01-20-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
Anybody have one? Any impressions how it compares in softness to other high end silver tips?

31 1,554
 01-20-2013, 12:34 PM
User Info
I almost bought noth the J.L Petree 'Rover' Brushes, but in the end chose only to order the J.L. Petree 'Rover' in 2-Band and then the Vie Long ButterScotch Beehive in 3-band Silvertip, because I was told by Phil (the owner of Bullgoose) and Teiste, that the Butterscotch limited editino Vie Long was among the softest brushes they have ever tried and still provided ample amount of backbone - and they were right Cool

The Vie Long Beehive Butterscotch 3-band Silvertip is among the best brushes in my collection - and I prefer it over any of my 6 Thäters for softness, bcause it has a more densely packed knot but still with crazy soft tips, in fact extremely soft tips, but once wet you get a solid firm backbone, that I only find in Simpson 2-band brushes - and NOT in any of my Thäthers to be honest.

Don't get me wrong Thäters are luxurious soft, but IMHO they all lack the wonderful solid firm backbone that I have come to prefer for face lathering. The Vie Long 3-Band Silvertip ButterScotch Beehive has that.

I'm sure the Vie Long J.L. Petree also have this, but as far as I know the knot is not quite as densely packed as the Vie Long Butterscotch Beehive is - Phil may correct me on this issue, if I'm wrong about that.......Smile

I know a little bit about your preferences, German, and I think you should get the Vie Long Butterscotch Beehive 3-band instead of the Vie Long J.L. Petree 3-Band, because it has a little bit more loft thus will feel slightly softer, yet it is still VERY VERY densely packed with hair.

The handle on both are really really ergonomic and great - but the Beehive takes the cake by a slight margin as one of my favorite handles for a shaving brush. It looks weird and as it is made more to look like a beehive than to feel comfortable, but looks deceive, it is a VERY comfortable handle to hold !

[Image: 2hcjbqp.jpg]
[Image: rkymoy.jpg]
[Image: 34noas7.jpg]
[Image: 2ljrn9l.jpg]

22 5,070
 01-21-2013, 07:01 AM
User Info
Thanks, Claus. I do have the beehive and based on what you say I will waive on the Rover.

31 1,554
 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have the latest RL Petree Vie-Long in super silvertip. Evaluating brushes is not my best thing but I can tell you this brush is outstanding. Soft tips and just enough backbone to use with a hard cream or soap. What I like the most about this brush it doesn't shed which is very annoying to me.

100 12,449
 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM
User Info
Thanks, Jerry.
(01-21-2013, 07:32 AM)slantman Wrote: I have the latest RL Petree Vie-Long in super silvertip. Evaluating brushes is not my best thing but I can tell you this brush is outstanding. Soft tips and just enough backbone to use with a hard cream or soap. What I like the most about this brush it doesn't shed which is very annoying to me.

31 1,554