01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hello Gents.
Today I received my Star DE in the mail that I purchased off ebay. It is really in utility condition. Upon inspection and after disinfecting it I loaded a new Feather blade. I noticed a small contour in the top plate that looked like it had been over tightened many times over the years. I straddled it across 2 pieces of wood and tapped lightly with a hammer. I got it back as it should be.

The handle is what caught my eye. It has a nice bit of heft and the knurling is very intricate and well done. Both the top plate and the bottom plate are of a hefty metal and the pins allow the blade to align perfectly.

After my usual pre shave regimen I put this nice little razor through her paces. The razor feels good in my hand and the knurling makes it easy to control. The handle is virtual non slip. The balance is excellent and the weight of the razor is perfect for allowing the Feather blade to do its job.

I made a WTG, ATG, and a few touch ups.

The Star DE razor performed well for my 1st run with her. I got a DFS with 2+ passes. I would say it is more aggressive than my Super Speed and is really close to the Red Tip. A tad more than the Tech. Even though I had to make a minor adjustment I got a great deal on a not so common American made razor. It is gave me a sweet shave with little effort. IMHO It is a winner.

Highly recommended. I like it cause it's just a bit off the beaten path. PLUS- It did its job. Very well....

[Image: 34e2v7o.jpg]

[Image: k0ompy.jpg]

[Image: 16t6jn.jpg]

5 1,151
 01-12-2013, 08:41 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the success with the razor! i hope it brings you many more great shaves.

75 20,883
 01-12-2013, 08:55 PM
User Info
Good read. Yup, sounds quite likeable for all the reasons you gave. Especially because not everyone has one. I love the handle.

32 6,308
 01-12-2013, 10:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks Sav, a 5 star review on the star razor! I hope she continues to be a bright shiner for you...

91 17,795
 01-13-2013, 06:58 AM
User Info
Sav,

The Star DE is my favorite DE, and I have had a bunch. As you mentioned, the handle is excellent. The Star DE has nice balance. With a good blade it is very hard to get a bad shave using a Star.

6 230
 01-13-2013, 09:29 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice review thank you. The Star is a fairly popular razor and performs outstanding.

100 12,436
 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
Nice find! I'll have to be on the lookout for one of those.

Jeff

0 205
 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Another great shave from this sweet little razor..(2nd time we danced). .. Loaded with the same Feather from the 1st shave she went through her paces so smooth and deftly. Such an easy to control razor, I got a 2 pass DFS. Only slight need for a couple touch ups where my Italian hair grows in a knot...lol... I used an Arko stick for the software.... If you spot one of these BUY IT !!!

5 1,151
 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I bought one of these sight unseen last year and it has ascended to the top of the rotation,a darn fine implement.The gold plated ones are fairly common and the chrome plated not so much.I really like mine.

0 274
 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I've had one of these for some time, but I haven't used it enough to really get to know it. Maybe I should give it another try, but I am definitely moving back in the direction of very mild razors.

- Murray

4 1,150
 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice review on an underrated DE! I have one and was impressed with it's design and shave. Definitely an under the radar razor! Thanks for sharing.

35 2,703
 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I have 2 of these and I love them! For me they are in the category of Krona and 40's Superspeed, mild on the face, but still efficient. In my opinion, Techs are mild but not efficient enough.
Enjoy your Star DE!

0 911