01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
User Info
I just received a estermoz scuttle from another member here and I tried it last night with mixed results.

The lather, although was slightly warm to my face, I expected it to be rather warm. I did fill both the inner and outer bowls with hot water while I was in the shower, replaced the hot water in the outer bowl and made my lather. Am I to microwave the water perhaps?

Also, what about lather break down due to water evaporation? Am I to just keep adding drops of water after each pass?

3 53
 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am not familiar with your particular scuttle but this is what I do with my Moss, DB 1.5, and SWK scuttles.

I get my hot water from the kitchen because that's the hottest water in the house. Like you I fill both inner and outer and let it set for about 10-15 minutes, dump out all of the water then just fill the inner compartment with steaming hot tap water.

It keeps the lather warm, not hot. The only soaps/creams that I've any issues with as for as lather thinning is those with lanolin, like the MWF.

All of my scuttles are one piece and you cannot separate the top and bottoms.

173 23,546
 01-19-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
I microwave my scuttles, and the water is nice and hot throughout the shave. For smaller scuttles (12 oz. or less water reservoir) I heat for 60-75 seconds, for larger ones 2 minutes. I add just an additional sprinkle of water and whip it into the lather for each pass (but I only bowl lather).

184 12,003
 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I nuke my scuttle just like John for very warm to hot lather. You can place the Estermoz scuttle with water in the lower chamber but not too high and place it in the microwave without any damage. Most newer scuttles are microwave safe.

100 12,445
 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I have an old scuttle which has no name or marks. I would be scared to nuke it... Warm is good enough for me. I have a hotel 6th pan from my chefin' days that I fill with hot water and set my mugs inside. That keeps by lather warm while I'm muggin' it...

5 1,151
 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I enjoy warm lather but don't want HOT lather. You really need to be careful not to get the scuttle too warm. too hot will make it difficult to whip up a good lather.

3 497
 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM
User Info
(01-19-2013, 02:40 PM)DLP Wrote: I enjoy warm lather but don't want HOT lather. You really need to be careful not to get the scuttle too warm. too hot will make it difficult to whip up a good lather.
It'll be more like foam. 120-140f is about Max.

2 546
 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
Do have any pictures?

75 20,883
 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
User Info
Just to confirm, you nuke the scuttle with no water in it for a few minutes? My lather today was horrible as I dried it out far too fast. Ah well, you live and learn.

3 53
 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
(01-20-2013, 04:04 PM)ClassicShaver Wrote: Just to confirm, you nuke the scuttle with no water in it for a few minutes? My lather today was horrible as I dried it out far too fast. Ah well, you live and learn.

No, microwaving the empty scuttle sounds like a very bad idea. Microwave it with water in the reservoir just to warm the water. I heat it the way I would coffee, and by the time I get it into the bathroom and soak my brush for a minute or two, the temperature is just right for lathering the soap or cream.

184 12,003
 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
User Info
(01-20-2013, 04:33 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote:
(01-20-2013, 04:04 PM)ClassicShaver Wrote: Just to confirm, you nuke the scuttle with no water in it for a few minutes? My lather today was horrible as I dried it out far too fast. Ah well, you live and learn.

No, microwaving the empty scuttle sounds like a very bad idea. Microwave it with water in the reservoir just to warm the water. I heat it the way I would coffee, and by the time I get it into the bathroom and soak my brush for a minute or two, the temperature is just right for lathering the soap or cream.

Roger that. I'll give it a shot again in a few days. I feel like I'm just starting out again as when your later is sub par, there are consequences for sure.

3 53
 01-23-2013, 02:52 AM
User Info
I'm not sure what is wrong here. It's almost embarrassing. My lather tonight started well, however, it dried up a bit towards the end of the shave and the lather wasn't really overly warm.

It seems like if I nuke the water, the lather dries up into almost a powder which tells me that it's too hot but anything much less, I don't feel much of a difference at all.

Any suggestions?

3 53