01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
Review: Single Edge Open Comb MicroMatic (chrome plated)

Appearance: The razor is very stylish and unique compared to other razors I’ve seen. The handle has vertical columns that extend all the way to the end, interrupted by a dual circular ring. The head has a large angular appearance, with an open comb extending below the smooth sloped top plate.

The razor has a short handle that looks a bit thinner than a my more modern bulldog handles.

Feel: The weighting felt relatively light (64g), but well balanced.

For comparison:

Rotbart OC - 49g
Gillette Super Speed (1940’s) - 55g
OCMM – 64g
Merkur 34C HD – 79g
Cobra Classic – 94g
Ikon Deluxe – 103g

Operation: The OCMM is a one-piece razor. Twist the handle and the head tilts open, similar to a butterfly head on a DE razor. I liked the compact opening and closing motion, 2 turns for me, aided by an internal spring. Loading the blade felt a bit awkward the first time using the razor. This became much easier the second time.

The Shave:

I liked the grip that the columns and rings on the handle provided. In any position the open comb efficiently raked up the lather. The open comb / blade position also allowed you to feel where the blade is. I liked this physical feedback, along with the auditory feedback that the razor provided.

With the top of the razor flat against the skin, the shave is smooth and relatively mild. From there, I liked the ability to adjust the angle of attack. Tilt up a bit and very quickly so does the aggressiveness of the shave. Tilted up a lot and you need to be very (very) careful. Given that I find the blade to be harsh in the tilted position, I would advise not tilting the razor too much. Also, as with all razors, this razor requires a light touch.

My first shave with the razor I experimented a lot with angles and as a result experienced a few small cuts on my neck (in typical problem areas), nothing that an alum lock couldn’t quickly handle. The second shave I respected the razor more but still had one very small/minor cut.

Even one cut is more than I typically experience (other aggressive razors I use: Slant, r41, Cobra, straights). To me, part of this is the blade. The GEM blade I was using did not seem as smooth as some of my favorite DE blades or straight razors in the tilted position. It could also be that this razor head is meant to kept flatter?

Conclusion:

I really enjoyed the opportunity to try this razor and look forward to keeping it in my rotation!

191 1,552
 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for a wonderful review and great pictures. I used to own several SE razors and one of them had instructions that said to keep the blade against your fact while shaving.

100 12,437
 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
User Info
Good review WF!

I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Re: the angle, I orient the head flat and drop the handle a hair (heading south on a cheek). The blade and maybe 1/4" of the head slides along the skin. Most folks I know of use this same angle so you got it just because it felt right. IMO SE razors are intuitive.

32 6,308
 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
User Info
Nice review. It doesn't take long to get up to speed with the ocmm. Enjoy the shave.

Just an FYI... When seating the blade, just make sure it is seated securely behind the blade stops. If not, it can get ugly quickly.

18 567
 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
User Info
OCMM, the original TTO & still no one has been able to make a better version.

Regarding the harshness of the blade I will say that the first 1-2 shaves can be rough if you don't palm strop. Once I started palm stropping I no longer get the harsh initial shaves & it's just smooth shaving for 12+ shaves from my Pella PTFEs.

Nice review, easily my favorite Micromatic & in my top 3 of all razors.

31 7,912
 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
User Info
You might want to check out this gents video on them:

Great photos and review.
i could not get on with the blades, myself. Good luck to you.

75 20,883
 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review! Palm strop and follow Mr. Guy's video above (including how to properly load a blade) and your shares should improve. I personally don't play around with angles on the OCMM...too risky (only great results so far)!

47 1,270
 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
Good review! I had an OCMM I used to love, it was my gateway drug to straights honestly. The OCMM does great going ATG, and don't be afraid to increase your angle a wee bit to get that close shave; as long as you're watching your pressure it won't bite you.

12 83
 01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
User Info
Cobra Classic / Ever-Ready Streamline / GEM OpenComb Micromatic

= Best performance I've encountered

When I use my OCMM I've found that it pretty much finds the optimal shaving angle on it's own fairly easily,once it's in the zone,I'm on autopilot,with this razor I don't play around with various angles.

I get an extremely smooth effective shave with little effort and feel I couldn't cut myself unless I tried to.

I use GEM PTFE Coated Stainless Steel Blades

7 414
 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 06:38 PM)razorx Wrote: Cobra Classic / Ever-Ready Streamline / GEM OpenComb Micromatic

When I use my OCMM I've found that it pretty much finds the optimal shaving angle on it's own fairly easily,once it's in the zone,I'm on autopilot,with this razor I don't play around with various angles.

I get an extremely smooth effective shave with little effort and feel I couldn't cut myself unless I tried to.

Marc just nailed my top 3 razors... ever... period!

31 7,912
 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 06:38 PM)razorx Wrote: Cobra Classic / Ever-Ready Streamline / GEM OpenComb Micromatic

I love this thing ! It was on your recommendation that I acquired it because of the blade feedback while shaving up to my beard. I can't thank you enough !

I find the carbon blades sharper but they tarnish instantly and only last me 2 shaves then I have to strop them. I didn't care for the stainless blades at all, very rough to me. The Pella blades I love ! not as sharp as the carbons for me but they are smooth and seem to last forever.

I couldn't agree more about feeling like you couldn't cut yourself with this thing. The feedback from the generously exposed blade is just fantastic. I was expecting a much more difficult razor from the reviews I read, but I just don't find it difficult at all. I use it with a pretty aggressive angle, But I have an extremely light touch with all of my razors so maybe that is the key ?

6 1,224
 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
User Info
Thanks. Regarding seating the blade, I have a feeling that's what I did wrong. I think the first shave the blade wasn't seated right, the second it was.

I look forward to the next shave being extra sure the blade is seated correctly.

(01-18-2013, 04:10 PM)PanChango Wrote: Nice review. It doesn't take long to get up to speed with the ocmm. Enjoy the shave.

Just an FYI... When seating the blade, just make sure it is seated securely behind the blade stops. If not, it can get ugly quickly.

Thanks for posting the video. I was doing most of what was said, it did clarify seating the blade. Very important, and I'm positive I did it right (definitely don't think I did the first shave).

(01-18-2013, 06:06 PM)celestino Wrote: You might want to check out this gents video on them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

Great photos and review.
i could not get on with the blades, myself. Good luck to you.

191 1,552
 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
(01-18-2013, 06:49 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:

Marc just nailed my top 3 razors... ever... period!

Brian you had those 3 nailed down as favorites well before I did.My OCMM never seemed to interest me,it sat around in deep storage for months before I finally got around to trying it.It wasn't until I finally jumped on the Cobra Tour that I got to feel the magic Feather Pro blade at work...

(01-18-2013, 07:13 PM)Nickadermis Wrote:

I love this thing ! It was on your recommendation that I acquired it because of the blade feedback while shaving up to my beard. I can't thank you enough !

I find the carbon blades sharper but they tarnish instantly and only last me 2 shaves then I have to strop them. I didn't care for the stainless blades at all, very rough to me. The Pella blades I love ! not as sharp as the carbons for me but they are smooth and seem to last forever.

I couldn't agree more about feeling like you couldn't cut yourself with this thing. The feedback from the generously exposed blade is just fantastic. I was expecting a much more difficult razor from the reviews I read, but I just don't find it difficult at all. I use it with a pretty aggressive angle, But I have an extremely light touch with all of my razors so maybe that is the key ?

I remember....we were talking over on the general shaving discussion section.That's way cool Eric....It's great to see that worked well for you.

The OpenComb Micromatic is an awful lot of bang for the buck...It'll shave circles around many razors with triple digit price tags.

7 414
 01-19-2013, 11:05 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I just received on myself. Nice shaver, the angle I use is almost flat against the skin.
Great review, I liked your picture comparison to other razors well done.

1 3,507
 01-19-2013, 10:19 PM
User Info
I had my 3rd shave with the OCMM tonight. Best one yet.

The blade still feels slightly harsh, but I kept the head flatter (didn't experiment w angles) and didn't have any nicks.

I am really enjoying the different feel approach of the SE!

191 1,552
 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM
User Info
Nice review! I'm a fan of the SEs and while I do not have the OC version, I really enjoy my MM.

5 938
 01-20-2013, 12:26 AM
User Info
This is a great review of a nice razor, thank you for sharing your opinions and the pictures. I own three, 2 OC and a clogpruf. They are all wonderful and comfortable shavers, mine just don't see much action since I much prefer the double edge.

63 2,128