01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
I tried the Cobra Classic today for the first time and was thoroughly impressed! It felt great in the hand (relatively heavy / handle was fun) and took care of 2-day growth without breaking a sweat. No nicks or cuts, 2 pass BSS. I am amazed at the smoothness and closeness of the shave! While I did 2 passes, for the most part it was 1 pass and a cleanup.

As I like both straights & DE razors this really is a wonderful hybrid. I look forward to trying a few different blades and finding a way to use this razor A LOT!

My only question is cleanup. Should I take the blade off and clean (like I do w DE blades)? Given the small / thin size, this seemed like the most precarious part of the shave today.

191 1,552
 01-13-2013, 04:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Glad you are enjoying the Cobra, it's truly a fantastic tool. I always remove the blade after each use.

91 17,851
 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
User Info
Congrats on the conversion. It is much more enjoyable than being assimilated! Tongue

It's a stainless steel blade. I leave it in the razor after a very thorough rinsing, some light shakes, & a towel dry. It will be just fine if you leave it in there. What we actually do a lot of times really has nothing to do with whether it needs to be done or not.

31 7,914
 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Glad you like the Cobra. I agree it gives a really good shave. I would always leave the blade in until I needed to change it. A thorough rinse after each use is all it takes.

100 12,445
 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Glad you like it! It's one of my favorites. Great shave, every time.

I leave the blade in, rinse and shake it dry. It's best to handle it as little as possible, as it can be pretty tricky to get it in/out.

9 408
 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM
User Info
(01-13-2013, 04:37 PM)ben74 Wrote: Glad you are enjoying the Cobra, it's truly a fantastic tool. I always remove the blade after each use.

+1 Never have a problem removing and storing the blade. However, you do what you like best.

75 20,883
 01-13-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
Definitely need to put that one on my wish list...what a nice looking razor.

5 938
 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
One of the best razors I've tried, that and the Feather Artist Club razors are responsible for me starting to sell my straights.

I've compared taking out the blade after each shave and leaving it in, as far as getting more shaves out of it? Makes no difference, I get about 15 out of a blade, after 7 shaves I do take it out once and turn it around.

27 1,297
 01-13-2013, 09:36 PM
User Info
Thank you for sharing your initial impression, keep us updated with your progress.

63 2,128
 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
I finally got around to using the Cobra again and am really amazed at how fantastic this razor is! Smooth broad strokes and cuts through the toughest stubble on of my face without breaking a sweat.

A few hours after my shave now and I'm still impressed with the closeness / lack of any irritation. While YMMV, I don't think any other razor I have is this good.

I look forward to using it for several shaves in a row!

191 1,552
 05-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
I have shaved with the Cobra for four shaves now. Thoroughly impressed! I didn't think I would like it as much as I do. Very effective with the feather blade with my course whisker. No pulling. No tugging. It is aggressive, but smooth. Similar to the effectiveness of a slant with a feather blade. The Feather Professional blades really were made for this razor. Perfect pairing. I received a weeper , but it was from my user error not the razor. Its balance is very good and the blade exchange does not bother me in the least. Nor did the finish on the handle causing some problems for grip for a couple of members on here. The cobra is a keeper and will remain in the rotation for good! I can't say enough good things. As close to a straight for closeness as your going to get. You wont be able to stop touching your face when your done!

40 417
 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The Cobra is currently my favorite razor. Biggrin

I leave the blade in until I'm ready for the next one ie usually after 7 shaves. Postshave, a thorough rinse, light shake, and towel dry in the non blade areas.

102 17,670
 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Great razor! It sets a pretty high standard for close and smooth shavers.

29 466
 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
User Info
I had the opposite experience. Loved it at first using both the Feather Professional and another blade.

I still love the design. Awsome looking razor which moves away from the "old style" DE / SE design. It gave good shaves (so easy under the nose) everywhere but my chin. No matter the blade, prep, technique, etc. I just couldn't get my chin smooth.

My Panasonic shaver does the absolute best on my chin and I often touch up with it after using another razor. Too bad the Panasonic is so mediocre on the neck. :/

Bye bye Cobra and back to my iKon "Mjölnir"

0 9
 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I Reacquired a Cobra Classic this week and used it for this morning's shave with a Kai Mild blade. Wow!! I enjoyed a great shave and wonder why I ever sold it.

45 16,352
 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
Phil, wasn't it the inconsistency from the Feather blades that annoyed you? Eventually I'm going to have to try these Kai Mild blades.

Glad you enjoyed the return trip.

31 7,914
 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(06-16-2013, 07:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Phil, wasn't it the inconsistency from the Feather blades that annoyed you? Eventually I'm going to have to try these Kai Mild blades.

Glad you enjoyed the return trip.

You are right Brian...I completely forgot about that. The Kai blade today was great and if they seem consistent, I am going to stock up. My face is still fairly smooth at 9 PM. That is what I call BBS.

45 16,352
 06-17-2013, 03:21 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
NO NO NO...... Now I want one. I will wait for ChristmasSmile

11 861
 06-17-2013, 04:30 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I agree with Phil why did I ever sell mine. I found the Kai mild just as effective as the Feather Pro.

100 12,445
 06-17-2013, 06:41 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
For me the Pro-guards can't be beat.I get 12 shaves out of them each shave is perfect. You might want to try all the available blades for the Cobra before settling on one. The blades certainly do make a difference in the razors performance. I know the individual packs of blades are rather pricey. Perhaps The Cobra owners could set up a blade exchange so we can all try every type blade without having to buy 15 or 20 of each kind of blade.

57 917