01-11-2013, 08:20 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Hello Gents and Ladies!

I recently acquired a bowl of Spanish Fig and Nutmeg Shave Soap and wanted to give you my thoughts.

I got it on Amazon on sale before Christmas and really liked the Smart Packaging. The box is well constructed and the soap comes with a ribbon of sorts that attached the lid to the bowl.

A) Scent - I was very put off by the scent...I smelled neither Nutmeg nor Fig in this soap. What I smelled was a herbaceous floral with a hint of Cinnamon. While pleasant, it was not what I thought it would be at all. I was quite dissappointed with the scent, actually.

B) Lathering - As I have often stated I can lather most any soap, but this one took slightly longer to lather with my water than most of my other soaps. It took some effort, but my Simpsons 57 2-band was able to make enough lather for 3 passes. I felt some burning on the third pass on my neck, but could have also been caused by the blade as it has been about 6 shaves with it. I used my Merkur Bakelite Slant and an Astra SP.

C) Slickness - For me the slickness just wasn't there although there was enough cusion to allow the blade to slide smoothly. I wished it was a bit slicker, though especially toward the end.

D) Burn Test - I lathered and rinsed three times and on the fourth lather I let the soap stay on for about 5 minutes. I noticed a stinging on my jawline and neck after about 3 minutes, and five minutes was all I cared to let it stay on.

E) Heat - This soap DOES NOT like heat. I tried lathering in my hot scuttle and could not get a stable lather at all.

F) Bowl Design - I don't usually rate the bowl, but this one was so pretty that I had to mention it. The color is a high sheen mahogany stain, and the bowl is waxed. The bowl came wrapped in a sheet of wax paper, and was tucked inside an outer box with a small round of wax paper affixed with wax to the soap. The top is smooth, but had a nice small thin ribbon attaching it to the bowl. I liked that so I left it in place. The bowl is handsome sitting on my counter. The bowl is a keeper regardless of soap.

G) Overall - I was put off by the difficulty in lathering and the fact that it smelled nothing like Fig ot Nutmeg to my nose. The soap is useable, but it is nowhere near a DR Harris, or Trumper. This is comparable to a Van Der Hagen or perhapthe new formulation of Coates. I was underwhelmed by the slickness, or lack thereof, and it left my skin begging for a moisturizer. Perhaps if i had shaved using distilled water i would have had different results, but since distilled water does run from my tap I decided to do a real world test.

Overall I give this soap a 6 out of 10, losing 3 full marks for the lack of slickness, and 1 for the scent. When this puck is gone, I shant buy a refill.

Comments are welcome, pro or con.

Cheers!

68 1,417
 01-11-2013, 09:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My comments : http://shavenook.com/thread-spanish-fig-...aving-soap

It seems we had a different experience with this shaving soap.For me is a very good soap , nice scent , easy to lather and good slickness , but as you pointed , not the best.Actually , I find it as good as the old Trumper veggie based soaps (the ones that were usable) or the old T&H luxury soap.

86 7,124
 01-11-2013, 09:58 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Teiste,

I got much better lather when I lived in Grantsville in Tooele County. I wish my water here was as salted/soft as your water...I saw how easily you lathered the MdC...haha

Water ratio and quality really do play a part in lather production...Beautiful pictures, as always!

Cheers!

68 1,417
 01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-11-2013, 09:58 PM)Crag Wrote: Teiste,

I got much better lather when I lived in Grantsville in Tooele County. I wish my water here was as salted/soft as your water...I saw how easily you lathered the MdC...haha

Water ratio and quality really do play a part in lather production...Beautiful pictures, as always!

Cheers!

Interesting , my friend.I didnt know you lived in Utah.

My water here is super hard , let me tell you , and I dont have a water softener , as I should by now...but , I can lather fairly well plenty of soaps , so lucky me.

Thanks for your thoughts about this soap.I wonder if it will be reformulated too.

86 7,124