01-15-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
Hello dear honored AD sufferers Tongue

I'm trying to figure out how I can get a severe case of RAD, when I limit myself to only new unused razors, and I soon own most if not all the new DE razors I want to own in my collection and don't buy or use used/vintage razors Confused

Any advice from guys in the same position Biggrin

Should I just sit back and enjoy my gear now and stop this crazy AD thing or is there a way out I haven't thought about Cool

May be do like Ben, and buy one of each in different colored handles, but that's really not me, I'd rather own a wide variety of DE razors then, but I feel I'm running out of options.....hmmmm

Well, worse thing has happened - hunger, school shootings, financial crisis and so, but I really need to figure this AD thing out Tongue

22 5,047
 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
Depending upon your finances, you could start collecting NOS vintage razors. I did that for awhile and had a couple dozen unused vintage cased Gillettes, but I finally got tired of just looking at them (since I'm a user at heart rather than just a collector) and sold them off. They've gotten pricier, but I think you can still find NOS sets for around what you'd pay for a new iKon or PILS.

183 12,002
 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
User Info
Even then, unless it is still sealed, you don't really know if it's NOS or just a mint razor that was used once.

I know one member here who was selling NOS Slims still sealed but (as John points out) that's a rarity. And if you plan on "trimming the collection" once you've tried out NOS razors, the resale value will drop dramatically. Just check out the price difference between a NOS razor and a mint/used one.

I think I may have a better option.

Claus, how would you feel about replated razors? In that case, the exterior metal of the razor (e.g. the part that actually touches skin) has been removed and replaced with entirely new metal (usually thicker than the original plating.)

This would give you much more flexibility. You could purchase any razor and get it replated in your metal of choice (chrome, nickel, silver, gold, rhodium.) That would not only open up a world of razors (many of which are better than modern production razors), you could have the collection of your choice, and those replated razors would hold up in resale value should you choose to sell them.

12 1,243
 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
So, you *want* to get RAD? Or you have it and just aren't sure how to satiate it?

You could expand to straights and kamisoris, I guess.

10 1,858
 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
You could try what in psychology is called "transference". From RAD to WAD (Wetstones) or BAD (Blades) or SAD (soaps) Biggrin You have many choises Biggrin Biggrin

0 128
 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 09:27 AM)insomniac Wrote: Even then, unless it is still sealed, you don't really know if it's NOS or just a mint razor that was used once.

I know one member here who was selling NOS Slims still sealed but (as John points out) that's a rarity. And if you plan on "trimming the collection" once you've tried out NOS razors, the resale value will drop dramatically. Just check out the price difference between a NOS razor and a mint/used one.

Claus, how would you feel about replated razors? In that case, the exterior metal of the razor (e.g. the part that actually touches skin) has been removed and replaced with entirely new metal (usually thicker than the original plating.)

This would give you much more flexibility. You could purchase any razor and get it replated in your metal of choice (chrome, nickel, silver, gold, rhodium.) That would not only open up a world of razors (many of which are better than modern production razors), you could have the collection of your choice, and those replated razors would hold up in resale value should you choose to sell them.

This is brilliant as I bet it addresses Cluas' reason for not wanting to use vintage razors while also allowing him to experience some of the best shaving options out there.

Clap Great suggestion Steve! Thumbup

31 7,912
 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 08:49 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hello dear honored AD sufferers Tongue

I'm trying to figure out how I can get a severe case of RAD, when I limit myself to only new unused razors, and I soon own most if not all the new DE razors I want to own in my collection and don't buy or use used/vintage razors Confused

Any advice from guys in the same position Biggrin

Claus, Cadet is how to go, IMHO.

0 554
 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM
User Info
If you want to get a case of RAD, there is plenty of decent and not expensive razors out there - Cadet OCs, Cadet TTO, Feather Popular, Merkur OCs, Merkur Slants, Merkur travel razors, the cheap Racer razor, Wilkinson Classic, the very cheap Yuma razor and many more...

...just because a iKon or an ATT wil sett you back triple digits don't mean you can't fill your drawer with nice, new razors. Or you could start collecting brushes instead... Tongue

3 3,561
 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 09:27 AM)insomniac Wrote: Even then, unless it is still sealed, you don't really know if it's NOS or just a mint razor that was used once.

In addition to this, Claus you could also buy Brass UFO handles (there are many designs) and get them plated at the same time. Modern handle plated to match a vintage head.

129 6,685
 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
User Info
Also, if you truly want RAD, you could end up like me and while loving the Joris head, ending up wanting every Joris handle out there.

129 6,685
 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
User Info
Switch to straight razors. You can look at those horn scales all day long... and then strops and hones. A wonderful time and money sink. The only thing holding me back is my awful technique.

6 808
 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 11:28 AM)wingdo Wrote: In addition to this, Claus you could also buy Brass UFO handles (there are many designs) and get them plated at the same time. Modern handle plated to match a vintage head.

I'm guessing (Claus?) that he'd be more concerned with the head rather than the handle, since the head would come into contact with potentially exposed skin.

Of course he can buy a few different heads (Fatip, Muhle, etc.) and then different handles (UFO, Tradere, also etc.) to have a wide range of experiences with modern razors.

Still, there's nothing quite like shaving with a British Aristocrat, and good luck finding a true NOS one.

12 1,243
 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
User Info
Claus - I would like to complement you for indulging your RAD and doing your part to cure the economic woes that have befallen many countries nowadays.That is truly noble of you! Biggrin

Also, I second the idea of having vintage razors restored. You can buy even an ugly dog on eBay or the like and have it restored to be a real vintage beauty -- for example $50USD to buy and $80USD to restore, and your all-in cost of $130USD is still reasonable compared to mint vintage razors or quality current production razors.

Here is California, my closest resource is http://www.razoremporium.com located in Arizona. They have a service called "razor revamp" that involves a thorough cleaning, mechanical adjustment and replating in your choice of metal, and priced up to $80 USD, depending on the metal selected. They have a good reputation. Takes about 6 weeks plus international delivery time, so patience is a must.

The only European source I know of (there are probably others) is http://www.restoredrazors.com located in Durham, UK. I have not used them but have heard good things about them. Their replacing service involves your choice of metal and runs up to 60 Pounds Sterling, depending on the metal selected. I have no idea on the timing.

Anyhow, two possible choices to explore. I personally find it exciting and awe-inspiring to hold a razor that is 60-70 years old and better than new. Things just aren't built that way anymore.

Enjoy the ride.

15 316
 01-15-2013, 05:18 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 11:20 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: If you want to get a case of RAD, there is plenty of decent and not expensive razors out there - Cadet OCs, Cadet TTO, Feather Popular, Merkur OCs, Merkur Slants, Merkur travel razors, the cheap Racer razor, Wilkinson Classic, the very cheap Yuma razor and many more...

...just because a iKon or an ATT wil sett you back triple digits don't mean you can't fill your drawer with nice, new razors. Or you could start collecting brushes instead... Tongue

I already collect brushes, was at 58 badgers 3 weeks ago, now down to 48 badgers.....
Also creams, was at 68 now down to 44 ......

Thanks for the suggestions, guys Smile

I guess I'm almost done. SBAD, RAD, SCAD

Straights will never e for me because of the stropping.
Own a Japanese straight Feather Artist Club, but still after half a year I get a better shave from using an R41 with proper handle and even a Fusion mounted on a proper handle Biggrin
Not much of a skin stretcher......I guess Blush

I'm done now, my shaving AD's are (almost) over Tongue

22 5,047