01-11-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
The Cobra Classic Razor performs brilliantly,certainly as good or better than any razor I've experienced.Although I was content with the razors I already owned,after my wonderful run with the Cobra Tour I was looking forward to owning one.Unfortunately I was unable to purchase a new Cobra that wasn't either cosmetically flawed,mechanically flawed,or both.

Classic Shaving went 0 for 2 on quality with the razor they originally shipped me and it's replacement.

Main issues:

Original New Cobra: A small quarter moon shaped divot on edge of blade cover visible under plating,other light scratches on back of handle.Other than that,perfect.Advised Classic Shaving Customer Service of problem,and a replacement was promptly sent to me.

Replacement Cobra: Excessive slop in attachment of latch to handle.While some play is probably necessary by design,the excessive up & down "see/saw" wobble I observed was not at all present in the first razor they shipped.It's possible that it might have worked fine for decades,it certainly locked the blade down evenly every time....Truthfully I had a hard time believing it was designed to be that loose.

The inconsistencies between these two current production razors I was offered was disturbing.

Disturbing enough for me not to pay $169....
Not when the build quality for a current production Cobra's not in the same Area Code as the razor's performance.

7 414
 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Not a good experience at all however Classic Shaving must have excellent customer service. I once owned a Cobra but sold it because buying replacement blades was not the easiest thing to do but the razor was flawless.

100 12,442
 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
User Info
I am sorry to hear of your bad experience with the cobra. I am a stickler for perfection myself and little things like that drive me crazy, but sometimes you have to realize that things aren't always perfect. How bad was the divot on the first one? I have found tiny imperfections on almost all of my high end shaving tools, it's hard to produce a completely flawless razor, or brush, etc. I am by no means downplaying your issue and concern, you have every right to be dissatisfied with your purchase. I am just trying to share my experience and shine some light on the fact that there will always be small variations and teeny tiny impurities or imperfect spots on finishes and mechanical pieces. Again, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the cobra though.

63 2,128
 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 08:38 PM)cessnabird Wrote: I am sorry to hear of your bad experience with the cobra. I am a stickler for perfection myself and little things like that drive me crazy, but sometimes you have to realize that things aren't always perfect. How bad was the divot on the first one? I have found tiny imperfections on almost all of my high end shaving tools, it's hard to produce a completely flawless razor, or brush, etc. I am by no means downplaying your issue and concern, you have every right to be dissatisfied with your purchase. I am just trying to share my experience and shine some light on the fact that there will always be small variations and teeny tiny impurities or imperfect spots on finishes and mechanical pieces. Again, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the cobra though.

Thanks...I get that but the original order was placed by phone,I asked that whatever they sent be checked first for for mechanical or cosmetic flaws,also stated the same in Paypal note with payment.

The divot ? I wouldn't have purchased it in a brick and mortar store in person with that flaw.When it's an online order for a new item and I ask them to please inspect it prior to shipping,I'd hope to avoid problems.

It would have been easy enough to get that right the first time,the hell of it is the 2nd one was pretty much perfect except for the excessively sloppy latch.Seemed like way too much play in it to be right.

I have a soft spot for products manufactured in America,I was hoping this would work out.

There's plenty of people who are ok with sub-optimal quality,there's no doubt.....the shave's incredible.

7 414
 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM
User Info
Muelle and Edwin Jagger seems to be able to make razors with out flawed finishes currently . G-bar and my Gem Bullet tip both are flawless and pretty old . My Slim also vintage is also flawless and has more moving parts than a Cobra and the kicker is that all of them put together cost less than that one Cobra .For a high end cost on that Cobra Id settle for nothing less than perfection . Especialy since it takes a specific blade to use one . This is not first time Ive heard these razors mentioned as good shaver but the lacking in quality control for cosmetic issues .

0 61
 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I know I can go find some flaws on my Cobra if I look for them. But I bought mine used, and it is my best shaver.

43 1,690
 01-15-2013, 02:59 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
idem dito, not my most perfect razor when you look in detail but one of the best shaving tools I ever used.

27 1,295
 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
User Info
I own a Tradere SB. Same price and impeccable finish. It is my second best shaver.
My best shaver is the Cobra. Those feather artist blades are at a different class, IMO. On the straight razors forums, some folks refer to a well honed razor as "squeegee". My experiments with SR were not very successful.
The Cobra on the other hand does look a bit like a squeegee and you know what, give it 3 days worth of beard growth and it would wipe it off just like a squeegee right on the first pass.
Did I find some plating imperfections ? yes I did. Do mind them a bit? yes I suppose.
Do I still get my best shaves out of this razor? yup... and that is what counts for me.

@Rabidmonky. The blades are the whole point of the razor. They are readily available for purchase almost like Astras. They are more expensive but last a lot longer, so between $0.02 per shave or $0.06 per shave, I couldn't care less if my face feels better afterwards. Vintage Gillette razors were made when companies used state of the art heavy machinery. Except for medical/military manufacturing, you just don't see that kind of production anymore. Build quality aside, the Gillettes are nice razors but design-wise, with few exceptions (NEW, Tech) I find them very mild and quite behind the design of the new modern razors like Tradere or even Cadet. They do offer sentimentality in spades and that actually counts in the shave experience, from time to time. You can still find a NOS Gillette slim. They cost over $200 though...

6 808
 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
User Info
I understand OP's sentiment. Plunking down $200 for something at full retail price means that I want to find 0 flaws.

Especially when the alternatives can be found for a quarter of the price.

9 2,988
 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
If there is an alternative to the Cobra at a quarter of the price, I would like to buy it. What razor is this, and who sells it? I'm talking about an injector style razor that uses the Feather Artist Club blades. I have used Schick injectors, and for me they aren't in the same class as the Cobra.

As a follow up to my earlier post in this thread, I looked over my Cobra, and it is riddled with flaws in its finish. These mainly involve the chrome plating along the ribbed portion of the handle and casting flaws on the underside of the head.
Had I purchased it new, I would have sent it back. But I still love the razor and the shave it gives. Thank goodness I got a nice deal on it..

43 1,690
 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 11:08 AM)Andrew Wrote: If there is an alternative to the Cobra at a quarter of the price, I would like to buy it. What razor is this, and who sells it? I'm talking about an injector style razor that uses the Feather Artist Club blades. I have used Schick injectors, and for me they aren't in the same class as the Cobra.

Apparently you can cram a Feather or Kai blade into an old Schick injector, but I think it also requires a pair of tin snips. (I believe there was a thread regarding this on another forum.) I am lazy, so I bought a Cobra. Biggrin

Not to derail this thread, but one of my repeating, wandering thoughts has been to create a razor that uses the Feather blades, but has more of a DE styled stainless steel head (e.g., Tradere, Pils, iKon). The head would obviously need to be wide enough to accommodate the blade, and using it would require a wider angle (such as when using a Pils) as the blade would be flat. Any thoughts from you Cobra users? In theory you could build it to be a "DE razor", but it would require using two blades. I would prefer that a current vendor take this idea and run with it, but I may eventually have to look into having one made locally as a test. At least as I envision it in my head, you could then use whatever handle you wanted with it, thus resolving the complaint some seem to have with the Cobra's handle.

51 387
 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
As my title indicates ... I have seen the light and am now a Cobra devotee. Nothing, in my experience, matches the performance of the Cobra coupled with a Feather Professional blade. I have to agree with the OP concerns regarding finishing issues ... I too am rather OCD, and had problems with my first Cobra. Classic Shaving was kind enough to issue a replacement. Although I agree with the comments that all products have some imperfections, I must admit that the Cobra's finishing is a tad rough for a razor in the $169 territory ... if it were $70, I would be more forgiving.

As for the idea of a stainless steel razor employing Feather Professional blades ... droool ... sign me up! I would be willing to pay >$250 for such a product ... perhaps the Holy Grail of razors!

102 17,668
 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
I don't like the idea of a DE using Feather AC blades. 2 edges does not mean it'd be better. I'd much rather see a modern version of a more traditional SE like the Gems or EverReadys.

31 7,914
 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 12:29 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't like the idea of a DE using Feather AC blades. 2 edges does not mean it'd be better. I'd much rather see a modern version of a more traditional SE like the Gems or EverReadys.

I was not suggesting two edges would be better, simply that you would have the real estate to include two blades. I know ideas are a dime a dozen, but if I could figure a way to actually make them – read finance them - I would like to have a "line" of modern SE razors. One would use the Feather blades and another would use Gem or Personna SE blades. I think my general question is whether these razors would need to look like their predecessors (e.g., injectors, Gems)? The Cobra was obviously modeled after an injector, but I think there are other possibilities.

51 387
 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
I'm sure it's possible but with how wide the Feather AC blade is I'm not sure I can see why I'd want a DE version. I like that you're thinking outside the box & I don't mean to shoot it down by any means. I just thought the idea behind the DE was to cover more real estate before needing to rinse the razor. A DE razor using 2 Feather AC blades could do a face & head shave never needing a rinse! Shok

31 7,914
 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
User Info
When I'm using my Cobra I don't feel guilty because it might have a flaw or maybe I could just use the blade in some other old razor. I'm happy to have it, just like it is, and wouldn't change a thing about it. It has never occurred to me that I might spend time regretting the fact that in my lifetime I was able to own and use a razor that gives me the best shaves of my life, and it's beautiful to boot!

24 1,151
 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(01-15-2013, 12:09 PM)poonjaji Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 11:08 AM)Andrew Wrote: If there is an alternative to the Cobra at a quarter of the price, I would like to buy it. What razor is this, and who sells it? I'm talking about an injector style razor that uses the Feather Artist Club blades. I have used Schick injectors, and for me they aren't in the same class as the Cobra.

Apparently you can cram a Feather or Kai blade into an old Schick injector, but I think it also requires a pair of tin snips. (I believe there was a thread regarding this on another forum.) I am lazy, so I bought a Cobra. Biggrin

Not to derail this thread, but one of my repeating, wandering thoughts has been to create a razor that uses the Feather blades, but has more of a DE styled stainless steel head (e.g., Tradere, Pils, iKon). The head would obviously need to be wide enough to accommodate the blade, and using it would require a wider angle (such as when using a Pils) as the blade would be flat. Any thoughts from you Cobra users? In theory you could build it to be a "DE razor", but it would require using two blades. I would prefer that a current vendor take this idea and run with it, but I may eventually have to look into having one made locally as a test. At least as I envision it in my head, you could then use whatever handle you wanted with it, thus resolving the complaint some seem to have with the Cobra's handle.

That would be a good idea from out point of view but it probably will not happen as razor makers concentrate on double edge razors where the profits are. The only reason Classic Shaving ever developed this razor is because they are the US distributor of Feather blades.

100 12,442
 01-15-2013, 03:41 PM
User Info
Regarding blades, I'm one of those who favor the Kai blade.

24 1,151
 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
a stainless steel version of the Cobra? Who said that? When is it coming out? Smile

75 20,883
 01-15-2013, 10:08 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 12:43 PM)poonjaji Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 12:29 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't like the idea of a DE using Feather AC blades. 2 edges does not mean it'd be better. I'd much rather see a modern version of a more traditional SE like the Gems or EverReadys.

I was not suggesting two edges would be better, simply that you would have the real estate to include two blades. I know ideas are a dime a dozen, but if I could figure a way to actually make them – read finance them - I would like to have a "line" of modern SE razors. One would use the Feather blades and another would use Gem or Personna SE blades. I think my general question is whether these razors would need to look like their predecessors (e.g., injectors, Gems)? The Cobra was obviously modeled after an injector, but I think there are other possibilities.

I'd like to see a modern SE razor that uses GEM blades.I imagine something like a more agressive version of the GEM G-Bar (Heavyweight Flat Top) but with a handle the same length and almost the same shape as the Cobra.

Modeling the Cobra after an injector was a good thing,I'd take it a step further and make a more simple,elegant Shick-like design crafted in stainless steel that can secure a Feather Pro blade without needing the swing around latch with spring loaded nub the Cobra uses.
(01-15-2013, 03:08 PM)brothers Wrote: When I'm using my Cobra I don't feel guilty because it might have a flaw or maybe I could just use the blade in some other old razor. I'm happy to have it, just like it is, and wouldn't change a thing about it. It has never occurred to me that I might spend time regretting the fact that in my lifetime I was able to own and use a razor that gives me the best shaves of my life, and it's beautiful to boot!

There's all sorts of things that are flawed yet do their job quite well...
myself included,but complacency usually doesn't go unpunished.

7 414