01-18-2013, 08:00 PM
User Info
Yes, I know, Teiste has already posted a wonderful review of these brushes with very nice pictures to boot, but I wanted to throw my thoughts out there as well.

Many of us either own one or have read the reviews of the WSP Prince and Monarch brushes and they are great. The "beta" stubbies are a preview of the next generation of the WSP brush line up, and I am here to tell you that they are phenominal. Okay, okay, many of you know by now that I just love chubbies with big/dense knots so I am a bit bias here, but really...If you think the HMW and SuperFine badger hair in the Monarch series is great, then you are in for a real treat with the stubby.

Let's start with the HMW:

This bad boy sports the familiar three band HMW badger hair that Lee has sourced from China that is truly some of the whitest and softest silvertip I have used to date. I am directly comparing this hair to Simpson three band super, Thäter three band, Rooney and M&F three band and Vulfix three band super. The 26/55mm knot offers a good balance of backbone and flow thru for a facelatherer. The brush splays just enough to release lather without showing any sign of being floppy. For you bowl latherers, this brush should be the same in regards to flowthru and lathering performance. The tips are very white and offer zero scritch which is great for us who love the softies but possibly a deterrent for those who prefer some good scritch. The handle is similar in size to the Simpson chubby 1 and the 1/1 Rooney. It offers decent heft and feels comfortable in the hand, unlike the CH1 which to me feels a bit to small for me to really enjoy.

Now the two band SuperFine badger:

This hair offers the same feel and performance overall vs the Monarch series. The big difference to me is the backbone...This brush really provides a strong backbone and is very dense, but not hard as a rock dense at all. The thicker shafts of the 26/55mm two band are very springy and pick up soap with ease. The tips aren't as luxurious as the HMW, but are still soft while offering a gentle scrub. This brush is really a solid choice for a facelatherer but if you bowl lather, you might be better off with the three band as it offers better splay. This brush likes to hide water deep down in the knot as compared to the HMW, and if you're not careful with your water/product ratio, you might end up with drops of watery lather on your chest and neck. I feel that I need to start with a much drier brush when lathering with the two band.

In summary...

The HMW-
Luxuriously soft tips with great density and good flowthru. Scritch lovers, stay away from this one, it is built for the cloud like/ gentle scrub lovers. Nice faux horn handle with decent weight. Badger hair doesn't get much better than this guys and gals! If you like a small knotted brush, the stubby is not your brush.

***Note, Teiste had compared the HMW in the Monarch brush to Plisson, I didn't originally agree at all with that comment having owned a Plisson. The stubby now has me in agreement with Teiste, this really is the same quality hair that Plisson offers. ***

SuperFine two band-
An über dense scrubby brush with good flowthru and very strong backbone. This springy hair will load any hard soap in no time and give it up without a fight once on the face. If you like a good soft scrub on the face, this is a great choice. If you are looking for luxurious tips, look elsewhere.

Keep in mind that these are "beta" brushes. The finished product will be released in 26mm with a slightly lower loft, 50/52mm.

If these new stubbies have your attention, save up some money and keep an eye out for the soon to be released final version in HMW.

***I apologize for the glare and reflection of me in the handles in the pictures, I am not a photographer but felt that the central TX hill country would be a good backdrop to show off these brushes.***

EDIT: After another caliper check, both of the beta stubbies are lofted at 54mm, not 55mm. My apologies.

Attached Files Image(s)

63 2,128
 01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
User Info
Jeremy, well, you beat me to it. i was going to do a review of the Stubby 2-band, this weekend and may be i will, regardless.
My only differing observation is that i find the 2-band softer than the HMW. i had both of them in the Monarch and i preferred the 2-band as it was softer than the HMW; not by much, but still a bit softer, for me.
i have to concur that these brushes, at least the 2-band as i have not tried the HMW, are incredible brushes for the money. The 2-band is on par or better than my Simpsons 2-band and very, very close to my Rooney Heritage Stubbys 2-band and possibly softer than my Rooney Heritage Stubbys 3-band. i can not wait until the shorter loft brushes materialize to see how they compare to all of my Stubbys/Chubbys. i was so enamoured with the 2-band that i had to order another. How could i pass on such a great brush for its price?
Great review and enjoy the brushes.

75 20,883
 01-18-2013, 09:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Cessnabird , thank you for the review of the brushes.You already know what I think of them , and I do agree with you in many things regarding the quality if them.I do prefer the HMW to the 2 band , but I do prefer 3 band brushes in general over 2 band brushes.

Celestino , please , write your inputs/thoughts/review of the brushes , so in this way , we can have more opinions of them.

86 7,123
 01-19-2013, 01:17 AM
User Info
Those look nice.

Any 29mm to compete with th Chubby 3?

0 193
 01-19-2013, 06:07 AM
User Info
I decided to pick up a 2 band reading the below. I like the handles and the Monarch/Prince 2 bands were soft and a good value overall. I will post some impressions once I receive the 2 band.
(01-18-2013, 08:55 PM)celestino Wrote: Jeremy, well, you beat me to it. i was going to do a review of the Stubby 2-band, this weekend and may be i will, regardless.
My only differing observation is that i find the 2-band softer than the HMW. i had both of them in the Monarch and i preferred the 2-band as it was softer than the HMW; not by much, but still a bit softer, for me.
i have to concur that these brushes, at least the 2-band as i have not tried the HMW, are incredible brushes for the money. The 2-band is on par or better than my Simpsons 2-band and very, very close to my Rooney Heritage Stubbys 2-band and possibly softer than my Rooney Heritage Stubbys 3-band. i can not wait until the shorter loft brushes materialize to see how they compare to all of my Stubbys/Chubbys. i was so enamoured with the 2-band that i had to order another. How could i pass on such a great brush for its price?
Great review and enjoy the brushes.

31 1,554
 01-19-2013, 07:19 AM
User Info
I'm hoping that these knots are made available so I can get another custom from Bob @ Elite!

Great reviews everyone! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

31 7,912
 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great looking pair, congratulations!

91 17,811
 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 01:17 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: Those look nice.

The same hair is available in individual knots. I had a 28mm shipped to Rudy and he will be making a custom Chubby for me in the next few weeks.

63 2,128
 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM
User Info
I also own the Super-Fine 2-band and my assessment is essentially identical to Cessna's. It reminds me a lot of the Rooney 2XL Heritage.

In addition, I also own the newer "beta" brush that Cessna referred to and it is VERY impressive. I am a bit of a brush snob but found this brush to be a very pleasant surprise. My collection is top-heavy with high end Simpsons, Rooneys and M & F's (See? I told you I was a snob!), but this brush is a keeper as far as I am concerned. I think it slots nicely between the Chubby 2 in super 2-band and the Rooney 2XL Heritage. The tips are a tiny bit scritchy like the Rooney (but undetectable in use) and the backbone feels very close to the Chubby's (solid, but not irritating in any way). The knot is 28.5mm, the loft is approx 48mm and the handle height is 52mm. The handle is a bit narrower than the Chubby's, but my big hand appreciates the additional handle height. The density is also very similar to the Chubby 2's. For me, it is a pleasure to use - solid and reliable. As far as price goes, it's a serious bargain IMHO.

Here are a couple of pics:

[attachment=10973][attachment=10974]

66 692
 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Shame, they look like great brushes but I don't like my knot that large. I prefer 20-24mm knots. Sad

3 497
 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM
User Info
Well, there have been two wonderful reviews of the WSP Stubby brushes and i promised some folks that i would share my thoughts on the brushes, but i will limit this review to the Stubby 2-band as i have used it now for almost three weeks, or so.
Let me preface this by saying that i do not like large brushes and any knot above 25mm is a very large knot for me. Also, a loft over 52mm is excessive for me and i have not had very good experience with any higher than that as they have all splayed too much as i face-lather exclusively. To give you an idea of my favourite brushes, they consist of mainly Chubbys/Stubby type: 2 Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XLs, Chubby 1 2-band, older Rooney Heritage Stubby 1 and 1XL 3-bands, and 4 Frank Shaving synthetics 24/48mm. These are my principle brushes that i really enjoy using. i have just recently gotten a Frank Shaving synthetic 26/48mm that i am also really enjoying.

To begin, i was familiar with the hair that Lee offers in this Stubby 2-band as i had both the Monarch in HMW and 2-band. i knew when i bought both Monarchs that the knot was too small and too tall for me and i was worried about splaying. They are set at 23/53mm. However, i wanted to try the hair that i was hearing so much about. i am very glad that i did since both Monarchs were excellent brushes, but as i had known, they were a bit too small for me. As a result of trying the 2-band Monarch, i knew i had to get the Stubby 2-band because the hair was fantastically soft. When i received the Stubby 2-band, the first thing that i noticed was how densely packed it was! i was not prepared for this. i was sure with its dimensions of 26/53mm and its density that it would be just too large with the splay since i face-lather. However, upon its first use, i noticed that the backbone was incredibly pleasant and more so than i had expected for such a high loft. The more and more i used it, i noticed that the hair was softer than the HMW, FOR ME, any way. It is extremely soft and i noticed it was as soft if not softer than my Simpsons 2-band and my Rooney Heritage Stubby 3-bands. i would even go as far as to say it is comparable to my Rooney Heritage Stubby 1XLs. Again, this is a subjective opinion on the softness of the hair in brushes and others might have a differing perspective. i had not expected to like this brush, much at all keep it, as i was concerned with its size. However, now, having used it for this length of time, i am finding that it is a fantastic brush that does not splay very much at all due to its great backbone and i am actually finding that all of my other brushes might be too small. Hee hee. i had never thought that would ever happen. However, that is what seems to be happening, but i doubt i could ever sell my other ones since i still really enjoy using them and find them to be excellent brushes, also!

* Backbone: Excellent and easily enough for face-lathering and for good massage and application of soap.

* Loading soap & Lathering: As i only use Mike's and Mystic Water, it easily loads these soaps within 30 seconds, depending on how much i want to use. Produces a copious amount of lather and releases it fairly easily with circular motions and, of course, releases it quite well when using paint-brush strokes. i usually face-lather for 2-3 minutes for my first pass and never have any issue with the hair irritating my skin as i have sensitive skin. Easily holds enough lather for a 3-pass shave.

* Water retention & Control: Holds a large amount of water with its dense knot, but i usually start off with a drier brush to load my soaps and add water, little by little.
The main reason i had never liked large knots was the ability to control the lather from the brush and most would emit it all over my face, but because of this brush's backbone, i can easily control where i want the lather to go and with its knot, i can also cover more of my face and neck without having to work as hard with my smaller brushes. i had never noticed this before, but this brush is making my face-lathering much easier than when i use my smaller brushes as the size of the knot coupled with its backbone make it a treat to lather with. Another benefit that i have noticed is that the lather does not run down onto the handle which is a very nice feature because of it knot size.

* Time of drying: i have not noticed any problem with the time it takes to dry and it seems to be fine the next day. i don't see an issue with its knot size.

Overall, for what this brush offers in terms of knot size, backbone, density and, more importantly, its extremely soft hair/bristles, i doubt you will be able to find anything comparable at its price! After having used this brush and realizing just how great it is, i had to order another one and i am trying to convince Lee to get me two more in lower lofts as i would really like to see how it performs at the lofts as my Rooneys and Chubbys. i would HIGHLY recommend this for any one seriously contemplating a higher-end 2-band badger brush.

* i am including two pics of the brush next to a few brushes for size reference.

[Image: stubby1_zps96abd026.jpg]

[Image: stubby3_zps488b730f.jpg]

75 20,883
 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Excellent review celestino! I should have ordered one as soon as you had mentioned this brush to me last week ... now it's sold out!

102 17,662
 01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 10:34 AM)cessnabird Wrote:

The same hair is available in individual knots. I had a 28mm shipped to Rudy and he will be making a custom Chubby for me in the next few weeks.

The current individual knots may be the same hair, but I don't believe that they are packed as densely as these Stibby brushes are.

31 7,912
 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM
User Info
(01-21-2013, 05:26 PM)Agravic Wrote: Excellent review celestino! I should have ordered one as soon as you had mentioned this brush to me last week ... now it's sold out!

* Ahh, young folk! Never listening to their elders. Tongue

75 20,883
 01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
User Info
this thread is like brush heaven Smile Wish I owned one of those badboys!

0 7
 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-21-2013, 05:43 PM)celestino Wrote:
(01-21-2013, 05:26 PM)Agravic Wrote: Excellent review celestino! I should have ordered one as soon as you had mentioned this brush to me last week ... now it's sold out!

Wise soul my friend celestino, you are.
hmmmh ... as Yoda would say!

102 17,662
 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
User Info
Celestino, thank you for sharing your review and fantastic pictures!! Wow!

(01-21-2013, 05:40 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(01-19-2013, 10:34 AM)cessnabird Wrote:

The current individual knots may be the same hair, but I don't believe that they are packed as densely as these Stibby brushes are.

You are correct, they are packed differently. I should have been more clear on that. Lee told me that the stubbies are more densely packed, but that the larger knots by nature are more dense in general.

(01-21-2013, 06:18 PM)squatzilla801 Wrote: Wow. If the lofts were 52mm, I don't think I could resist.

Amir, the HMW stubbies coming out very soon will be set at 50-52mm, grab one buddy!

63 2,128
 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Well written review , Celestino.Yes , theyre great brushes indeed.WSP is doing a good job providing good brushes at a reasonable price.

86 7,123
 01-22-2013, 03:43 AM
User Info
I am looking forward to confirm your impressions. Mine should arrive today.
(01-21-2013, 05:43 PM)celestino Wrote:

31 1,554
 01-22-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
Celestino's reviews are always more detailed and well-thought out than mine, so I will say that I echo every comment and evaluation he made.

Again, not only did I find these brushes to be very good, they were surprisingly good.

The newer one has taken its place in my collection alongside my two Simpson Chubby 3's, my Rooney 3XL Heritage and my M & F 33mm "Stubby" made with Finest hair. I have sold all of my other 2-band brushes; these are my keepers and the WSP is a worthy member of the group. When Lee comes out with the next generation, you can be sure I'll buy one.

66 692