01-13-2013, 04:56 AM
  • bzhgeek
  • On acquisition diet. O RLY ?
  • Near Plisson's HQ in France
User Info
Hi,

I have searched and searched again but could not find any directly related thread so I figured I would just start a new one. I hope I am doing right.

So yesterday I made the biggest purchase in my wetshaving AD life, I bough a Plisson High Mountain White horn handled size 18 (!!!) from fellow Nooker Edson. This is a really huge investment for me and I will have to make some sales to cope with it for sure.

So being such a pricey brush with a horn handle, I am wondering if horn handles need specific care or maintenance. To this day I have only used acrylic handled brushes and my post shaving routine is always to rince it until clear water comes out then gently flick it dry and then some wiping on a dry towel. Depending on my mood the brush sits on its handle to dry or on a stand knot down. I did not really care much about it to be honest.

So what about horn handled brushes ?
Shall I avoid at all cost to get the handle immersed in water ?
Does it support warm or hot water ? To which point ?
May lather damage the finish in any way ?
Shall I let it dry knot up or down ?
Is any other maintenance treatment needed ?

So many questions come to my mind as this really is a brush I don't want to damage so your knowledgeable experience would be really appreciated. I know first hand that horn handled straights need some care with hot water so the scales don't twist but to me a brush handle is a discovery.

Thanks for your time reading,

Regards,

Nicolas

1 66
 01-13-2013, 05:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Neatsfoot oil can be applied occasionally to condition and maintain the horn, otherwise use (and importantly) enjoy as you would any other brush. Congratulations on a fine acquisition!

91 17,823
 01-13-2013, 05:06 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Ah, I will have to find the French equivalent to this, I never heard this name.
I suppose you apply it with a rag, remove excess oil and then rub it to a shine ?

Thanks for the tip

1 66
 01-13-2013, 05:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
1. Apply with a cloth or your hands.
2. Leave it to soak in.
3. Buff to a shine with a soft cloth.

The neatsfoot oil is to stop the horn from drying out.
Depending on climatic conditions and use you might do it once a year or every few months.
Olive oil is any easy alternative. I've also heard of mineral oil being utilised.
To maintain shine, more regular applications are required.
I have about half a dozen horn handles (mostly Plisson and a couple from TI) and am happy with the neatsfoot oil treatment.
However, I believe to achieve the ultimate results, a "Renaissance Wax" treatment provides an unbeatable smooth shine...

91 17,823
 01-13-2013, 05:29 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Nice to know !

And as I am wondering, do horn handles need specific precautions for use regarding water, drying and such ?

1 66
 01-13-2013, 05:35 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Soap, water and air exposure will cause the handles to take on a dull finish. The oil restores the lustre, but most importantly conditions the horn preventing it from drying out. High temperatures and dropping should be avoided and oil applied to prevent cracking, other than that... get it wet and soapy as you would any other brush.

Enjoy it, oil it, use it!

91 17,823
 01-13-2013, 05:40 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
(01-13-2013, 05:35 AM)ben74 Wrote: Enjoy it, oil it, use it!

So I was wrong assimilating horn care with wood care ? No worries to have ?

And I understand then that you would condition horn like you would condition leather in a regular manner, that's right ?

1 66
 01-13-2013, 06:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Some wood, such as Cocobolo possess greater moisture resistance properties than others. Generally horn handles on shaving brushes are coated with a water proofing agent.

Horn consist of keratin and is akin to a thermoplastic. Regular conditioning should ensure many years of good service.

Extreme or rapid changes in temperature or humidity, air conditioning units, heaters, direct sunlight, harsh cleaning products are all recommended to be avoided.

91 17,823
 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Thank you very much Ben for your thorough answer.
Sorry to be so fearful, I guess I will have to get used to handling it on a daily basis without worrying too much. Just like handling a nice watch or driving a nice car, you eventually get over it I suppose Blush

1 66
 01-13-2013, 07:18 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I always thought neatsfoot oil dried material out? For leather break in, I was told to use neatsfoot with a combination of mink oil b/c of the hydrating qualities of mink oil.

9 408
 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM
User Info
(01-13-2013, 04:56 AM)bzhgeek Wrote: Hi,

I have searched and searched again but could not find any directly related thread so I figured I would just start a new one. I hope I am doing right.

So yesterday I made the biggest purchase in my wetshaving AD life, I bough a Plisson High Mountain White horn handled size 18 (!!!) from fellow Nooker Edson. This is a really huge investment for me and I will have to make some sales to cope with it for sure.

So being such a pricey brush with a horn handle, I am wondering if horn handles need specific care or maintenance. To this day I have only used acrylic handled brushes and my post shaving routine is always to rince it until clear water comes out then gently flick it dry and then some wiping on a dry towel. Depending on my mood the brush sits on its handle to dry or on a stand knot down. I did not really care much about it to be honest.

So what about horn handled brushes ?
Shall I avoid at all cost to get the handle immersed in water ?
Does it support warm or hot water ? To which point ?
May lather damage the finish in any way ?
Shall I let it dry knot up or down ?

So many questions come to my mind as this really is a brush I don't want to damage so your knowledgeable experience would be really appreciated. I know first hand that horn handled straights need some care with hot water so the scales don't twist but to me a brush handle is a discovery.

Thanks for your time reading,

Regards,

Nicolas

Hello Nicholas, you are going to love this brush. I have the same model & size as yours, use it and enjoy.

Some of the points you raised and a few suggestions you may consider:

So what about horn handled brushes ? It's organic material
Shall I avoid at all cost to get the handle immersed in water ? If Possible make sure handle is above the waterline.
Does it support warm or hot water ? To which point ? Warm
May lather damage the finish in any way ? No
Shall I let it dry knot up or down ? Down with this size of knot at least 48Hrs if not more
Buy yourself some 100% pure Neatsfoot Oil apply this too your horn handle handle say every three (3) months or so. All my horn handle get this treatment.

No need to buff afterwards, let the Neatsfoot oil soak in...... Enjoy the brush.

Charles U.K

Ps: should you live near Vikim Diffusion ( Joris Plisson ) Joris Viart I'm sure would be pleased too see you.

0 2,339
 01-13-2013, 08:37 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Thanks for the tips.

I do live near Plisson/Vikim Diffusion. They are just at an hour drive from me so I really do plan to visit them.

Anybody already had a chance to do so by the way ?

I am pretty sure I will enjoy this brush, I am just nervous in anticipation. May the postman be gentle and fast this time Smile

1 66
 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM
User Info
(01-13-2013, 07:18 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: I always thought neatsfoot oil dried material out? For leather break in, I was told to use neatsfoot with a combination of mink oil b/c of the hydrating qualities of mink oil.

Hello Justin, nearly 90% of Neatsfoot oil sold is a blended mixture which contains spirits. And must not be used on Horn....... make sure you buy Pure 100%. not cloudy or crystals forming.

Charles U.K

(01-13-2013, 08:37 AM)bzhgeek Wrote: Thanks for the tips.

I do live near Plisson/Vikim Diffusion. They are just at an hour drive from me so I really do plan to visit them.

Anybody already had a chance to do so by the way ?

I am pretty sure I will enjoy this brush, I am just nervous in anticipation. May the postman be gentle and fast this time Smile

Nicholas, I forgot too mention re the beautiful patterning of the various horn handles. I was lucky enough to get a Joris / Plisson Open comb DE razor with a near identical markings to complement my brush.

Hope your brush arrives soon..............

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Edson confirmed to me that it is already shipped, I just have to be patient now...

1 66
 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Pics when it arrives! Biggrin

91 17,823
 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM
  • bzhgeek
User Info
Sure, it will have crossed the Atlantic Ocean back and forth. What a Badger !

1 66