01-15-2013, 09:05 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been on a bit of a brush making kick, but using the Omega boar knots TGN sells. Today I made three brushes. Two with TGN Omega boars that measure 22mm/50mm and come set into plastic buckets that are 24mm OD. I've set these knots into vintage handles (Ever-Ready 100T and Stanley Home Products Bakelite) and they turned out fantastically well. Above and beyond my expectations. I liked these boar knots so much that I ordered two more and they kind of sat there waiting for handles. I finally got sick of waiting to happen onto a cool vintage handle and ordered some handles from Larry at Whipped Dog. Larry is a great guy and always provides top notch service. I got my handles in a few days after ordering. I bought three handles as I also have a 20mm TGN Finest badger knot I wanted to make into a brush. So I ordered two 24mm handles for the boars and one 22mm handle for the badger. I like to set badger knots into a handle a few mm larger than the bottom glue puck. This I find provides a very good fit if the knot is set just at the internal glue "ball".

So here is the story in pictures about the birth of my three new brushes.

Boar knots and their handles with epoxy in the background.

The diameter of the holes in WD handles was perfect for the boar knots at 24mm, but the depth was too shallow.

After a bit of grinding with a rotary tool and trimming the end of the black plastic bucket on the knot

Dry fit - looks great!

Getting ready to epoxy - yes, those are lock washers to add weight

All done - looks and feels great. Will not subject them to water for at least 24 hours, though.

Now the finest badger.

Knot and handle

Again, the 22mm hole was perfect diameter, but the depth needed to be increased. After depth adjustment dry fit.

Getting ready to epoxy

Drying in an upright position

All done, but also will not be subjected to water for 24 hours to allow epoxy to set completely.

Hope you enjoyed the process so far. After the epoxy fully sets I will wash and de-funk as needed the brushes and will post pictures of the bloomed out badger and cleaned out boars.

25 1,705
 01-15-2013, 09:22 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Well done, they look great!

91 17,795
 01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 09:05 PM)vferdman Wrote: I have been on a bit of a brush making kick, but using the Omega boar knots TGN sells. Today I made three brushes. Two with TGN Omega boars that measure 22mm/50mm and come set into plastic buckets that are 24mm OD. I've set these knots into vintage handles (Ever-Ready 100T and Stanley Home Products Bakelite) and they turned out fantastically well. Above and beyond my expectations. I liked these boar knots so much that I ordered two more and they kind of sat there waiting for handles. I finally got sick of waiting to happen onto a cool vintage handle and ordered some handles from Larry at Whipped Dog. Larry is a great guy and always provides top notch service. I got my handles in a few days after ordering. I bought three handles as I also have a 20mm TGN Finest badger knot I wanted to make into a brush. So I ordered two 24mm handles for the boars and one 22mm handle for the badger. I like to set badger knots into a handle a few mm larger than the bottom glue puck. This I find provides a very good fit if the knot is set just at the internal glue "ball".

So here is the story in pictures about the birth of my three new brushes.

Boar knots and their handles with epoxy in the background.

The diameter of the holes in WD handles was perfect for the boar knots at 24mm, but the depth was too shallow.

After a bit of grinding with a rotary tool

Dry fit - looks great!

Getting ready to epoxy - yes, those are lock washers to add weight

All done - looks and feels great. Will not subject them to water for at least 24 hours, though.

Now the finest badger.

Knot and handle

Again, the 22mm hole was perfect diameter, but the depth needed to be increased. After depth adjustment dry fit.

Getting ready to epoxy

Drying in an upright position

All done, but also will not be subjected to water for 24 hours to allow epoxy to set completely.

Hope you enjoyed the process so far. After the epoxy fully sets I will wash and de-funk as needed the brushes and will post pictures of the bloomed out badger and cleaned out boars.

The brushes look great. How far did you have to drill down the Whipped Dog 24mm handles in order to fit the 22mm boar knots?

Thanks.

0 386
 01-15-2013, 09:44 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

45 3,955
 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The badger brush looks nice , but the two boar ones...BabeandoBabeandoBabeando Now , I want one...

86 7,123
 01-15-2013, 09:54 PM
User Info
Looks great - and I enjoy watching the procedure too. Almost makes me want to make a brush or two myself Biggrin

3 3,550
 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
User Info
(01-15-2013, 09:49 PM)Teiste Wrote: The badger brush looks nice , but the two boar ones...BabeandoBabeandoBabeando Now , I want one...

Could take apart that Proraso brush you've got. Cool

9 2,988
 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Some people just have 2 right hands Confused

88 4,233
 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-15-2013, 10:04 PM)beartrap Wrote: Some people just have 2 right hands Confused

Well, you need a left hand to make things also. It helps the right hand, especially if you are left-handed (which I am not Smile ).

Thank you everyone for good words. I am very proud of these. I've made a few brushes before and I've been getting pretty good at it, but these, I think are some of the best yet. I have not lathered them yet, but the Omega boars are not a mystery. The knots come pre-set, so there is no surprise how it's going to come out. They come out absolutely amazingly great. The badger I think is a good one too, but the jury has to be out on it.

Branford, I did not measure how much I drilled the 24mm handles, but in one of the pictures you can see the dry fitting and how much does not fit. That's the amount needed to be drilled, but I cheated and cut a little off the knot bucket because there is some empty space there between the glue and the edge of the bucket. So I drilled a little and cut the bucket a little. It's all there in pictorial.

Teiste, if you are serious about wanting one of the boars, PM me. I would be open to a trade on one of them. I already have two brushes with this knot and I love them both, but I may want to trade for one of these WD ones (or one of my other ones that are already broken in) for something in your extensive boar collection.

25 1,705
 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

Very! nicely done, you've end up with three good looking shaving brushes there Thumbsup

Looking forward to seeing post-bloom photos...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Wonderful job Vladimir.

116 3,804
 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM
User Info
Nicely done! Biggrin

0 37
 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Post-bloom pictures here. I shampooed all three brushes several times and then lathered up some Razor Rock Classic. Wow! The boars absolutely chewed that soap up. The badger was no slouch, but we all know that. It's always the boars that are underdogs. Well, these knots are just fantastic. I swear they are pre-broken in as there are many split ends already after this initial use.

25 1,705
 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
User Info
Excellent work on all of those! A+

1 2,827
 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM
User Info
Beautiful work, i am ready to buy......

0 606
 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen, I really appreciate the comments. It's kind of difficult to capture some brushes' beauty because it is in the way it feels and works rather than the looks. These Whipped Dog handles are very good quality and inexpensive, but they are cast resin, not turned and that makes a difference in subtle look and feel. They are fine handles and very hefty, but I think I may want to try and work one with my sander and/or rotary tool to make into something a bit more exciting. Project for another day, I guess. Anyway, these brushes came out fantastically well. The boars are outstanding, but I am disappointed to see that these 22mm/50mm Omega boar knots are no longer available at TGN. Perhaps it's a temporary thing and they'll be back. I hope so. These are some of the best shorter loft boar knots I have tried. They are un-banded, which is great, the tips seem to split almost instantly, so the break in process is fairly quick, at least initial break in where the brush becomes a good lathering tool. After some time it really comes into its own. Super stiff, but soft on the face. Just a perfect boar brush. I must say that in my limited experience with Semogue (1305 and 1470) I like this boar knot better than either of the Semogues I tried.

The badger brush is also extremely good. I shaved with it today and it is really amazing. I think I got the loft perfectly set this time. I have set a few of these bulb knots and I think this one is the best yet. As I mentioned before, the two band badger does take some time to break in unlike the silvertip, which is pretty well done after second shave. I find the two band finest takes a dozen of shaves or so to stop changing and settle into its own. I have a fan shaped knot of the same size and set about the same (a tiny bit lower, actually) and when I first tried that brush I wanted to sell it. Too soft and too dense. But after a few shaves it loosened up and now it's one of my very favorite badgers. The bulb shaped knot behaves very differently during the shave. I like it. Can't wait for it to loosen up some. It is already very soft in tips. Super backbone. Just a gorgeous brush, all in all. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

25 1,705
 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-17-2013, 07:28 AM)vferdman Wrote: The badger brush is also extremely good. I shaved with it today and it is really amazing. I think I got the loft perfectly set this time. I have set a few of these bulb knots and I think this one is the best yet. As I mentioned before, the two band badger does take some time to break in unlike the silvertip, which is pretty well done after second shave. I find the two band finest takes a dozen of shaves or so to stop changing and settle into its own. I have a fan shaped knot of the same size and set about the same (a tiny bit lower, actually) and when I first tried that brush I wanted to sell it. Too soft and too dense. But after a few shaves it loosened up and now it's one of my very favorite badgers. The bulb shaped knot behaves very differently during the shave. I like it. Can't wait for it to loosen up some. It is already very soft in tips. Super backbone. Just a gorgeous brush, all in all. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Hi

The bloom on the 20mm 2-Band Finest looks excellent, nicely done on setting the knot and the "wider" knot hole really makes a (nice) difference -- which I've grown to appreciate and prefer the dynamics it gives a shaving brush.

And I totally agree with you on The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest knots taking a good few uses to reveal how the knot will eventually perform (which I believe is very! good for the money).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-17-2013, 09:23 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi

The bloom on the 20mm 2-Band Finest looks excellent, nicely done on setting the knot and the "wider" knot hole really makes a (nice) difference -- which I've grown to appreciate and prefer the dynamics it gives a shaving brush.

And I totally agree with you on The Golden Nib 2-Band Finest knots taking a good few uses to reveal how the knot will eventually perform (which I believe is very! good for the money).

Take care, Mike

Mike, the 2-band finest from TGN is great stuff. this is something like a fourth or fifth one I am using and they are all amazing. The bulb shaped knots are different from the fans in terms of desired loft, I think. I ended up with slightly longer loft on the bulb one, but just by a hair. I think I got it just about right. The over-sized handle hole is, IMO, essential as the part directly above the glue puck is slightly larger in diameter than the nominal size. My individual knot was 19.5mm at the puck and almost 22mm at the largest part above. I think trying to cram that into a nominal size handle will put undue stress on the outer bristles and may even break them with time. I find getting the next size hole is a wise thing to do. So, my 20mm knot made a 22mm brush. That's fine and good. It really is a 22mm brush for the amount of hair and density and soap it holds.

25 1,705
 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

(01-17-2013, 10:57 AM)vferdman Wrote: Mike, the 2-band finest from TGN is great stuff. this is something like a fourth or fifth one I am using and they are all amazing. The bulb shaped knots are different from the fans in terms of desired loft, I think.

Having recently experienced a TGN 2-Band Finest fan knot for the first time, I would totally agree with you, quite different from the bulb knot they offer in the same hair grade.

(01-17-2013, 10:57 AM)vferdman Wrote: I find getting the next size hole is a wise thing to do. So, my 20mm knot made a 22mm brush. That's fine and good. It really is a 22mm brush for the amount of hair and density and soap it holds.

+1 It's something I've learnt through trial and error, but going 2mm wider (next size up) on the knot hole diameter really is the best way to go (IMHO)...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-17-2013, 11:39 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi

Having recently experienced a TGN 2-Band Finest fan knot for the first time, I would totally agree with you, quite different from the bulb knot they offer in the same hair grade.

Mike, what a gorgeous brush you made there! Just stunning! Great work! Yes, the fan shaped knots act very differen in shaving too. Both are very good, but the fan shaped are more area at a time. Bulb is almost like a ball point pen (can be if you are light on the touch with it). I really like the looks of fan because the white tips are limited just the top of the brush and the rest of the knot looks black creating beautiful contrast. The bulb shaped two band that TGN sells is designed like a light bulb and has white tips spanning the whole area of the bulb. Still looks great, but a different look for sure. I will take pictures of my two finest knotted brushes side by side and post it. Should be interesting as they are exactly the same knot size and set into the same size holes and at about the same loft, fan one being perhaps 1mm lower.

25 1,705