03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I brought along a stick of DR Harris Arlington for my week of vacation and have been really enjoying it. My technique using shave sticks is kind of a hybrid. I wet the stick and rub it on my beard. Then, I hold the stick, wrapping my hand around it so the soap sits just above my index finger and thumb and load my brush directly on the stick. I take the loaded brush to my face and go to town, adding a bit of water in the process. I find this generates a sufficient amount of lather for a 3 pass shave.

How do you use your shave sticks?

43 1,690
 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Different ways to use a shavestick :

=

86 7,123
 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM
User Info
Teiste just showed about every conceivable alternative way of using a shave stick.

31 7,912
 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
User Info
I wet my face/whiskers and using the whiskers like a rasp, load the face ATG. Then I just face lather as normal. I never had any problem with a shortage of lather. But frankly while at first I really liked sticks, I find they make a mess and require me to clean my fingers and hands before pressing on with the shave so...

My favorite way now is by milling the stick into a Ziploc XS size lidded bowl from the supermarket. They aren't pretty, but they sure do work great, and they're inexpensive, and it keeps glass out of the bathroom. I press the shredded stick into a puck inside the bowl and use it as I would any soap puck.

32 6,308
 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Here's my video on the subject.

BTW: Teiste, I really enjoy your videos! Keep up the good work.

1 73
 03-28-2012, 01:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 12:30 PM)MrGuy Wrote: Here's my video on the subject.

Thank you,my friend : you have OUTSTANDING videos too!ClapClap

I like your technique also.To use a shaving stick its really easy and pretty effective.

86 7,123
 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
I only use sticks when I travel, but I just wet my face, moisten the top of the stick and rub it over my whiskers. I have a very thick, coarse beard, so that's all I've usually needed, really. If I want a fourth pass I'll sometimes rub the stick on my face for a bit more soap and lather it up, but I rarely bother with a 4 pass bbs when travelling.

1 189
 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
I've been on a shave stick kick lately and mostly simply rub the soap stick directly on to my whiskers after a shower. As an experiment last year I grated two Palmolive sticks into an old MamaBear's container and charge my brush directly from the homemade puck.

For me there's no advantage to grating the stick into the bowl. I'm able to load more than enough soap into my whiskers for a good 3 passes with some left over in the brush for touch-ups if needed.

3 452
 03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I mill them into bowls. Rolleyes Sorry, Guys....

35 2,703
 03-30-2012, 05:08 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(03-29-2012, 08:40 PM)redrako Wrote: As an experiment last year I grated two Palmolive sticks into an old MamaBear's container and charge my brush directly from the homemade puck.

Hmmmm.... you gave me an idea, Robert (runs off to eBay) Wink
(03-30-2012, 05:08 AM)Leon Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 08:40 PM)redrako Wrote: As an experiment last year I grated two Palmolive sticks into an old MamaBear's container and charge my brush directly from the homemade puck.

Hmmmm.... you gave me an idea, Robert (runs off to eBay) Wink

OK, I'm back, I just bought a 3 pack of Palmolive sticks from the UK for 2 pounds plus 2.75 shipping.
For 5 Euros and some change, I'll get a massive Palmolive tallow goodness bowl.

Oh yeah!Biggrin

4 313
 03-30-2012, 05:28 AM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 09:56 PM)texbilly Wrote: I mill them into bowls. Rolleyes Sorry, Guys....

me too BiggrinBlush

[Image: P1030903.jpg]

[Image: P1050453.jpg]

2 5,527
 03-30-2012, 05:31 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have just rubbed them on my face for the most part. I do find that I can get enough on my face rubbing WTG that I don't need to focus on ATG. Which is good, otherwise I have to time my use of sticks to coincide with my skipped days or perfect shaves, at least w/ the Palmolive. Arko is soft enough that it doesn't seem to hurt as much rubbing it ATG with a little irritation.

10 1,858
 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM
User Info
I only use shave sticks when I travel these days and that's a shame. I need a "Shave Stick Saturday" or something to remind me to use those gems like Irisch Moos that aren't in puck form. I've never had a lot of luck grating sticking into pucks, but maybe I should give it another shot. Palmolive especially, that's a clean scent!

0 221
 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 09:56 PM)texbilly Wrote: I mill them into bowls. Rolleyes Sorry, Guys....

Me too. I can't stand using them as designed. But Speick and Palmolive soaps are so good they're worth the effort of milling them into a bowl.

0 24
 04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
(03-28-2012, 12:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I wet my face/whiskers and using the whiskers like a rasp, load the face ATG. Then I just face lather as normal. I never had any problem with a shortage of lather. But frankly while at first I really liked sticks, I find they make a mess and require me to clean my fingers and hands before pressing on with the shave so...

My favorite way now is by milling the stick into a Ziploc XS size lidded bowl from the supermarket. They aren't pretty, but they sure do work great, and they're inexpensive, and it keeps glass out of the bathroom. I press the shredded stick into a puck inside the bowl and use it as I would any soap puck.

I tried to edit this post so as not to bump it to the top, but it wouldn't let me do that. So I need to quote it and press on.

As of today I no longer have any sticks. All have been milled into ziploc xs size lidded bowls and compressed into pucks.

If you do this I find 2 sticks makes a pretty decent amount in the specified bowl, maybe 3/4" deep, approximately 2 cm for those using the metric system. 3 sticks could easily fit in a bowl and probably 4 wouldn't be a stretch. I compress the shreds pretty significantly, then add a tiny amount of water and that allows them to compress further and coalesce into a puck. Then I allow it to sit and firm up. BTW, when I write small amount of water I mean maybe a teaspoon- no more than that. That small amount has a huge difference to the soap.

To load the brush just use as you would any puck.

32 6,308
 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM
User Info
Dang, Andy sure rips through the shave in his video. I'm still slow as hell, especially with my SE razors.

- Mark

0 48
 04-14-2012, 09:15 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(04-14-2012, 08:19 PM)markewallace Wrote: Dang, Andy sure rips through the shave in his video. I'm still slow as hell, especially with my SE razors.

- Mark

Ya, a "normal" everyday shave is much slower. I found very early into experimenting with videos that it's quite boring to watch me shave, so I started going faster. I still get a great shave at either speed, but a normal speed shave is much more relaxing. For a regular shave, even if I'm running late I'll generally skip a pass instead of shaving faster.

1 73
 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
(03-28-2012, 12:30 PM)MrGuy Wrote: Here's my video on the subject.

Nice video and nice points made. Agree with you that a less dense brush makes using a shave stick much more enjoyable.

2 697
 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Thanks, DanSmile
I think the brush thing is related to how some guys have problems getting enough soap off the stick. With a puck, it's easy to just load longer. From the stick to your face, there seems to be a point where the soap just seems to stop loading. Too dense of a brush will definitely have problems with not enough soap. Of course, like all my theories, I could be wrong.

1 73
 04-15-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
I grate an Arko shave stick into a ramekin, load the brush heavy from the puck, and then face lather.

0 1,377