01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
User Info
If you'll excuse the aeronautical term*, the angle of the blade have been somewhat on my mind lately - not the angle it has in regards to the razor (which differs between various razors), but the angle it has in regards to the skin when it cuts.

It is - like many other things - the fault of the cartridge shaving systems... the so called modern razor tends to have a flexible head, which is supposed to make shaving easier. A cartridge razor teaches us a lot of bad habits - use of excessive pressure is the one mentioned most often, but just as bad is the lack of proper angle... and when shaving DE (or SE) the angle of attack is alpha and omega in my opinion for getting that great shave.

The head of a traditional safety razor does NOT pivot. Therefore the pivoting action have to come from the wrist - making shaving a little more labour intensive, but more importantly giving the shaver near perfect control... unlike a wibbly-wobbly plastic hinge.

Maintain proper AoA at all times - and check your six for bogeys.

*)The difference between where the wing is pointed and the direction of the air flowing over the wing is the angle of attack

3 3,578
 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Hans, nice writeup and more importantly, reminder for us all!

35 2,703
 01-13-2013, 02:14 PM
User Info
100% correct Hans.

If I'm having trouble with my shave, blade/face angle, proper light pressure are always worth revisiting, especially with a less than effective lather.

3 452
 01-13-2013, 03:25 PM
User Info
Hans, great little reminder!

75 20,883
 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Does this angle relate at all to the IKON slant diagram which makes no sense to me at all...maybe it has something to do with aviation and you can explain it....very confusing (to me at least)...check it out on the IKON site under "Slant" 2013HuhSherlockDoubtConfused

6 1,913
 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
User Info
personally I find OC razors to be the easiest to find the correct angle with. if it's not right, the comb will rake the lather and you won't be cutting off much.

40 5,830
 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
User Info
(01-13-2013, 03:39 PM)Harvey Wrote: Does this angle relate at all to the IKON slant diagram which makes no sense to me at all...maybe it has something to do with aviation and you can explain it....very confusing (to me at least)...check it out on the IKON site under "Slant" 2013HuhSherlockDoubtConfused

As far as I can tell from a quick glance before I done with the first coffee of the day, that diagram tries to show the difference in "cutting width" of a slant vs a regular razor as a function of the slant angle... which happens in a different plane than the AoA I'm talking about.

Just a quick and dirty illustration:
- the green angle is the AoA of the blade - ie the angle between the non-cutting edge of the blade against the skin.
- the orange angle is the slant angle - ie the angle between the cutting edge of the blade and the vertical (most often the razor handle).
Does that help Harvey?

3 3,578
 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM
User Info
Angle is definitely and important factor and one I had trouble with early on. A few years ago when I was starting out I found the information linked below to be extremely helpful...probably the best write up on shaving angle that I've seen.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Blade_Angle

5 938
 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Wow ...I never thought of shaving this way...by using a protractor and my laser guided razor I will now be able to shave correctly..I will adapt this to my degree at MIT and proceed to shave tomorrow. Sincerely thank you for you imput and I realize now I have much to learn. In math class when the teacher says "pay attention" or you will be beared sloths we know to pay attention or else!!!!TongueDoubtNono

6 1,913