01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
User Info
I'm a fan of Razorock soaps. I currently use and enjoy XXX, Fresco, Don Marco and Boston Tea Party. I'm very interested in purchasing their Karite (King Louis and 888) and the S.Maria soaps.

However, I see that all three soaps contain varying amounts of lanolin. I do not know if I am allergic, but I do know than I am unable to tolerate Mitchell's Wool Fat. When I use MWF, before I complete my first lather and a blade touches my skin, I suffer a burning pain that last for hours, sometimes more than a day. I also experience some mild redness than lasts for maybe an hour. Although a lanolin allergy or sensitivity would be the likely culprit, I have used other lanolin products (lip balms, etc.) without problems and I am also very sensitive to some perfumes and fragrances. As MWF does contain a number of additives and fragrances, and I do not experience a lasting rash, it is entirely possible that one or more of the non-lanolin additives cause my irritation.

Accordingly, I thought I'd seek the advice and experiences of anyone who might have a lanolin sensitivity that used (successfully or unsuccessfully) the Razorock Karite or S.Maria soaps or use lanolin products but nevertheless cannot use MWF, before I risk a purchase of these products.

Thanks for your help.

-----Steve

0 386
 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
User Info
Can you buy lanolin by itself?

edit: apparently you can. And it is used for something that I would never have imagined.

You could always just buy some lanolin or get some from someone (apparently useful for mother's with newborns) and see if you have a reaction if you put a little bit on your face.

9 2,988
 01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
I just sold off my puck of MWF because of irritation—not nearly as bad as yours, but still uncomfortable—and I attribute it to the fragrance. I use Mike's Natural Soaps which contain lanolin and have no problems. Not sure if this helps.

2 362
 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Quote:edit: apparently you can. And it is used for something that I would never have imagined.

Hahaha...Lansinoh is pure food grade Lanolin. It comes in a tube and is used for Mothers who breastfeed.

So...to see if it really is the Lanolin you are allergic to head to the baby department at Target and get a tube of Lansinoh. It is Purple.

Pure Lanolin allergies are VERY rare. Most likley it is something in the lanolin or the container that the lanolin is kept in that causes the skin allergy. I had a reaction to MWF very similar to yours and just assumed that I was allergic to Lanolin. When our baby came I was petrified to learn that my wife had been using Lansinoh, until I found out that not only was she putting it on the "baby's food Source" but also on her lips. Well I must not have been allergic to the lanolin afterall, and I finally found out that it was the fragrance oil, not the lanolin that burned my skin.

I get the same reaction from ANY soap that uses fragrance oil of the "Fresh" variety.

Give it a go..but be careful how much Lansioh you actually put on just in case you are actually allergic to it.

PM me for more info if needed.

68 1,417
 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM
User Info
Thanks for the feedback. As the S.Maria is only $10, the lanolin oils to test if I have an allergy are more expensive, and I need to order some of the new Proraso Red in the tub from ItalianBarber.com, I'll just order the S.Maria and hope for the best. Worst case scenario - B/S/T. I will hold-off for now on the more expenisve Karite soaps. Besides, Joe mentioned to me that a Karite lime might appear this year as part of his soon to be releases lime essential oil products.Biggrin

0 386
 01-15-2013, 06:04 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
If you pickup the Lansinoh, just put a bit on your arm. If you get rashy then I'd skip the Santa Maria. Any new cream I get always gets the arm test first since I've had issues with a few of them. If no rash appears on the arm then I will try and shave with it. That method has never failed me.

116 3,804
 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(01-14-2013, 09:05 PM)branford Wrote: Besides, Joe mentioned to me that a Karite lime might appear this year as part of his soon to be releases lime essential oil products.Biggrin

That clatter was my chair falling over as I flipped out in excitement. King Louis is in the running for my favorite soap, and I love citrus scents.

10 1,858
 01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 06:28 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(01-14-2013, 09:05 PM)branford Wrote: Besides, Joe mentioned to me that a Karite lime might appear this year as part of his soon to be releases lime essential oil products.Biggrin

That clatter was my chair falling over as I flipped out in excitement. King Louis is in the running for my favorite soap, and I love citrus scents.

Joe's already confirmed on the board that a lime EO gel, aftershave and wax should be released very soon. He mentioned in a private email exchange that a lime soap similar to King Louis and 888 will likely follow later in the year. Keep your fingers crossed . . .

0 386
 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
User Info
That does sound interesting - King Louis Karite is one of my favorite as well! Right up there with Mike's Hungarian Lavender.

I'm pretty sensitive to fragrances, and haven't had any problem with either of these (both contain lanolin).

(01-15-2013, 06:28 AM)Songwind Wrote:

47 1,114
 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
User Info
interesting thread. lol some funny reading. I love MWF Smile

0 7
 01-19-2013, 05:27 AM
User Info
I love MWF but I think it gives me ingrowns it is dumb.

0 24