01-12-2013, 09:47 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
Many of you know Mark (mycarver) from the straights subforum where he displays his beautiful restorations and almost magic of bringing them back. I entrusted him to a project for bringing my Plisson back as I had worked with him before on another handle.

Here are Mark's words on working with the brush:
"Prior to breaking down the original brush I duplicate the shape in the Burl. I then broke down the Plisson. Turns out the handle was cast in two pieces. The upper half screwed into the lower half capturing the knot. The knot itself had a base made out of what seemed like ceramic. I had to break this casing as well. Under it I found the knot was tied with string but still held together for the most part. I epoxied the knot back together to keep it intact before inserting it in the new handle.
The original loft was 59mm but since there was some glue exposed on the hairs and the fact he wanted a bit more backbone to the knot I dropped it to 57. This did the trick. It eliminated the visible glue as well as gave him the feel he wanted."

I'll let the pictures do the talking....

[Image: IMG_3529_zpsa1494232.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3531_zps8fd2ab8c.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3534_zpsbdf295b2.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3536_zpsc78e0b3a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3541_zps2e250279.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3538_zpsd43f0491.jpg]

And my thoughts:

When I received this brush from eBay about 8 months ago, I knew of the crack in the handle but was dying to get my hands on a vintage Plisson brush from the 70s/early 80s, which is where I'd estimate this one is from. The crack kept the price down for a plisson and I tried to temporarily fix it with some CA, with some getting into the base of the knot (Doh!)

It didn't affect its performance and it became a top 5 brush for me. It splayed a little too much on the face, probably due to a very long loft for me (brush is about 26 mm and had 59mm loft). That said it had very good backbone for what it was and that ever rare scritch I get from only very few brushes (i.e. Rooney Finest).

I was going to have Mark carve me a Thater octagon handle, as I really like that one, but decided ultimately it would be a shame to change the handle. We settled on the same handle design and shortening the loft 2mm to hide my little glue accident. I supplied the burl that I had sitting around for over a year waiting for the right knot to turn a handle for and the rest is in the pictures.

Needless to say when I got it back I was impressed. The weight is soooo much more balanced than the stock handle. The brush firmed up a lot from just that short change.

Now for use - WOW~!
I couldn't believe it. No more splaying. Just the total perfect amount of backbone and a slightly more scritch sensation. More so than my Rooney Finest and about in line with my somerset (2000 era) Chubby 2 manchurian.

This brush that was once a top 5 brush for me is now solidly at #2. Besting my Rooney Finest 1/2 (dropped down to #3) and only slightly behind my somerset manchurian CH2.

I've owned the Rooney for about 3 years and it held my top spot for a very long time. I thought I'd never find anything even near it, let alone replace it. And now in the past year I've acquired 2 brushes that do. Sad that all three are knots that are long gone and nothing in production now can touch them. I digress...

I'd recommend Mark for any sort of project be it brush, straight, or probably a number of other things. I'm more than happy how this turned out.

Used it again last night and it continues to impress.

11 185
 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM
User Info
Wow, that is beautiful, Joe. I am more and more impressed with Mark's work. That is now a unique and lovely brush.

183 12,002
 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This looks unbelievably good! How heavy is it?

88 4,233
 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
Thanks guys!

(01-12-2013, 09:50 AM)beartrap Wrote: This looks unbelievably good! How heavy is it?

It added a bit more heft to it, which is good cause the original cast handle was light in weight. It is just so solid now with the perfect weight all around. I see myself reaching for it more and more in the future.

11 185
 01-12-2013, 09:57 AM
User Info
Wow, that is very nice!

31 1,800
 01-12-2013, 10:16 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Stunning, just absolutely stunning. I did not know Mark also turned handles for brushes.

173 23,486
 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Those are the good Plisson , my friend.The new ones arent as good as the hair used in this vintage ones.
The handle is simply a beauty.Now , I hope that you can get a Plisson decal from Vikim Diffusion and put it on that beauty.

86 7,123
 01-12-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
Wow, Joe, that is a magnificent handle and brush!!
Mark does some amazing work and i also had no idea he turned handles! Enjoy the brush.

75 20,883
 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wonderful work by Mark, enjoy!

91 17,795
 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
(01-12-2013, 10:16 AM)Johnny Wrote: Stunning, just absolutely stunning. I did not know Mark also turned handles for brushes.

Brushes and bowls are what he started with if I remember correctly.

Hes a very modest guy too, hes right up there with the best of the best turners.

0 652
 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Congratulations to both of you.

47 1,377
 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
WOW ! That fine knot in that amazing handle...enjoy !Smile

0 1,291
 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
The new handle looks great and it is neat seeing how the knot was tied with butchers twine.

2 501
 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
Great work !

22 5,043
 01-13-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
Glad you're enjoying that brush. It had its' challenges but I enjoyed working on it.
As far as making brushes, that is how I started this whole shaving journey. Being a full time woodcarver/woodworker it came naturally. Then I started making my own acrylic and butterscotch. Then along came straights and I haven't been right since!
Some time ago I had posted many of my brushes from my collection but here are a few I recently built to change up my rotation as well as a few others. The pink set by the way isn't mine, I built it for a friends daughter. Hence the 'bling' and color she wanted.

some shots from my collection I had posted.

0 772
 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Joe

Enjoy the reborn brush, she's a beauty Thumbsup

No question about it (at least in my eyes), Mark is a true craftsman of the highest quality...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
I have the same Plisson. Neat to see how they are constructed (not that I expected anything other than a hand-tied knot). Interesting that the handle is screwed together as well. I couldn't get mine to unscrew, but I didn't try too hard.

30 275
 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
I was a bit surprised myself. I saw the casting marks and knew it wasn't a turned handle,, but when I cracked it while it was in the lathe, thinking it was one piece, and saw what happened i was really a bit shocked. I figured ,, OK,, a cast handle and it was drilled for the knot,, but I certainly didn't expect two pieces screwed together with the "ceramic" base on the knot.
Threw me for a loop!

0 772