01-12-2013, 08:57 AM
User Info
I have a couple of months worth of DE shaves under my belt using DE89, 23C and a Ball End Tech razors. Things are going very smoothly and I'm getting great shaves. I'm really enjoying all three of my razors, but I absolutely love the feel and balance of the Tech.

I now have it in my head that I NEED an AS-D1. If anyone has experience with the razors that I've been using as well as the Feather I would love to hear your thoughts. Comparison photos, especially with a Tech, would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

0 205
 01-12-2013, 02:12 PM
User Info
Jeff, i don't have any pictures, but i had the AS-D1, twice, and for around four weeks in total. If you like the design of the Feather and you want a stainless steel version of a Tech, but a much milder version, then get the Feather, in my opinion. i know a few other gents really like it, but i just found it too mild for my coarse beard. In addition, i also tried varying angles with no success. If you are really enjoying the Tech, then just get a few more different ones to add to your collection instead of paying the $150 for the Feather. However, that is just my perspective and you may actually like the Feather which is sounds like you would since you like the Tech. The decision is yours to make. Good luck.

75 20,883
 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
Thanks for your input. I DO see more Techs in my future. Smile

Jeff

0 205
 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have a few techs, and my favourites are the English-made ones (above the USA and Canadian versions). The metal is a thicker and they have more heft generally. I don't see much difference with the reputed D-hole tech really; they are purportedly more 'aggressive'. In my book, the Fat Handle Tech is the better Tech, and they look so cool, too. There is the Slim Handle Tech, too, which gives as good a shave as any. I also have a four-piece Canadian Tech, service issue, a little lighter weighted, but it shaves superbly well. there are other differences with the heads and base plates on the fat handle Techs; some are rounder, some flatter. But everyone has their own preference.I am currently using an English Ball-end Tech from around 1956?? Great shave. It's solid metal (nickel-plated brass?), not the aluminium model. I don't mind the aluminium ones though either. I have a few travel techs too Smile (in heavier metal, not aluminium; I think they are too small for lighter materials).

(01-12-2013, 08:51 PM)Shaun Wrote: I have a few techs, and my favourites are the English-made ones (above the USA and Canadian versions). The metal is a thicker and they have more heft generally. I don't see much difference with the reputed D-hole tech really; they are purportedly more 'aggressive'. In my book, the Fat Handle Tech is the better Tech, and they look so cool, too. There is the Slim Handle Tech, too, which gives as good a shave as any. I also have a four-piece Canadian Tech, service issue, a little lighter weighted, but it shaves superbly well. there are other differences with the heads and base plates on the fat handle Techs; some are rounder, some flatter. But everyone has their own preference.I am currently using an English Ball-end Tech from around 1956?? Great shave. It's solid metal (nickel-plated brass?), not the aluminium model. I don't mind the aluminium ones though either. I have a few travel techs too Smile (in heavier metal, not aluminium; I think they are too small for lighter materials).

...and the less I say about the AS-D1 the better...as we all know Smile

0 1,625
 01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Check this out re Gillette Fat Handle Tech

0 1,625
 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
The Tech (with Feather blade) has such a light touch that I'm finding it easier to clean up my problem neck areas ATG without irritation. Will I experience a similar shave with an AS-D1?

Jeff

0 205
 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I own the AS-D1. I am one of the people who like it. It is the mildest razor I have ever used. It will not give you a BBS shave unless you have a very light beard. I get a "good" shave with it. I use the Merkur OCs mostly and the Merkur Progress for closer shaves.

I am also learning to shave with a straight. This or too many attempts at a BBS with my other DEs, leave my skin, especially the neck, irritated. I pull out my Feather and shave with it for a while. Skin gets a chance to heal, you look clean shaven and it is an enjoyable razor to shave with. Recently, I purchased the base plate for the iKon OSS razor (about $40). It has the same finish as the Feather and the Feather top plate fits it perfectly. I now have three razors in one; a very mild CC, a little more aggressive CC and a medium OC.

Whether the Feather is going to satisfy you I cannot say. If you cannot stand to feel any stubble at all after you shave, then skip it, get the iKon OSS. But if you want a razor that will spare your skin and give you a good shave, then you should enjoy the Feather.

Also, I mostly use Feather blades in all my razors. Good shaving.

16 545
 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
User Info
(01-12-2013, 08:57 AM)jds1 Wrote: I have a couple of months worth of DE shaves under my belt using DE89, 23C and a Ball End Tech razors. Things are going very smoothly and I'm getting great shaves. I'm really enjoying all three of my razors, but I absolutely love the feel and balance of the Tech.

I now have it in my head that I NEED an AS-D1. If anyone has experience with the razors that I've been using as well as the Feather I would love to hear your thoughts. Comparison photos, especially with a Tech, would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
It is too mild for me. But a very effective smooth razor. YMMV.....here is a vid review

0 606