01-15-2013, 04:44 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
I am not sure which thread to post this under. With Valentine's day just a month away my wife is already asking me what I want. As a newbie to wet shaving, do any of you have any suggestions of a razor, brush, soap, or wet shaving related items I might ask for? I'm thinking in the $25-$125 range. She has already gotten me The Black Keys tickets for their concert in Nashville.

The razor I have now is a Merkur 23C or 180 (I think they are the same razor). My brush is a pure badger. She got me those for Christmas this past year. I may wait a while before asking for a new brush or razor because I don't want her to think I don't appreciate what she got me, but at the same time I could use some ideas because she may ask since she knows how obsessed I've become about it. The pic below is what she got me for Christmas.

0 36
 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM
User Info
You have some nice hardware there...I would suggest an assortment of software...soaps, creams, aftershave products, etc.

Edit: if you don't already have one, a blade sampler pack is another idea.

5 938
 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
(01-15-2013, 04:48 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: You have some nice hardware there...I would suggest an assortment of software...soaps, creams, aftershave products, etc.

Thanks! I'm proud and grateful for what she got me. My wife did amazing on Christmas gifts this past year. I got a blade sampler pack. Any soaps or creams you might suggest?

0 36
 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
User Info
Mike, no need to offend her, but if i were you, i would ask for a really nice badger brush to see what they are like and then you can start your SBAD. Hee hee. You could also try an adjustable razor such as a Progress (modern) or a Fatboy (vintage). Wow, you sure have a lovely wife and enjoy your present.

75 20,884
 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
User Info
"Honey, I read that brushes should dry for two days before being used again, so I should get another."*

Alternatively get a nice soap, like AOS or MdC.

* This is actually good advice.

12 1,243
 01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 04:57 PM)MikeD Wrote:
(01-15-2013, 04:48 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: You have some nice hardware there...I would suggest an assortment of software...soaps, creams, aftershave products, etc.

Thanks! I'm proud and grateful for what she got me. My wife did amazing on Christmas gifts this past year. I got a blade sampler pack. Any soaps or creams you might suggest?

Your wife did well. If it's not apparent by my avatar...I'm a huge fan of the Italian products Biggrin on top of being quite affordable, they are extremely easy to lather...Proraso (any)cream or soap, Razorock (Classic)/ Fitness, Italian Palmolive...those are some of my favorites. I'm also a big fan of Mike's...it takes a bit to figure out the correct water/ soap ratio, but once you get it dialed in, it creates a nice, rich, slick lather.

You can find the Italian stuff here...
http://www.italianbarber.com/
or here...
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/

Mike's can be found here...
http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/Mikes_N...Soaps.html

5 938
 01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'll the second the Proraso products. You could give both their soap and aftershave a try. Take a look at the RazoRock products as well there all good IMO. Some aftershaves I would suggest would be Speick and La Toja Classic. If your looking for something cheaper and available locally Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer are both good. And Barbasol Pacific Rush and Brisk can be found at most dollar stores for really cheap.

45 3,955
 01-16-2013, 09:21 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Have her go pick out an aftershave that she really likes the scent of. I wouldn't recommend having her buy you any software unless you already have something you know you like, otherwise stick with samples and inexpensive stuff until you find one that you want a full size of. Otherwise you end up with a drawer full of ok products that you skip over for the one(s) you really like.

127 2,395
 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
Proraso creams and croaps are good, but I would suggest asking for a sample of each and every shave soap Mike makes... true, it'll be less than your suggested budget, but that just means you can ask for a bigger present next time around Tongue

3 3,580