01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
User Info
what are you guys using? has anyone used Mike's bath soaps as a pre-shave soap?

I have ach brito glyce lime soap here. I used it tonight in the shower and now my face is on FIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to need to make a switch I suppose.

40 5,830
 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Regular glycerin bar from your neighborhood health food store. I too find brito to be harsh.

88 4,233
 01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey there Andrew... I am into getting a great shave at a cheap price... Kind of a Blue Collar wet shave. For my pre shave/ prep wash I use "Clearly Natural" glycerine soap. There are several scents, aloe, vitamin e, etc, as well as un-scented. You can find it at the Dollar Tree and at some groceries and drug stores. It cost around $1.50 a bar. I wash my face well then apply a hot towel to rinse.... Very gentle on your skin. My 9 year old daughter likes to wash her face with it and she has super sensitive skin. She will wash her face 3 or 4 times a day...lol Another thing is you can melt it down in the microwave and add scents to make a custom shave soap. I mix it 50/50 with DvH unscented that I got from Amazon. It makes a good slick lather. I have a Clubman, Eucalyptus, Old Spice, Bay Rum, and a Bay-Lime shave soaps that I made... They work great. Slick and thick.... Happy Shaves...

5 1,151
 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
User Info
(01-11-2013, 09:47 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Hey there Andrew... I am into getting a great shave at a cheap price... Kind of a Blue Collar wet shave. For my pre shave/ prep wash I use "Clearly Natural" glycerine soap. There are several scents, aloe, vitamin e, etc, as well as un-scented. You can find it at the Dollar Tree and at some groceries and drug stores. It cost around $1.50 a bar. I wash my face well then apply a hot towel to rinse.... Very gentle on your skin. My 9 year old daughter likes to wash her face with it and she has super sensitive skin. She will wash her face 3 or 4 times a day...lol Another thing is you can melt it down in the microwave and add scents to make a custom shave soap. I mix it 50/50 with DvH unscented that I got from Amazon. It makes a good slick lather. I have a Clubman, Eucalyptus, Old Spice, Bay Rum, and a Bay-Lime shave soaps that I made... They work great. Slick and thick.... Happy Shaves...

I'll have to see if my local dollar tree sells any clearly natural soaps.

40 5,830
 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM
User Info
I'll also suggest Clearly Natural. I get them from my local Publix grocery for $1.29 each. Whole Foods also carries it but charges closer to $2 for the same bar. I've not seen them at my local dollar stores but I will be checking the next time I need to stock up.

31 7,912
 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
User Info
I don't use anything special as a preshave...just use what I use everyday which is Bare Essentials Purifying Facial Cleanser. It's a great product, although I would never expect a dude to go out and buy it on his own...I use it bc it's what the wife buys and it works great...Cool

Edit: I did use Shea Moisture's facial scrub for a short time and it worked well...its a very mild facial scrub.

5 938
 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I find that the wash (getting the oil off my beard) is the most important thing. Right now, I'm using a standard Dove bar on days I don't shower just before shaving. Previously I used Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap.

In the shower I soak my beard in Kiss My Face, which does a great job softening the hairs.

10 1,858
 01-12-2013, 12:35 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Lately I have been using either the Clearly Natural from the Dollar Tree or Noxzema moisturizing cleanser. The latter is the good old Noxzema used for acne, but this has added moisturizers for skin care. When using either product I scrub my face thoroughly and then leave it on there for another minute or two making sure to rinse it off before lathering up. I find that this preparation leaves my face and stubble shave ready and have gotten really good results this way.

125 2,373
 01-12-2013, 04:07 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Lime soap was no good for me either. I don't use any pre shave soaps or products other than plain old hot water...

91 17,794
 01-12-2013, 05:48 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have been using Proraso preshave soap, with good results.

1 3,507
 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I use the Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar (Fragrance-Free). It's the same soap I always wash my face with. I don't shower before shaving and this soap works fine for a prep.

0 204
 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM
User Info
And the Clearly Natural makes a pretty decent shave soap as well. Just melt it into a tub and load the brush from there. When it's melted you can add the scent of your choice, menthol, whatever. Just stir it in.

Pre shave soaps.... I use just a bit of my shave soap of the day and work it onto my skin with a little water. It doesn't take much. Then my hot towel.

Frankly, any soap can be used as a pre-shave soap. But if someone wants to buy something labled "Pre-Shave soap" go for it.

Edit: Note to self... proofread better!

32 6,308
 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I use the MR GLO and the RazoRock Lime Pre Shave Soap. IMO the RazoRock is far superior to the MR GLO.

45 3,955
 01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
my local dollar tree had a ton of clearly natural soap as well as a ton of other brands, like brut and palmolive and yardley and a brand called pear, I think.

[Image: 20130112_152416.jpg?m=1358022655]

40 5,830
 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The Yardley, Palmolive and Pear soaps are great in the shower, I really like the scent of the Palmolive. The Pear soap should not be used for shaving though! It contains some spice oils that will surely aggravate the face once a blade is dragged across it. Trust me, my face burned for a whole day after trying it.

125 2,373
 01-13-2013, 06:52 AM
User Info
What makes a pre-shave soap any better, or different, than the soap you usually have in the shower? I have a heavy beard, so, after showering, I use a pre-shave balm from Mundus, that I found on http://www.etsy.com, that seems to help me get a closer shave.

6 230
 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
There you go Andrew. It looks like you scored.... I love the stuff...

5 1,151
 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
These two are my main go to's also. Too bad that the RazoRock is sold out until the middle of March!

Neutrogena's Razor Defense Scrub works very well for me too.

(01-12-2013, 11:41 AM)tgutc Wrote: I use the MR GLO and the RazoRock Lime Pre Shave Soap. IMO the RazoRock is far superior to the MR GLO.

6 905
 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-12-2013, 12:29 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: my local dollar tree had a ton of clearly natural soap as well as a ton of other brands, like brut and palmolive and yardley and a brand called pear, I think.

Hi Andrew

Please report back on the performance of the Burt soap.

Dave reported good things about the Pears soap from Dollar Tree here...

Additionally, you may find this thread worth a read...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
User Info
Call me old fashioned, but I prefer Proraso Pre-shave!

[Image: Proraso_1950_web.jpg]

0 217