03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I am wondering if Trumper's creams and I are never to be.

Sadly, while I've gotten seemingly incredible lather with both the Coconut and the Violet, (from the tubes), they irritate my face horribly, especially around the mouth area. The burning starts about 2 minutes after application.
I was under the impression that these were two of their most gentle/sensitive skin formulas.

Does anyone else have trouble like this with any of Trumper's creams? Are any other of the scents recommended for me to give a shot? Are the tubs any different than the tubes?

I hesitate to try their soaps based on this. I wanted to love this line considering I love their Skin Food and all of the colognes I have tried so far and GFT cologne is a staple for me but I fear that since that one is a citrus, the cream may be a killer for me.

Any help is appreciated!

6 905
 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It sounds like you are sensitive to the fragrance oils. Certain creams burn my face as well. For instance, I cannot use Musgo Real cream, Erasmic cream or Taylor Rose cream but the Trumper creams do not give me any problems. Everyone is different.

45 16,361
 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
As Phil said,Im sure that you are allergic to one/various of the cream ingredients.I had a terrible skin reaction (twice) from the GFT shaving cream,while I dont have the same problems using any other of the Geo F. Trumper creams line,including the new Spanish Leather.
The soaps have different ingredients than the creams,but if you think that you could be allergic to the ones that gives the scent, I would avoid them too.

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. This could get pricey finding a Trumper's that works. Biggrin

Reading that it's not the case across the line with the Trumper range is a bit comforting though. The almond looks like a try to me, especially considering it's not colored and doesn't appear to be overly scented from what I'm told.

6 905
 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
User Info
Just a question, why must it be Trumpers? There are so many really good soaps, soft soaps, and creams available and they are at least as good as Trumpers, and many are quite a bit better IMO. Why chance more of the same?

I'm using Trumper creams right now. Samples that I was sent some time ago. I tried a few and put them away until now. At the time I thought they were pretty good, but after using other soaps, soft soaps, and creams I realize they are just middle of the road for quality. Yes, they lather like gangbusters, but the good stuff for the face is lacking. There is enough in the mix, but just barely.

If you want I can send you the samples that I have that you haven't tried. They were beginning to harden, so I added a few drops of water to each to bring them back and now they're fine.

PM me if you want them on my dime.

32 6,311
 03-28-2012, 10:43 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You might also want to try an unscented cream or soap. There are lots of them available.

100 12,450
 03-28-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
(03-28-2012, 10:05 AM)EHV Wrote: Thanks guys, I appreciate it. This could get pricey finding a Trumper's that works. Biggrin

Reading that it's not the case across the line with the Trumper range is a bit comforting though. The almond looks like a try to me, especially considering it's not colored and doesn't appear to be overly scented from what I'm told.

Get a sample pack from trumpers or someone else. TOBS almond and rose irritate my face. but mr taylor and the rest are just fine.

0 68
 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I hear you guys. I guess I was just hoping that Trumper had something good for me considering that I adore a lot of their other products. I have lots of other creams that work like a charm so to keep chomping at the bit for a Trumper cream that works is kinda odd. I'd bet one or more may work and a sample pack is the way to go as well as keeping with the non-Trumper things that work so well. Thank you for the offer Brian, you are too kind!

I gave some Nivea Mild received from Phil a go today and had a similar irritation issue with that. I need to figure out what specific ingredient(s) cause my issue or.....I just need to stop the cream AD.....Biggrin

Thankfully, a MAGNIFICENT aftershave formulation helped quell the irritation. Wink

6 905
 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
User Info
BTW, Trumpers sells a handy little Sampler on their website. I believe it comes with all/or most of their shave creams, and a selection of their colognes, and one skin food sample. Even shipped to the US it was something like $11 or $12 I think.

An inexpensive way to try their creams to see if one agrees with you, and to get some of their colognes at the same time. I was even able to specify a preference for having a particular cologne sample included on my last order, which they kindly provided.

It's one of the great 'bargains' in the shave product field to me, and I've ordered 1 every year for the last few years. Here's a picture of the last one I recieived:

[Image: 100_3407-1.jpg]

0 252
 04-02-2012, 07:18 AM
User Info
All the GFT cream samples I tried burned me as well. As such I can't use them.

The rose soap is fine, trouble is no consistency from batch to batch. You might get something that works great, or requires a great deal of patience to lather, or does not lather well at all.

My advice would be to move onto another UK brand, such as Taylor's or DR Harris.

0 189
 04-02-2012, 07:30 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-02-2012, 07:18 AM)cvac Wrote: All the GFT cream samples I tried burned me as well. As such I can't use them.

The rose soap is fine, trouble is no consistency from batch to batch. You might get something that works great, or requires a great deal of patience to lather, or does not lather well at all.

My advice would be to move onto another UK brand, such as Taylor's or DR Harris.

Or even Truefitt and Hill,which are making really nice shaving creams.
Too sad for Geo F. Trumpers,but at least,the coconut cream its really good.

86 7,124
 04-02-2012, 08:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Most of the UK made soaps irritate my face except for the MWF. But it's not just UK soaps, Musgo Real Cream irritates my face also, and that's to bad as I love the cream. I'm pretty much stuck in a very small soap/cream rut as there are only a handful that do not irritate my face.

173 23,554
 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
I have to say that I'm not a big fan of GFT creams. I just don't find them to be slick and cushioning enough, which is a shame because I love the smell of the violet cream.

72 1,407
 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
  • JimPo42
  • Gilbertsville, PA
User Info
If you go to Trumpers website you can get the sample pack mentioned above for $12.72 shipped. I ordered mine, not sure how long that will take to get here though.

0 40
 04-17-2012, 02:53 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks JimPo!

I think that I'll do this and give Trumper's one more try.

(04-16-2012, 02:46 PM)JimPo42 Wrote: If you go to Trumpers website you can get the sample pack mentioned above for $12.72 shipped. I ordered mine, not sure how long that will take to get here though.

6 905
 04-17-2012, 03:35 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
When I first started wet shaving my dad gave me a large starter kit with samples from several of his soaps and creams. There were multiple Trumper's in the mix and they irritated my face something fierce. I never used a Trumper's cream again and haven't had issues with irritation since. Obviously everyone's different and I'm sure for many their the best, but I would never recommend them for anyone with sensitive skin.

45 3,955
 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
I tried a sample of the Trumper's Limes Cream today and really didn't need an aftershave afterwards due to the creams ability to moisturize. I think it's maybe a little better than Taylors.

Clayton

6 617
 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 12:28 PM)GeneAut Wrote: BTW, Trumpers sells a handy little Sampler on their website. I believe it comes with all/or most of their shave creams, and a selection of their colognes, and one skin food sample. Even shipped to the US it was something like $11 or $12 I think.

An inexpensive way to try their creams to see if one agrees with you, and to get some of their colognes at the same time. I was even able to specify a preference for having a particular cologne sample included on my last order, which they kindly provided.

It's one of the great 'bargains' in the shave product field to me, and I've ordered 1 every year for the last few years. Here's a picture of the last one I recieived:

You paid $12 for samples? Samples are usually given out free. I've never paid for samples and never will. If a retailer has samples I'll ask for some with my purchase most of the time.

0 128
 04-20-2012, 05:14 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
These samples are shipped from the UK. For those of us in the States, I'm sure shipping is a factor. It is also a comprehensive sample set and something that could potentially save $$$.
It would have been cheaper for me to get the sample set first that to pay for the full tube of the Trumper cream that I couldn't use. Biggrin

I've never paid for fragrance or small product samples at brick and mortar stores like Sephora but in this case, it's a bit different.

(04-19-2012, 10:47 PM)JonJones84 Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 12:28 PM)GeneAut Wrote: BTW, Trumpers sells a handy little Sampler on their website. I believe it comes with all/or most of their shave creams, and a selection of their colognes, and one skin food sample. Even shipped to the US it was something like $11 or $12 I think.

You paid $12 for samples? Samples are usually given out free. I've never paid for samples and never will. If a retailer has samples I'll ask for some with my purchase most of the time.

6 905
 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
User Info
(04-19-2012, 10:47 PM)JonJones84 Wrote:

Hey Jon! I'm glad you've never paid for samples. However, as I don't live in a town that has any retailers with Trumper products, and as I lack the funds to wing to London to drop in on the Trumper barbershop I was willing to spend $12 to get it shipped to my house.

I still consider it a great bargain because I am sure there is at least $12 worth of product in the set. Also, having the Spanish Leather cologne from the set made it an easy decision to spend $18 on a tube of the Spanish Leather cream when it was released recently.

0 252