01-15-2013, 06:01 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hello Chaps

Does anyone have a definitive guide to boar bristle grading? I have seen references to 90% and 70% tips, but have no idea what this means, really. Anyone?

I do know the faking up of boar to look 'badger' is called 'sketching' and the hairs are treated a little differently, that is, appear to be broken in to some extent, but bristle grading? Perhaps I am looking it the wrong places?

0 1,625
 01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
Well, take a look at this thread, for some insight on that matter. Wink

But there is no definitive guide. Like in badger hair grading, each manufacturer has his own grading system, that can be different from one another.

2 5,532
 01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
User Info
Well, there is a definitive guide to both badger and boar hair, but only hair dealers actually use it. A lot of the differences in badger hair are only manifested during the processing of the hair.

To simplify boar hair, the more the % of tops, the better the grade. 90% is the most you can get unless you tamp the hairs to even out the tips.

Now, why % of tops matters... I'm still working that out myself. But, I can tell you that the way the boar brushes are made, the manufacturer will not tamp down the hairs to even them out like a badger brush. If they did, the knot could fall apart due to not glueing the base of the shortest hairs.

So that said, I'm still not entirely sure how % tops = softer brush.

9 2,988
 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Well, I couldn't have received better replies, thank you. I still don't 100% get it, but I am most of the way there. I don't really understand, say, what "90% tops" really means. Not really.

Shaun

0 1,625
 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't feel bad Shaun, neither do the rest of us. Just use them and enjoy them.

173 23,546
 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Oh I will Smile

0 1,625