the knot density of those Whipped Dog silvertips?

Take care, Mike

I'm certainly no expert on shave brushes, but I would say the brushes are "solid" or of medium to high density. They both feel very well-packed yet soft. Of course, the lower loft brush feels more dense.

Below is an overhead shot of both brushes (Left-46/Right-50):
[Image: 2yorf2h.jpg]

0 386
 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-15-2013, 01:32 PM)branford Wrote: I'm certainly no expert on shave brushes, but I would say the brushes are "solid" or of medium to high density. They both feel very well-packed yet soft. Of course, the lower loft brush feels more dense....

Hi Steve

Thank you Smile

While the knots don't look to be overly stuffed (dense), they definitely don't appear to be lacking either...

Does either brush exhibit and scritch or scratch? Or is the feeling more of a gentle scrub (massage)?

Also, how is the flow through, knots release lather without a "fight"?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 03:31 PM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 01:32 PM)branford Wrote: I'm certainly no expert on shave brushes, but I would say the brushes are "solid" or of medium to high density. They both feel very well-packed yet soft. Of course, the lower loft brush feels more dense....

Hi Steve

Thank you Smile

While the knots don't look to be overly stuffed (dense), they definitely don't appear to be lacking either...

Does either brush exhibit and scritch or scratch? Or is the feeling more of a gentle scrub (massage)?

Also, how is the flow through, knots release lather without a "fight"?

Take care, Mike

Mike, both knots are very soft - no scritch at all, and release lather without issue. The 46mm loft brush has a greater backbone, and thus more of a gentle scrub. The 50mm brush feels noticeably softer against my face.

Most forum members who face lather appear to like a firm, yet soft brush. I believe they would be very pleased with the 46mm. Even thought I too face lather, I seem to prefer the shaving with a soft cloud feeling of a higher lofted brush. I definitely enjoy my 50mm, but when purchasing my next shave brush, I'll probably go even higher to a 52-55mm loft. In any event, a Whipped Dog brush (pure or silvertip) should meet your needs. You can choose the stock loft of 55mm for a 20, 22 24 or 30mm knot, or for only $5.00 more, Larry will drill down the hole up to an additional 10mm.

0 386
 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-15-2013, 04:23 PM)branford Wrote: Mike, both knots are very soft - no scritch at all, and release lather without issue. The 46mm loft brush has a greater backbone, and thus more of a gentle scrub. The 50mm brush feels noticeably softer against my face.

Most forum members who face lather appear to like a firm, yet soft brush. I believe they would be very pleased with the 46mm. Even thought I too face lather, I seem to prefer the shaving with a soft cloud feeling of a higher lofted brush. I definitely enjoy my 50mm, but when purchasing my next shave brush, I'll probably go even higher to a 52-55mm loft. In any event, a Whipped Dog brush (pure or silvertip) should meet your needs. You can choose the stock loft of 55mm for a 20, 22 24 or 30mm knot, or for only $5.00 more, Larry will drill down the hole up to an additional 10mm.

Hi Steve

Thank you for your answers, the information is very useful.

Like you I tend to prefer silvertip knots with a slightly higher loft -- more flex in the hairs, which in turn generally translates to better flow through...

Maybe next time I need a silvertip knot for a re-knot project I will go with a Whipped Dog Silvertip instead of one from The Golden Nib.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872