01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
2 thumbs down for his product. I have used it 3 times. I slather it all over my face and neck then rub it onto my brush and I get a decent lather. What I DON'T LIKE is that the lather dries at an incredible rate! After I make a pass, my skin is dry. You don't dare make a touch up pass. There are no lubricants left behind at all. Also, the lather and whisker stubble forms under the blade AND WILL NOT DISSOLVE OR BREAK LOOSE. I have to open the butterfly slightly, invert the razor, and spin it under a running stream of water. Really tough to work with and not worth the effort when other soaps and creams work so well without near as much effort.

2 334
 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Sorry about your experience. I have not had this experience with the La Toja shave stick. you may need more water when you are creating the lather.

3 497
 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with it. It is actually one of my favorite sticks and has always delivered a great lather. I know some folks have experienced skin reactions but I have been fortunate to be able to use it without incident. I am almost out so will definitely be replacing it once its gone.

0 123
 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Before you give up, take that same stick and grate it, pack it tight into any jar and try lathering it like you would a soap. If you can't make it work after that, this product is not for you. I find it to be a very good performer.

88 4,233
 01-19-2013, 07:19 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Sorry its not working out for you, the La Toja stick is my favorite soap. I would try using more water or maybe less product when you apply. It may be easier to find the sweet spot if you grate it up as beartrap sugested.
Good luck.

2 505
 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Are you sure you're using enough water? You say the lather is drying up quickly, sounds like you need to add more water.

10 1,120
 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
User Info
I got fantastic results from the first time I used it. Try more water, it's worth it.

2 805
 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
+1 on more water/less product....

5 1,151
 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
More water is the answer to that problem. Been using La Toja stick since I was 18 , and I know go it goes with it.When you make the right lather , then the shaving experience its going to be much different than have been with that kind of dry lather.

86 7,123
 01-19-2013, 10:46 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Never had any issues with my La Toja.

1 265
 01-20-2013, 02:11 AM
User Info
Whilst I consider the current La Toja stick a step down from the previous tallow version, it definitely is still a superb performer for me. It is an incredibly thirsty soap and I had exactly the same experience as yours first time out. Keep adding water. You'll be surprised just how much you can add.

31 4,957
 01-20-2013, 03:34 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I'm getting one in the next few days, lots of people seem to like it. Always nice to try out new stuff ...

27 1,297
 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I know that hardness comes into the equation. I'll try adding more water, but the lather in earlier attempts was quite thin until I worked it some more. My stick is almost chalky in consistency.I dropped it and it didnt't dent but chunks broke off so I was wondering if mine might not be UP TO FACTORY SPECS. It happens in the automation processes today, one ingredient is added to much or sat it a warehouse too long.

2 334
 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
User Info
Like everyone else is saying use more water and dip the shave stick in some warm water then make sure your the shaving brush you use has been soaked in warm water....that helped me with getting a great lather.

0 91
 01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
User Info
Definitely more water.

Mine isn't chalky, though. That's weird.

If it's in chunks, you can always re-grate it into any old deo stick.

I find La Toja to be a fine performer like most others here. We can always get together and do some swapping if you want to try something else, too.

1 283
 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
User Info
I don't recall my stick being that hard. Made great lather but irritated my face.

24 212
 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Mine is hard but not crumbly or brittle. Sort of like a tubular version of a triple milled soap.

10 1,858
 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
  • Cobre
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I am surprised to read that you are having issues, it is one of my top performers, perhaps give it another shot with more product/water

8 153
 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have been using La Toja five days consecutively and have found that I get a slight burning reaction from it. I thought my technique was off but after lathering up on my forearm this evening I confirmed that it is the soap. This is really unfortunate because it lathered up great and I really enjoy the scent. Adios La Toja! Sad

127 2,390
 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-01-2013, 06:49 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I have been using La Toja five days consecutively and have found that I get a slight burning reaction from it. I thought my technique was off but after lathering up on my forearm this evening I confirmed that it is the soap. This is really unfortunate because it lathered up great and I really enjoy the scent. Adios La Toja! Sad

Youre not the only one who have suffered that , my friend.Sad We have hoped for Henkel (La Toja) to go back to formulations with no "coconut acid" on it , as the old ones used to be. Nobody have reported to have suffered from burning while using the old La Toja sticks , while some of the same guys from the Spanish forum foroafeitado have reported to suffer rush/irritation when using the new La Toja formulations with that ingredient on the list.

86 7,123