01-19-2013, 05:45 AM
User Info
Brush #1.

When Classic Shaving offered up some NOS M & F brushes made with genuine Rooney Finest hair available, I grabbed a giant 33mm brush which I called the 4XL (not sure if M & F had a model name for it). When it arrived, I was totally seduced by the enormous, dense and ultra soft knot, but little did I know what was lurking inside that knot. When dry, it was incredibly soft, but once I put the brush to work, its evil twin appeared. The softness was gone - replaced by what Rudy Vey (and others) described as a sensation of wires embedded in the knot. I found it to be very unpleasant and irritating. I kept the brush for a while, used it a number of times (despite the irritation) and did a lot of palm-lathering to try to soften up that knot, but it didn't change. Ultimately, i decided it just wasn't a good brush for my somewhat sensitive skin and I sold it.

Brush #2.

A friend of mine had bought two of these brushes and decided to sell the larger one, which was an exact twin to the one I had. I decided that I had to find out if my (wiry) brush was a fluke or whether all of the Finests were similarly irritating, so I bought it. It had been used only 2 - 3 times and initially, it also felt stiff and irritating, but not exactly in the same way - I didn't get that "embedded wire" sensation. I did a lot of palm-lathering with this brush as well, but this one responded differently; it softened up bit-by-bit with each use. When I used it yesterday morning, it felt very much like a slightly stiffer version of my Manchurian Chubby 3 - which is exactly what I hoped it would be from the beginning. With the first brush, I didn't dare scrub very hard at all. Yesterday I did 3.5 passes and felt free to scrub as hard as I wanted to - all I felt was a slight tingling which was not unpleasant.

So I am curious why there was such a big difference between the two brushes. Were the Finests just highly inconsistent? Was it the extra palm-lathering that made the difference? Did I give up too soon on the first one? I know that other Finest owners have experienced that "embedded wire" feeling, but I'd also like to know if their brushes softened up for them over time or whether they just stayed wiry and irritating. Are there guys out there who actually like that wiry sensation?

[attachment=10951]

66 692
 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have recently tried a Rooney Finest , and I experienced the same than you with the first brush : it was very unpleasant to use it.It seems that some batches of that hair were very scratchy , like pure/mixed badger hair.

86 7,123
 01-19-2013, 07:17 AM
User Info
I am staying away from those... If I would ever shed $300+ on a brush it better be the best possible experience...

31 1,554
 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I haven't tried any of the NOS or "rediscovered" Finest, but I've owned a few original Rooney Finest...

They were ALL similar to Simpsons Manchurian in that they provided sensation via individual hair strength, none presented the "wire" sensation...

91 17,828
 01-19-2013, 10:09 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
(01-19-2013, 09:47 AM)ben74 Wrote: I haven't tried any of the NOS or "rediscovered" Finest, but I've owned a few original Rooney Finest...

They were ALL similar to Simpsons Manchurian in that they provided sensation via individual hair strength, none presented the "wire" sensation...

Ben,

Lovely finest collection! Care to part with any more Biggrin

Please.....

In regards to the OP, I have never felt a wire sensation from the 2 different finests I own. More like Ben that the individual hair strength provides the "scritch" sensation.

11 185
 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM
User Info
I've used two brushes with the same hair grade. I've owned three, but never got around to using the third one.

The problem with the Rooney Finest 1/2 is that the effective loft is very short causing the wire sensation to really poke my face.

The other brush with the same hair has a much higher loft ~60mm. The wire sensation is almost completely gone, but can be felt.

I think some people actually do like the prickly sensation. Or so they say on message boards.

9 2,988
 01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I dont like prickle otherwise I'd be buying Pure rather than Manchurian. The scratchy, low cost, cut hair has sharp, coarse ends that scratch at the face and IMO cause irritation and reddening to the skin...

I do like sensation and the old Finest (along with the new Manchurian) do provide resistance against the face, but IMO not scratch...

91 17,828
 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
Wow, what a collection, Ben!

75 20,883
 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 10:53 AM)ben74 Wrote: I dont like prickle otherwise I'd be buying Pure rather than Manchurian. The scratchy, low cost, cut hair has sharp, coarse ends that scratch at the face and IMO cause irritation and reddening to the skin...

I do like sensation and the old Finest (along with the new Manchurian) do provide resistance against the face, but IMO not scratch...

Agreed. The sensation is not the same as cut ends. But "wire embedded in the knot" is as close to putting words to sensation that I can think of.

The longer the loft, the less pronounced the feeling.

9 2,988
 01-19-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
Those of you who don't like your Finest can send them to me for proper disposal. Tongue

I have a 3/1 and love it. Used it today in fact, nothing else - save for one brush in my collection - feels remotely like it.

12 1,243
 01-19-2013, 04:00 PM
User Info
It is interesting how the two brushes are so similar, yet so different in regards to face feel. The "wire embedded within the knot" sensation sounds awful. None for me thank you!

63 2,128
 01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 04:00 PM)cessnabird Wrote: It is interesting how the two brushes are so similar, yet so different in regards to face feel. The "wire embedded within the knot" sensation sounds awful. None for me thank you!

Oh, but it's something every serious brush aficionado *must* try. That said, you could just buy the Plisson version.

9 2,988
 01-19-2013, 09:21 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 05:46 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(01-19-2013, 04:00 PM)cessnabird Wrote: It is interesting how the two brushes are so similar, yet so different in regards to face feel. The "wire embedded within the knot" sensation sounds awful. None for me thank you!

Oh, but it's something every serious brush aficionado *must* try. That said, you could just buy the Plisson version.

I have been tempted a time or two, but simply cannot bring myself to purchase a brush I know I will dislike even if to just try it out.

63 2,128
 01-19-2013, 09:54 PM
User Info
i wouldn't mind giving the "wire-in-the-knot" brush a go.
i enjoy new things. Is it really that "prickly"?

75 20,883
 01-19-2013, 11:20 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 09:21 PM)cessnabird Wrote:

I have been tempted a time or two, but simply cannot bring myself to purchase a brush I know I will dislike even if to just try it out.

But you can just sell it for what you bought it for. Cool

Yup, I'm playing enabler.... Biggrin

I suggest the Plisson or Somerset Simpson version of the Finest hair. It's actually quite pleasant in a long loft.

(01-19-2013, 09:54 PM)celestino Wrote: i wouldn't mind giving the "wire-in-the-knot" brush a go.
i enjoy new things. Is it really that "prickly"?

It feels different to different people. All I can say for sure is that the sensation intensity decreases with the longer loft.

9 2,988
 01-19-2013, 11:43 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 09:21 PM)cessnabird Wrote:

You won't know unless you've tried it. And if you don't like it, it will sell quickly.

The Finest is what really got me to appreciate and enjoy the scrubbier style of brush. Note that this is very different than "prickly" brushes - I've had those and didn't enjoy them at all. The Finest is a different beast altogether.

12 1,243
 01-20-2013, 05:08 AM
User Info
For what it's worth, I also owned a Plisson made with HMW hair, which is the same as Finest hair. That super-high Plisson loft carried its own set of issues - I never felt as though my hand was directly connected with the tips of the brush and that high loft acted like a springboard that slung lather all over the place.

66 692