03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230904.jpg]

After reading so much about these new brushes,I decided finally to get one of them,and got the medium one,with a knot of 21mm and a loft of 55mm.

I discovered this brushes thanks to a person (eTom) who posted a thread about them in foroafeitado.com over a year ago,when the new syhnthetic hair replaced the old one,and since then,I have been reading and reading so many good and great reviews of this silvertip fibres,that it was time to try one,specially after "re discovering" the qualities of synthetic shaving brushes,like the Frank Shaving one.

The brush arrived this morning,with a nice presentation,on a cylindrical carboard box,like some of the Edwin Jagger ones and the fist I thought once I took the brush out of it was : -"Oh no,they have sent me a regular silvertip brush",until I read "silvertip fibres" on the brush handle and the small label which basically tell you about the goodness of silvertip synthetic fibres,as you can read :

[Image: P1230908.jpg]

I have touch and touch again this new synthetic hair and I have to be honest,Ill have a problem trying to recognize this brush among other silvertip natural hair shaving brushes.When I did read,on a vendors page,that he would have serious problems trying to recognize this brush with regular badger hair brushes,I thought that I was just an exaggeration,but If I get blindfolded,I think that I would have the same problem.This new synthetic brush its really different than the one use in the Frank Shaving or The Body Shop brushes.

Here is a pic with the Frank Shaving synthetic brush.Just notice how the Muhle hair looks more natural when its compare to the synthetic hair used by the Frank Shaving :

[Image: P1230917.jpg]

And here is a picture from the top,where you can see more differences even : the Muhle has a more natural look while the Frank Shaving looks more "industrial" or not as "real",as the Muhle does :

[Image: P1230918.jpg]

In fact is in the tips where this new Muhle synthetic hair makes some of the differences with the synthetic fibres used by other brands.I dont know what they have done or how they have done it,but the Muhle hair looks really similar to the natural badger hair,and yes,you can noticed some differences,but not as many as I thought I was gonna find.

[Image: P1230907.jpg]

If somebody would have told me : - "Hey,Im sending you a shaving brush with badger widow hair from the East of Surinam" I would have believed that this is real badger hair,but of another rare and hard to find , kind/type...

[Image: P1230905.jpg]

Its handle also its one of the good things of this brush,really well made and finished,sturdy and easy to hold while shaving.Another point for Muhle in this regard!

[Image: P1230913.jpg]

And,of course,I have been testing this brush since this morning,with 7 different test of building lather,with shaving soaps and shaving creams,on scuttles and on the palm of my hand,to finally use it on my shave,facelatheting with circular movements.

This brush its really similiar in performance to other with natural hair.It reminds me of a Semogue 830 boar brush in softness of tips (the people who have a Semogue 830 knows how super soft are its tips once the brush have been break in),with a good backbone and so easy to make lather with,however this brush is NOT a lather hog like the Semogue 830 is.I will say it again, is NOT a lather hog.This is another great advantage of the synthetic shaving brushes,that the brush dont "suck" water,or either the lather without releasing it later,as we suffer that with so many badger and boar brushes.
This brush also has a higher water retention,not as natural silvertip badger,but closer to a boar badger,which I find it an advantage,since I dont like runny lather due to the excess of water retained on the brush.

And when its time to make lather with this brush,you realize than you dont need a ton of a product (shaving cream or soap) like with the natural bristle brushes,but less quantity : however,the brush its capable of making tons of lather,as I have seen it today.

Here are some pics using the Spencer and Devon shaving cream (yes,Its so difficult to make lather with it...Laughing1Laughing1) .Noticed how little quantity of cream is located on the tips of the brush :

[Image: P1230909.jpg]

And this is the quantity of lather after 50 seconds making lather on the palm on my hand (yes,its IMPOSSIBLE to make lather with this terrible cream!! TongueW00tWinky ):

[Image: P1230911.jpg]

And the lather made with this brush is always thick,dense,with no air bubbles and really slick,something that with the natural bristle brushes its not always that way,or you have to build up the lather for over a minute and a half.
The combination of thick synthetic bristles,medium hair density and that the bristles dont suck water either cream/soap,makes the lathering process really,really easy,since the lather comes out pretty quick,dense and thick,as I said before,ready to be used.And as I said,in less time than using natural badger or boar hair.

Here is a pic of the brush after I finished making lather with it on my face with the Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap.Noticed how thick and dense the lather is.It took me 35 seconds to built up this lather on my face...

[Image: P1230912.jpg]

And how does it behaves when facelathering with it?Well,my friends,this brush behaves like a natural super badger or silvertip badger brush.Yes,you have read right : it behaves like a natural top of the line hair,shaving brush.It doesnt have a extra firm backbone like the two band badger hair,but its backbone its there,kind of firm,with flow,something that makes facelathering with circular movements really easy.
It doesnt have a blooming like the natural badger hair,but it has a small one once its wet,enough for the middle bristles to "open" and make facelathering to be the same experience as if you were using a real hair badger brush,since you dont have to "push" hard the bristles against the face,like with the Frank Shaving or Body Shop brushes.

Its tips are super soft,maybe not as soft and luxurious like a Vie Long silvertip or a KIM SON VU horn handle silvertip brushes,but the softness its there,and it can be felt.The "texture" of the tips make me wonder if they are real badger hair or not,since they are so close to how some badger hair brushes feel when you pass you hand over the tips.

As I wrote before,if somebody would have told me that this is a hair from a rare breed of badger hair I would have believed it....

Something that I also LOVE from the synthetic brushes its that it doesnt take much longer than 10 minutes for the bristles to completely dry out.Even when this brush holds a good quantity of water,once you shake it well to gt rid of the water excess,only takes 5 minutes to be dry,maybe 10 at the latest.Thats something that people that travel a lot appreciate it.

Also the synthetic bristles dont "suffer" as much if we give them a rough treatment,but I dont recommend that either.

Here is a pic of the brush after my shave and all the lather test.It looks like when it was brand new on the box,basically :

[Image: P1230916.jpg]

I am really impress with this shaving brush.I know that there are other people really impress too with this new silvertip fibres.Maybe the future is already here (talking about shaving brushes).
Could this brush substitute a real badger hair brush? Heck,yeah!!!,I did check it today,yes,it could be a substitute and maybe you wont even miss your old badger hair shaving brush!
Is this brush the best of the market?The best brush of the market is the one which offers you what you are looking for, regardless of the price or hair used,but this brush has a lot of qualities :

-Its not a lather hog,either sucks water or soap/cream,so the lather its build really quick,with almost no effort,and the lather quality is what many people like ,dense and thick,instead of runny or full of bubbles due to excess of water on the bristles like with natural hair brushes.

-It take less than 10 minutes to be fully dry out.

-You don't need to much cream or soap to make tons of lather with it.

-It behaves like a natural super badger or silvertip badger brush,with soft tips,good backbones and nice flow.With circular movements can be used with any problems,making no difference with natural badger hair.

Well,it seems than the future is already here.Well done for Muhle!!!

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
As usual Teiste another great review. Thank you so much.

100 12,449
 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Excellent review mate.

Very interesting read. Smile

32 638
 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Teiste, do you think there'd be much difference between the 21 mm knot and the 23mm knot? Being a Vegetarian, I'd love to find a brush that works as well as my boars and badgers (in fact, I'd love to find two of them) I've yet to find a good synthetic knot (and I've tried most all of them). I was going to order a FS synthetic, but if the Muhle is that much better, I'll save my pennies and get one of these

116 3,804
 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 02:26 PM)slantman Wrote: As usual Teiste another great review. Thank you so much.

(03-28-2012, 02:34 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Excellent review mate.

Very interesting read. Smile

You are both welcome!

(03-28-2012, 02:35 PM)itsmedave Wrote: Teiste, do you think there'd be much difference between the 21 mm knot and the 23mm knot? Being a Vegetarian, I'd love to find a brush that works as well as my boars and badgers (in fact, I'd love to find two of them) I've yet to find a good synthetic knot (and I've tried most all of them). I was going to order a FS synthetic, but if the Muhle is that much better, I'll save my pennies and get one of these

I know w aguy in Spain who have been trying the 21mm and the 23mm and he chooses the 21 mm.He says that the tips on the 21mm models are softer than the 23mm.He also makes lather on a bowl.

There are differences between the Muhle and the FS : the Muhle behaves like a badger brush while the FS you know that you are using a synthetic brush.I also love the Muhle flow.The FS cost 15 bucks,inclusing shipping,so it wont hurt as much to get one.The Muhle are much more expensive,yes,but their quality its outstanding,both in the hair and the handle.

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I can't believe how similar that looks to badger.

0 353
 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(03-28-2012, 02:40 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 02:35 PM)itsmedave Wrote: Teiste, do you think there'd be much difference between the 21 mm knot and the 23mm knot? Being a Vegetarian, I'd love to find a brush that works as well as my boars and badgers (in fact, I'd love to find two of them) I've yet to find a good synthetic knot (and I've tried most all of them). I was going to order a FS synthetic, but if the Muhle is that much better, I'll save my pennies and get one of these

I know w aguy in Spain who have been trying the 21mm and the 23mm and he chooses the 21 mm.He says that the tips on the 21mm models are softer than the 23mm.He also makes lather on a bowl.

There are differences between the Muhle and the FS : the Muhle behaves like a badger brush while the FS you know that you are using a synthetic brush.I also love the Muhle flow.The FS cost 15 bucks,inclusing shipping,so it wont hurt as much to get one.The Muhle are much more expensive,yes,but their quality its outstanding,both in the hair and the handle.

So essentially, if this dries as quickly as you say it does, I could drop down to one brush? It could be used daily with no problems?

116 3,804
 03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 02:47 PM)Brent Wrote: I can't believe how similar that looks to badger.

Yeah,thats what I though when I took it out of the box...I was,there must be a confusion here,this is badger not synthetic...Facepalm

(03-28-2012, 02:49 PM)itsmedave Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 02:40 PM)Teiste Wrote:

So essentially, if this dries as quickly as you say it does, I could drop down to one brush? It could be used daily with no problems?
Let me use it more,but I would say yes,if I follow what my friend have told me about these brushes.

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Thanks Teiste. I think I'll order one soon enough.

116 3,804
 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
User Info
Teiste, excellent review. I have been looking at the Muhle line myself and was in a discussion recently about how they could form the fibers to look more like real hair. Well, one possible way is a hot curling rod similar to use on human hair. You would curl the fiber around some rods in the final process and heat those rods quickly and release. The fiber would make a slight but permanent curve and with the pattern of fibers in the knot could cause a slight shift where each fiber bends. Do this enough times and it should make for a badger look alike.
I also think that this Muhle is the second step in the new generation of synthetic brushes where as the Franks Shaving Brush and other similar brushes represent the first step.

The old straight nylon brushes which were the original generation, may soon be relegated to cheap throw away travel brushes.

1 2,827
 03-28-2012, 03:26 PM
User Info
I have been using one of those since Phil posted about them on the old forum. It has become my daily driver. Lathers anything and is trouble free and low maintainance

2 697
 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 03:14 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Teiste, excellent review. I have been looking at the Muhle line myself and was in a discussion recently about how they could form the fibers to look more like real hair. Well, one possible way is a hot curling rod similar to use on human hair. You would curl the fiber around some rods in the final process and heat those rods quickly and release. The fiber would make a slight but permanent curve and with the pattern of fibers in the knot could cause a slight shift where each fiber bends. Do this enough times and it should make for a badger look alike.
I also think that this Muhle is the second step in the new generation of synthetic brushes where as the Franks Shaving Brush and other similar brushes represent the first step.

The old straight nylon brushes which were the original generation, may soon be relegated to cheap throw away travel brushes.

Interesting information,my friend.
The second step you thin?I guess that the third step would be to look and feel exactly like badger,but I think that they already got to that step,dont know what are your thought about it.

(03-28-2012, 03:26 PM)SteelTown Wrote: I have been using one of those since Phil posted about them on the old forum. It has become my daily driver. Lathers anything and is trouble free and low maintainance

Which one do you have and how do you like it?Do you face or bowl lather?

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I buckled

I sold a brush and a razor and ordered one of these from The Enabler along with some Pre De Provence. If all goes well, there might be quite a few badgers and boars for sale this weekend so I can order the 23mm knot from Phil. I ordered the black handled one so it will match my Muhle R101.

116 3,804
 03-28-2012, 05:28 PM
User Info
(03-28-2012, 05:20 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 03:14 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Teiste, excellent review. I have been looking at the Muhle line myself and was in a discussion recently about how they could form the fibers to look more like real hair. Well, one possible way is a hot curling rod similar to use on human hair. You would curl the fiber around some rods in the final process and heat those rods quickly and release. The fiber would make a slight but permanent curve and with the pattern of fibers in the knot could cause a slight shift where each fiber bends. Do this enough times and it should make for a badger look alike.

The second step you thin?I guess that the third step would be to look and feel exactly like badger,but I think that they already got to that step,dont know what are your thought about it.

There may be something even more interesting in the future, because you have more than just badger in the natural hair realm.

1 2,827
 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 05:20 PM)itsmedave Wrote: I buckled

I sold a brush and a razor and ordered one of these from The Enabler along with some Pre De Provence. If all goes well, there might be quite a few badgers and boars for sale this weekend so I can order the 23mm knot from Phil. I ordered the black handled one so it will match my Muhle R101.
Well,time to enjoy it,my friend.Le t us know what you think of it when you try it.
(03-28-2012, 05:28 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 05:20 PM)Teiste Wrote:

There may be something even more interesting in the future, because you have more than just badger in the natural hair realm.
Yes,you are right...sometimes I could wrongly think that "badger is best" and no,it could be something even better out there to make lather with.To me,this Muhle could be better than badger.

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM
User Info
(03-28-2012, 05:20 PM)Teiste Wrote: Which one do you have and how do you like it?Do you face or bowl lather?

I have two. 21mm Bog Oak Kosmo and 23mm Ivory handle. I face lather 100% and prefer the smaller, heavier Kosmo

2 697
 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-28-2012, 05:35 PM)SteelTown Wrote:
(03-28-2012, 05:20 PM)Teiste Wrote: Which one do you have and how do you like it?Do you face or bowl lather?

I have two. 21mm Bog Oak Kosmo and 23mm Ivory handle. I face lather 100% and prefer the smaller, heavier Kosmo

Do you feel that the 21mm has softer tips than the 23mm one?

86 7,124
 03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
User Info
(03-28-2012, 05:37 PM)Teiste Wrote: Do you feel that the 21mm has softer tips than the 23mm one?

Somewhat. I would have to pull it out again and test it. I just preferred the balance of the Kosmo from the get go. It is similar in size and balance to a Colonel. I would love to see this knot in a Simpson Tulip or Harvard handle

I am really looking forward to what Muhle does with this line. I know that they can't increase density at this point due to technology, but are working on it.

I think more people would like it, but due to bias or past experience with synthetics, pass it by.

2 697
 03-29-2012, 02:20 AM
User Info
Really love this handle. May be sooner rather than later its time will come.

0 107
 03-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-29-2012, 02:20 AM)robertol Wrote: Really love this handle. May be sooner rather than later its time will come.

We have really good prices in http://www.filotienda.com,my friend.

86 7,124