01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
User Info
Hi, has anyone tried Al's shaving creams? http://www.alsshaving.com/ (pros, cons, performance, scent)

10 605
 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
User Info
I was given a sample of his stuff - I think the Saigon scent. It was a pretty good performer, and a very nice scent (though it was kind of strong, which I prefer.) I think it is worth a try; there's a sampler pack that is reasonably priced.

I liked his balms too. Very soothing.

12 1,243
 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have the Goodfella's cream and it's is an excellent performer.

It explodes with lather very quickly and it's very easy to make a Greek yogurt like, thick, slick and protective ultralather. Only a small amount is needed to create that great lather.
I love the Goodfella's scent as well but don't have any clue about any of the other scents.

I highly recommend it if you like a good shave cream alternative.

Eric

6 905
 01-17-2013, 10:00 PM
User Info
(01-17-2013, 02:27 PM)EHV Wrote: I have the Goodfella's cream and it's is an excellent performer.

It explodes with lather very quickly and it's very easy to make a Greek yogurt like, thick, slick and protective ultralather. Only a small amount is needed to create that great lather.
I love the Goodfella's scent as well but don't have any clue about any of the other scents.

Eric

Actually the goodfella scent was the one that caught my eye. In the description of the scent Al says that it is reminiscent of a barbershop, is it close?

10 605
 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
It is a "barbershop" type scent but more citrus than something like Clubman A/S or Rive Gauche EdT which a lot of people consider barbershop scents. It's different than Mike's Soaps Barbershop scent too.

I definitely think it falls into the barbershop realm but I'd call it an interpretation on a barbershop scent theme if I were pinned down. Biggrin
It is an addictive scent and fairly strong out of the tub and while lathering. It lingers for a short while after the shave but does not interfere with a different aftershave or cologne/EdT at all.

I hope that helps!
Eric

(01-17-2013, 10:00 PM)HoracioAR Wrote:
(01-17-2013, 02:27 PM)EHV Wrote: I have the Goodfella's cream and it's is an excellent performer.

Eric

Actually the goodfella scent was the one that caught my eye. In the description of the scent Al says that it is reminiscent of a barbershop, is it close?

6 905
 01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
User Info
Well, sounds great, I will give it a go once I had finished trying everything I bought last year. Thanks for your help!

10 605
 07-23-2013, 02:10 AM
User Info
I've noticed Al's Shaving Cream after reading Mantic's interview and i'm interested in trying the Calypso.

As anyone ever tried?

13 1,313
 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I got the sample pack - he calls it the 7-day sampler, but read on another forum where someone got around 20-shaves from each sample container, so he should change the name to the 105-day sampler...

I LOVE Jubilee, Goodfellas, Saigon and Bodega, but the others seem too earthy for me. They all perform incredibly well, but I needed a balm after I used them. It's no surprise, tho, he says right up front that shaving with his soaps are a three step process with Shave oil, Shave Cream, and after shave balm, so I was ready for it.

The cream provides a slick lather and really helps the razor stay in contact with the skin...I was very pleasently surprised at how well it worked and how little I used. the other thing he nailed is scent composition. I would not purchase those other scents(didn't care for them), but I would definately used the creams all up scent notwithstanding! They are great performers and should be on everyone's "try" list!

Great product!

68 1,416
 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
Definitely worth trying out Al's sampler. I am in the minority and don't like Goodfellas all that much, but it is quite popular. Some of his more unique scents to definitely prioritize are:

Saigon - herb-heavy, very unique with what smells like lemongrass as the primary note
Bodega - formerly Casablanca scent of the month, a nice mix of grapefruit, orange and woodsy notes (cedar maybe?)
Piemonte - Al's fougere style scent, I love it quite a bit, apparently draws favorable comparisons to Pen's EF
31 - crazy unique, I have never smelled anything like it, lots of fresh, ozone notes which I can't even begin to describe

A nice thing about these creams is both the longevity (barely need to use any product for great lather) as well as the "essential oil only" thing Al does. I have rather sensitive skin and have yet to come across any skin issues with his creams.

14 229
 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM
  • evnpar
  • Super Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Al's creams are some of the best available. They literally explode into a rich, slick lather. His scents are very complex. Al gives great customer service, and will quickly answer any question you may have. He'll also make your own custom cream.

34 4,536