01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
Hey everyone,

I'm a soapmaker and have finally perfected my shaving soap formula. I'm very excited! And I want to create a really excellent bay rum fragrance to use (and eventually sell), but I know it's a very divisive issue. So I'm looking for suggestions! What do you like in your bay rum? What do you hate? What have you encountered in many bay rums that's alright but could be better? I know that Krampfert's Finest and Captain's Choice are both much loved here and elsewhere, and I've already decided to eliminate cloves from my soap.

Thanks in advance!

5 407
 01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
User Info
All I can say is that I think Captain's Choice is the best Bay Rum fragrance I've tried. I wish you well with your soap.

37 2,975
 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
if BR has clove, I like it on the very light side so's not to overpower the more subtle stuff like the WI Bay and Sweet Orange oils. I prefer BR that omits the clove altogether. +1 on the CC, haven't tried KFBR yet. will stay tuned for a soap review. Good Luck !

0 1,291
 01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 04:07 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: if BR has clove, I like it on the very light side so's not to overpower the more subtle stuff like the WI Bay and Sweet Orange oils. I prefer BR that omits the clove altogether. +1 on the CC, haven't tried KFBR yet. will stay tuned for a soap review. Good Luck !

Sounds like I'm on the right track, then. I'm omitting clove entirely and taking it very VERY easy on the cinnamon. The entire fragrance will consist of West Indian Bay oil, boiled-down rum (a suggestion from the fine folks of Reddit), sweet orange oil, allspice, benzoin (which has a warm, vanilla-like quality), and a hint of cinnamon.

Thanks for the input!

5 407