03-28-2012, 06:41 AM
User Info
Well I finally got my dad willing to go back to wet shaving!!! He used straights for a long time and he still has them but they are worn down to nothing from sharpening and honing for many many years. He seems to wat to use and adjustable DE because he had an "old Gillette" you could dial in from 1-9 and get "just perfect". I told him about the Futur and he got excited until I told him the price. I then mentioned I could pick up a used on and save some $$ but he is leary of using a used razor. So my question is should I try to find a vintage Gillettte (which does not have the stigma of a used razor for some strange reason) or steer him towards the Futur. As I have no knowledge of adjustables what would I be looking for if I were to look for a classic?

2 87
 03-28-2012, 07:49 AM
User Info
I've never used a Future, but I have used a Gillette Slim adj. . Just clean and sanitize the old razor and it's fine to use. I'm not aware of any plastic parts in the Fatboy or Slim, and I've always boiled them in detergent water to loosen the crud and sanitize the thing. I don't know anything about the (I forget the name- Super Adjustable? - I dunno) black Gillette adjustable, so I'm no help there.

You can get quite affordable Slims even on the 'bay. For some reason Fatboys on e-bay have a magical property associated with them for some reason and they can sell for far more than they are worth IMO. But a Slim shaves just as nicely as a Fatbay, and both shave superbly.

While Slims can be found on e-bay I prefer to buy mine used from folks who know razors, as on the buy/sell forum. Or you can put a WTB post there and ask for one to meet your specs. I've also found pricing "within the community" to be fair.

You've already made the mind leap to a used razor, because you mentioned that you suggested a used Future to bring down the cost. One used razor has no more or no less "used stigma" than another.

One question I have is "Is the Future made of pot metal that is plated?". If so then I'd pass on it. But that's just me. I'd rather have a razor made of plated brass or SS. Again, that's just me. I associate pot metal with cheap junk, no matter how machined it is and how well it's plated.

32 6,301
 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
A Progress is a good choice and not as expensive as a Futur. To me if he wants vintage I would look for a decent Gillette Red Tip. They are heavy duty and as good or better then an adjustable.

98 12,362
 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
Gillette produced multiple adjustable razors. A good overview of the different types can be seen in this article on Bruce Everiss' blog. I have a "Slim" adjustable that gives excellent shaves. Gillette certainly made some good razors back in the day.

Vintage razors are often sold on the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the various wetshaving forums, as ShadowsDad noted. Maybe take a look there? Most Gillette adjustable models were made by the truckload, are far from rare, and can usually be found at a reasonable price. If the seller does not sanitize the razor, then you can do it yourself with Scrubbing Bubbles. Most sellers on the forums will clean up the razor so it will fetch a higher prices. The cleaning process should also disinfect the razor. Or put another way: Vintage razor users are not dropping like flies. There is a reason for that.

0 303
 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
User Info
I have a collection of old and new, and it can be a conundrum. Your dad may find the older Gillette's a bit reminiscent, but the modern razors just feel better to me. I agree with the suggestion of the Progress. It is not as aggressive (to me anyway) as a Futur and it is less expensive as well.

129 6,685
 03-29-2012, 04:36 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
Given that he liked something less than a "9" on his former Gillette, a progress or a vintage would make more sense. The Futur is a great razor, but it is a very aggressive razor.

1 189
 03-29-2012, 05:33 PM
User Info
If you decide to go with a Gillette send me a PM and I will send some pics of some that I have that do not get much attention these days.

29 1,729