03-28-2012, 10:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've always used my blades only twice. I was reading on the leisure guy blog that some blades are just breaking in on their second shave and the second and third can be better than the first. Does anyone else share that opinion?

45 3,955
 03-28-2012, 11:34 PM
User Info
I use mine until I can feel that it's dulling when I try to shave with the blade.

40 5,830
 03-29-2012, 12:28 AM
  • pgp
  • Portugal
User Info
Well, I'm one of those who only uses a blade 2 ou 3 times. The Wilkinson's made by Soligen, I just use once.

I'm thinking whether this is related to the fact that I use very hot water...

1 74
 03-29-2012, 04:27 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
For me It really depends on the blades. Feather DE blades last me three or four shaves, usually about three. Sharks last about the same amount of time. The Ted Pella GEM blades last around 5-7 shaves and I'm getting about 14 shaves from Kai Mild single edge blades.

I think that some blades break in with use and getting better after a few shaves. The Kai Mild's and Feather Pro's are a good example of this, especially the Feather Pro's. The Feather Pro's are so screaming sharp that I get some irritation and weepers, after a couple of shaves the blade seems to settle down and that shaves are much nicer.

7 1,018
 03-29-2012, 05:03 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I use my a max of 4days, typically I change every three shaves. I have read about the blade being better the second shave, I have not experienced it myself.

1 3,507
 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
User Info
I am usually a use it two days and dump it guy. Sometimes I will squeeze out a third shave if I just want a single pass. My problem is, my face doesn't tug when the blade dulls, it nicks and bleeds. Changing the blade every other shave for me and I almost never get a nick.

129 6,685
 03-29-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 04:27 AM)Sully Wrote: For me It really depends on the blades. Feather DE blades last me three or four shaves, usually about three. Sharks last about the same amount of time. The Ted Pella GEM blades last around 5-7 shaves and I'm getting about 14 shaves from Kai Mild single edge blades.

I think that some blades break in with use and getting better after a few shaves. The Kai Mild's and Feather Pro's are a good example of this, especially the Feather Pro's. The Feather Pro's are so screaming sharp that I get some irritation and weepers, after a couple of shaves the blade seems to settle down and that shaves are much nicer.

+1 Feather Pros get smoother after the first two or three uses.
All other DE blades depends!

75 20,883
 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

After having gone through countless razor blades through the years, I have settled on Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock "Sharp Edge" yellow packs and Super Iridium. In recent times I have tried Polsiver, Astra and Shark. Not for me.

As a general rule, I have replaced blades after the third shave. Now, though, for me, the Feather blade dies after the second shave. Two shaves and out for the Feather. The Gillette and the Super Iridum do much better at still three shaves a piece. I have some Pesonna reds and Derby blades left over, and when I use them, it's one shave and out.

132 2,614
 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
User Info
Yup, all depends on the blade. I've been testing blades for the past year, and I've had enough, but I've learned a lot of things. BTW, I still have blades to test, but I'm almost done and I'm almost able to settle down with some that I really love. Everytime I write this someone takes it upon themselves to send me more blades. I don't want any more, but thanks.

In DE, every blade that passes my testing must give me 7 good shaves. I haven't tested my best DE blades to destruction yet, but I know I can get 7 shaves from the ones I like. Some blades work great, but I only get 2 good shaves from them; I'm thinking Feather. There were some others that did that, but I can't remember them. Some blades aren't fit for even one shave IMO (name withheld to protect the Korean manufacturer of the 301s and 300s Biggrin )

In SE the choices are more limited, but the blades are really good, so the limitation isn't a constraint. In GEM SS or carbon steel I can easily get 14 shaves from one blade. It does change character as it ages, but gives a BBS to start and finishes with a comfortable BBS. I've gotten up to 18 shaves with a GEM SS ptfe coated blade and only changed it because I was getting bored; I felt like I was doing time waiting for this particular blades last shave. Curiously enough, a Feather SE blade gives me at least 12 great shaves (in an AutoStrop), unlike it's DE counterpart.

I've found a few DE blades that didn't get really good until the 2nd shave and the SE GEM SS ptfe (Ted Pella 121-3) that I generally use sometimes require the same 2 shaves to reach their stride. The one I'm presently using displayed that characteristic.

32 6,309
 03-29-2012, 04:31 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
it is all about how sharp you need your blades. If a fresh feather is "just sharp enough", then you're a 1 and done shaver like me. If, otoh, you prefer milder blades, then you'll prefer your blades "broken in", since after a couple of shaves they will be closer to your ideal.

1 189
 03-29-2012, 09:20 PM
User Info
For me, most blades last three shaves. A few last 4-5 shaves. The Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum black label lasts 12-13 shaves.

The problem with automatically throwing blades away after two or three shaves is that you never know how long a given blade type actually lasts. You also won't know if it starts shaving better after it is used once or twice. Once you find out how long a blade lasts, others of the same type should last for about the same number of shaves.

0 303
 03-30-2012, 09:16 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks everyone. You were all very helpful!

45 3,955
 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
User Info
I get 3-4 shaves with 7oclock yellows. 8 shaves at least with my red personas.

5 413
 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
I'm getting 7 days out of Feathers,I think my goatee's probably part of my success Biggrin

7 414
 04-02-2012, 05:36 AM
User Info
With all of the variables involved in shaving, I don't find it worthwhile at all to track how many shaves any given type of blade gives me. When a blade starts to pull/tug, I replace it.

- Mark

0 48
 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
+1 for me on this. I just bleed, I don't feel any tugging.
The only exception has been the single edge Feather Pro blades in the Cobra.
I can easily get 7 shaves with those before I start to struggle.

(03-29-2012, 08:50 AM)wingdo Wrote: I am usually a use it two days and dump it guy. Sometimes I will squeeze out a third shave if I just want a single pass. My problem is, my face doesn't tug when the blade dulls, it nicks and bleeds. Changing the blade every other shave for me and I almost never get a nick.

6 905
 04-04-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
I don't believe a blade gets better with use. Butcher knives do not getter sharper with use, either. There is some other factor at play that might lead some to think a blade is better after a couple shaves. After two shaves I can feel a significant drop off in performance.

6 230
 04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
(04-04-2012, 02:26 PM)Bowlturner Wrote: I don't believe a blade gets better with use. Butcher knives do not getter sharper with use, either. There is some other factor at play that might lead some to think a blade is better after a couple shaves. After two shaves I can feel a significant drop off in performance.

"Better" is not always the same as sharper. Sometimes a blade will be too aggressive for the first couple of shaves, which results in irritation. The blade will not be as aggressive after it dulls a wee bit. One workaround in such cases is to cork the blade before its first use. Another is to put up with initially so-so shaves. A third workaround is to use blades that work great from the first shave to the last.

0 303
 04-04-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:26 PM)razorx Wrote: I'm getting 7 days out of Feathers,I think my goatee's probably part of my success Biggrin

Wow you get 7 days out of your feathers? You must have very soft hair. I have barbed wire hair and get 2 shaves 3 max out of my feathers. I usually toss most blades away after 2 shaves. The only blade I use for more is polsilvers. My favorites!

1 73
 04-04-2012, 05:47 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I used to try to get as many shaves as possible. I know just use them 3 times and they are replaced. I dont like to worry about rust or bacterial getting on there. I also like to finish withing 3 passes max so thats another reason.

I used to try to get as many shaves as possible. I know just use them 3 times and they are replaced. I dont like to worry about rust or bacterial getting on there. I also like to finish withing 3 passes max so thats another reason.

1 265