01-17-2013, 11:34 AM
User Info
The specs as my eye and ruler see them: Knot: 19mm, loft: 48mm.

I bought the one with the matte anodized aluminum tube, there is at least one other color. It comes in a soft plastic box.

[Image: DSC03870-2.jpg]

From the outside all you see is the tube, and few hairs sticking out of the end of the tube in the center of the end cap. Note the directions on the box. The pictures tell the story of how it goes together. Unscrew the end cap from the tube, upend the tube and give it a shake or 2 to have it come out. Screw the end cap back on, and screw the brush into the endcap.

[Image: DSC03872-1.jpg]

[Image: DSC03871.jpg]

I felt the softness of the brush dry. It feels fantastic; like a high quality badger. It's soft yet with plenty of backbone, actually more backbone than any badger I've ever used. Understand this brush has less loft than the standard 19mm Silvertip fibers brush that could be the reason for the heightened backbone. I brought out my highest quality Badger brush (Rooney 3/1 SuperSilvertip) and compared the 2 brushes. The Muhle is softer. I handed both brushes to my wife to compare them. With no hesitation on her part she picked the Muhle.

OK, the directions say to wash the brush and I could think of no better way than a test lather in my hand. The brush does an excellent job of picking up water. A few shakes and it was into the tub of VDH. I loaded the brush less than I normally do for a shave. In no time at all I had plenty of lather if I had wanted to shave. The quality if the lather was like satin. The brush has plenty of backbone almost as much and maybe even more than a boar. There is no scritch, but it seems as though the brush is soft, and then almost abruptly there's the backbone. It's not bad, it's just different. I don't think folks who mash the brush into their face as they face lather will doing that with this brush. It might make a good training brush for face lathering. Sorry, I have no idea if the other silvertip fiber brushes exhibet this same quality.

Compared to the most recent TGN 22mm Synthetic knot, this is more like a badger in some respects. The TGN is cloud soft because of the flagged tips and this is just shy of that. The Muhle has more backbone than the TGN. The Muhle dries rapidly, the TGN not so rapidly it's more like a badger there. The Muhle is a very nice brush, very nice indeed. It's a travel brush but is nice enough and performs well enough to be an everyday face lathering brush for me. IMO it's a perfect size for face lathering, and that will happen tomorrow. If there are any surprises when I use it on my face I'll post here. Yet the long handle would probably make it a decent bowl latherer, but I won't test that since I don't bowl lather.

But it's a travel brush so this wouldn't be complete without comparing it to some other travel brushes.

Here it is stowed away in front of the Rx pill bottles that the
(left to right) Omega 10047 Mighty Midget resides in, the 11047 itself, the Wee Scot, the Muhle and the Omega 599.

[Image: DSC03874.jpg]

Stowed away it's the smallest of the bunch, and the best looking. Of course no one would travel with the Wee Scot not in a tube (I would hope not anyway!), and the Muhle can be seen as being just a hair larger than the Wee Scot.

OK, do I like the brush so far? Absolutely. I don't know if the other travel brushes seen here will be sold (I doubt it), but when I travel I know the Muhle will be going with me. Assuming tomorrows face lather goes OK. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Oh, one last observation... The instructions on the plastic box it came in, it has instructions that the brush can be hurt if it's put away wet. I suspect they are using the same boxes their natural fiber brushes use for shipping and display.

32 6,301
 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review!

I have a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush on the way - not the travel version but the Kosmo model. Looking forward to trying it out, and having a nice travel brush that will dry quickly.

12 1,237
 01-17-2013, 11:59 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

Very nice review of a good looking (travel) shaving brush, and I look forward to hearing how it performs for you tomorrow...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Excellent review and very complete! I'm looking forward to your impressions using it tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to do this and include the great pictures for comparison. Really helped.

14 870
 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Thanks for itSmile

11 861
 01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
User Info
Jack when yours arrives I think you'll like it.

FWIW, Jack turned me on to the brush. I wanted a shorter loft Silvertip fibers brush and was going buy a knot and make my own, but the travel brush just made so much sense when I saw it.

32 6,301
 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Brian!

74 20,795
 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
Storing enclosed while damp is for any brush, including your toothbrush. It is to prevent mold and mildew. It can discolor the bristles and become a source for infection.

2 694
 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
You got an excellent brush to travel with.Actually , I think theyre the best to travel with (the Muhlse synthetic fibres , I mean).

86 7,123
 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
User Info
Teiste, I think that's really where they are going to be at their best, although I'm quite happy with them at my own sink for now. They are their own fiber. Neither boar or badger, but with good qualities from them all, and some all their own. Now I need to figure out a way to label the ones I assmebled as synthetic. The other night I was wondering "What's this brush?" and couldn't tell where the unidentified badger brush had come from.

Well, I lathered with the travel brush this morning. I had problems with the long handle... Shazamm! I suddenly realized I don't like long handles a minute into using this one. But no problem, just unscrew it, keeping the collar on the knot portion and set the transport tube to the side and almost instantly I had a handle I could use. The handle would be great for bowl lathering IMO, but bear in mind I don't bowl lather.

The brush held no surprises (othet than the handle). Great latherer, soft, then backbone. Interesting. Yes, IMO it would make a good training brush for face latherers who mash their brush. A badger it isn't, it's different, but in good ways I think.

I have no intention to part with it. Nor do I have intentions to part with my natural fiber travel brushes.

Yesterday I assembled a gen 3 24mm TGN Synthetic knot into a handle and test lathered it tonight, also to wash it. This brush is beginning to verge on the too big size for me. I built it to be a head lathering brush, and until I resume that, after it dries it'll go into storage. No fault of the knot, I bought what I bought and I wanted a larger brush. The knot itself has the same gel like tips the 22mm has. It's just superb. But it is too large for a face lather brush for me.

32 6,301