01-18-2013, 03:30 AM
User Info
If anyone read the thread I made about my last Shavemac order of 3 custom made Shavemacs, you may remember that I accidentally got a D01 2-Band Blue Marble in fan shape instead of what I ordered - bulb shape.

Bernd ASAP send me a new brush - and I promised to ship the fan shaped brush back to him. Before I do so, I just took a couple of pics to show the difference between a bulb and fan shape in D01 2-Band Shavemac hair.

You get a more profound and round bulb shaped knot from the softer type of badger hair qualities like regular 3-Band Silvertip, Finest badger, Best 3-Band badger from Simpson, Thäter 3-Band and even Thäter 2-Band (Thäter 2-Band is as soft as other manufacturers 3-Band IMHO), Rooney Super 3-Band, Morris & Forndran Super 3-Band, Kent 3-Band Silvertip and others.

As soon as you move into the tougher more stiff badger hairs, and I'm not talking about regular Pure Badger, which is a cheap badger hair quality taken from the stiffer hair areas all over the badger, but I'm talking about Shavemac D01 2-Band, Simpson Manchurian, Morris & Forndran Finest 2-Band, Rooney Finest 2-Band and even Shavemac D01 3-Band - you tend to get a less rounded bulb shape, that tend to look more like a hybrid knot of a bulb and fan.

With that said, I still think you can see the obvious diffirence in the two knots in these 2 photos - I'm glad I got the bulb shaped knot, which I originally ordered since I already own a custom Shavemac in D01 2-Band with a fan shaped knot, that closely resembles the fan shaped knot in the photo, only difference in 1 mm smaller in knot size.

Specs for the 2 brushes in the photo:
Left brush: BULB shaped Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip, 54 mm loft, 26 mm knot size. Handle model 167 in Blue Marble
Right brush: FAN shaped Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip, 54 mm loft, 26 mm knot size. Handle model 167 in Blue Marble

[Image: 257nosg.jpg]
[Image: vfhfm.jpg]

22 5,064
 01-18-2013, 06:24 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
They are beautiful Claus!

If it were me I'd be inclined to keep the pair.

The bulb will feel more concentrated on the face, the knot's shape should be better supported and display more backbone, while the fan should feel bigger and softer against the face. Flow through might be improved with the fan and provide for a different lathering experience...

91 17,854
 01-18-2013, 07:00 AM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 06:24 AM)ben74 Wrote: They are beautiful Claus!

If it were me I'd be inclined to keep the pair.

The bulb will feel more concentrated on the face, the knot's shape should be better supported and display more backbone, while the fan should feel bigger and softer against the face. Flow through might be improved with the fan and provide for a different lathering experience...

Thanks Ben Smile

But I already own this in brown and black - only 1 mm smaller in knot size and a different model handle:

Shavemac D01 2-band model 102 in brown-black FAN shaped 54 mm loft and 25 mm knot size:

To the right in this photo
[Image: 67o41j.jpg]

To the left in this photo
[Image: 33az0rd.jpg]

And actually I forgot something - the handle I gor in my new bulb shaped one is marginally fatter in size than the one with the fan shape - and I prefer that.....in a 26 mm/54 mm loft brush....Wink

22 5,064
 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 03:30 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: If anyone read the thread I made about my last Shavemac order of 3 custom made Shavemacs, you may remember that I accidentally got a D01 2-Band Blue Marble in fan shape instead of what I ordered - bulb shape.

Bernd ASAP send me a new brush - and I promised to ship the fan shaped brush back to him. Before I do so, I just took a couple of pics to show the difference between a bulb and fan shape in D01 2-Band Shavemac hair.

You get a more profound and round bulb shaped knot from the softer type of badger hair qualities like regular 3-Band Silvertip, Finest badger, Best 3-Band badger from Simpson, Thäter 3-Band and even Thäter 2-Band (Thäter 2-Band is as soft as other manufacturers 3-Band IMHO), Rooney Super 3-Band, Morris & Forndran Super 3-Band, Kent 3-Band Silvertip and others.

As soon as you move into the tougher more stiff badger hairs, and I'm not talking about regular Pure Badger, which is a cheap badger hair quality taken from the stiffer hair areas all over the badger, but I'm talking about Shavemac D01 2-Band, Simpson Manchurian, Morris & Forndran Finest 2-Band, Rooney Finest 2-Band and even Shavemac D01 3-Band - you tend to get a less rounded bulb shape, that tend to look more like a hybrid knot of a bulb and fan.

With that said, I still think you can see the obvious diffirence in the two knots in these 2 photos - I'm glad I got the bulb shaped knot, which I originally ordered since I already own a custom Shavemac in D01 2-Band with a fan shaped knot, that closely resembles the fan shaped knot in the photo, only difference in 1 mm smaller in knot size.

Left brush: BULB shaped Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip, 54 mm loft, 26 mm knot size. Handle model 167 in Blue Marble
Right brush: FAN shaped Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip, 54 mm loft, 26 mm knot size. Handle model 167 in Blue Marble

Thank you for posting, this will help me pick a good 2 band

0 606
 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Love that Brown/Black on the right! Thanks for sharing Claus!

35 2,703
 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 03:30 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: If anyone read the thread I made about my last Shavemac order of 3 custom made Shavemacs, you may remember that I accidentally got a D01 2-Band Blue Marble in fan shape instead of what I ordered - bulb shape.

That actually looks more like Shavemac's Hybrid knot. Their fan knot tends to be flat on the top. My D01 2-band is in the hybrid knot and my D01 Silvertip is in bulb shape. I really like the hybrid for face lathering.

129 6,685
 01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for the pics , Claus.

In the case of the D01 two band , I will choose the fan shaped.I had an 18 mm knot , set at 48 mm loft , D01 two band fan shaped which was very good for facelathering.The TSN D01 two band is a hybrid and I dont find its shaped to be as good as the fan shaped.

In the other hand , I like the hybrid shaped on the D01 3 band.

shavemac makes outstanding brushes indeed.

86 7,123
 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
User Info
Nice pictures. The difference is very slight but its there.

Beautiful brushes.

7 1,179
 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
User Info
That blue marble is AMAZING! The black is cool too, but I'm loving the blue. Nice brushes Sir!

5 938
 01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes Claus!

7 128