01-18-2013, 01:08 AM
User Info
After all the rave reviews of the Personna Med Prep / Lab blades, I decided that I definitely needed to try them, particularly as they have been described as almost as sharp as Feathers but longer lasting. Although I quite enjoy the Feathers, they usually only last for two shaves for me.

During a recent trip to Pasteur's in NYC, I saw a blue pack of Personna blades that appeared to be nearly identical to the 5 packs of Lab blades listed by West Coast Shaving and Razor Blades & More. I've purchased and used two of the blades. First, in contrast to the Lab blades pictured in various forum posts, these had no writing other than "Made in the USA" and arrows. Most importantly, not only were the blades NOT sharp and smooth, they felt absolutely horrendous. I refused to endure either blade for an entire shave.

Based on my photos below, could anyone confirm that these are actually the Personna Lab blades that many enjoy. I would hate to eliminate a potentially great and inexpensive option because I accidentally bought the wrong blade.

Thanks for the help!

[Image: 2afh62w.jpg]
[Image: xqmfpd.jpg]

0 386
 01-18-2013, 01:31 AM
User Info
I don't have much experience with how the labs usually are packaged - I only tried a couple I got in a sampler pack - but they don't look like the picturs of Personna blades I can find online.

- Personna Super preps
- Personna DE
- Personna Super
- Personna Platinum Chrome

3 3,577
 01-18-2013, 03:22 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Med Preps, Lab Preps and Isreali Red Personna are my top three favorite blades..

Feathers are now officially off my list..

Med/Labs are not only sharp and last long, but they are so smooth. To the point of being almost invisible.. Kind of how the Weber DLC feels. Combine the two and.. ahhhhhh...

Anyway, those look nothing like any of the three Persanna blades I have in stock.

Shoot me your address.. I'll send you a couple of Med's to try.

33 914
 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM
User Info
According to some vendors, those are the "Lab" blades, but I've seen more then one user say they were no where near as nice as the Labs they know and love. To me those blades you bought look a lot more like the Personna "Barber" blades, which do not get great reviews.

0 836
 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
User Info
i thought most came in either in these blue boxes or white boxes:
* http://www.ebay.com/itm/Personna-Double-...2ec240f5e0
* http://connaughtshaving.com/perssu.html

75 20,883
 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
What you used are not Labs. I do believe they are the barber Personna blades and are also sold under the Walgreens label and probably others.

Labs are much better, IMO.

47 1,270
 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 06:25 PM)kentclark Wrote: What you used are not Labs. I do believe they are the barber Personna blades and are also sold under the Walgreens label and probably others.

Labs are much better, IMO.

+1...they look no different than the Personnas that Wal-Mart used to carry which were less than desirable. The blades you really want are the ones that comes individually wrapped in a blue wrapper.

5 938
 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM
User Info
I'm apparently not crazy and these probably aren't the Lab blades. MikekiM has graciously offered to send my some actual Labs to try. I hope they work out. I certainly would't mind a sharp, smooth and inexpensive blade made in the USA.

On a related note, how do the Labs compare to the Personna Reds from Israel? They also appear to get good reviews. Also, is there any difference between the Reds in the cardboard package with 5 blades and those in the plastic tucks with 10 blades sold by West Coast Shaving and some European vendors?

Thanks again for help.

0 386
 01-18-2013, 08:16 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The blades you show are not lab or hospital blades. They are similar to the blades that used to be sold at Walmart and store brands made by Personna. The hospital blades I have come individually packed in a blue wrapper and say on the blade "made in USA" and "for hospital use"

100 12,444
 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 05:42 AM)5Savages Wrote: According to some vendors, those are the "Lab" blades, but I've seen more then one user say they were no where near as nice as the Labs they know and love. To me those blades you bought look a lot more like the Personna "Barber" blades, which do not get great reviews.

Whatever they're called, I bought 100 of them. And then 100 more. Biggrin

0 554
 01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
As said, those in the know say these are "Barbers". I also bought one of these despensor packs. I dont know what they are but they are not Labs.

7 898
 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
User Info
Look just like the ones that I bought from Sally's last week. The sales person tried to tell me that they would fit a hair trimmer that I had because of being special barber blades. Wrong. Just run of the mill DE's
Haven't tried them yet for shaving but from looking at them- appearance is substandard!!

5 410
 10-07-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 01:08 AM)branford Wrote: After all the rave reviews of the Personna Med Prep / Lab blades, I decided that I definitely needed to try them, particularly as they have been described as almost as sharp as Feathers but longer lasting. Although I quite enjoy the Feathers, they usually only last for two shaves for me.

During a recent trip to Pasteur's in NYC, I saw a blue pack of Personna blades that appeared to be nearly identical to the 5 packs of Lab blades listed by West Coast Shaving and Razor Blades & More. I've purchased and used two of the blades. First, in contrast to the Lab blades pictured in various forum posts, these had no writing other than "Made in the USA" and arrows. Most importantly, not only were the blades NOT sharp and smooth, they felt absolutely horrendous. I refused to endure either blade for an entire shave.

Based on my photos below, could anyone confirm that these are actually the Personna Lab blades that many enjoy. I would hate to eliminate a potentially great and inexpensive option because I accidentally bought the wrong blade.

Thanks for the help!

[Image: 2afh62w.jpg]
[Image: xqmfpd.jpg]

0 3