01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
User Info
I have a confession to make Blush

Before I started using shaving creams, I used a Fusion/Mach 3 with my 2 favorites shaving gels and got very nice shaves - as long I didn't shave every other day.

For me DE razors and shaving cream gives me the added comfort and protection, for when I shave daily or every other day. A Fusion does not give me BSS on 1-2 days stubbles,

With that said, when I let my stubble grow for 3-4 days, which do happen, especially during the winter season, I have yet to find a razor that removes my stubble in a better and more gentle way than a proper handled Fusion razor and a new combo I just found by experimenting a bit. The golden combo for me is Proraso Pre Shave Cream (green or white) and my preferred trusty Sanex Shaving Gel - YES!, a shaving gel, that gives me the best shave out of all the 44 shaving creams I own on 3-4 days stubbles.

I get just the amount of protection and glide that I need with this combo. My best shaving creams tend to be almost too much of the good stuff, when I need to remove longer stubbles, but on the other hand they work far better on 1-3 days stubbles.
Same with my DE razors. They have really benefitted my shaves on shorter stubbles 1-3 days, but as soon as I let it grow over a weekend and maybe a day extra, I find that i prefer one of my Fusion handled Edwin Jagger razors and the combo of Proraso pre Shave cream and Sanex Shaving Gel - I guess, WHAT EVER WORKS, USE IT Wink

I almost am embarrassed to tell this to a forum for traditional wet shaving fanatics, but here I go Blush ....... Tongue

I will always stay true to DE razors, shaving creams and all the other nice products - but I have been a skin care fanatic for 15+ years, and knew about most of the benefitial products for shaving before I started using brush, creams, and DE razors.

Anyone else in here, who feels the need to confess Biggrin

22 5,078
 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I guess I'm a bit confused how you get a better shave with longer stubble with your Fusion. When I used the same razor (or the Mach 3 before it) it didn't work on long stubble worth a darn. I had to trim it down with my mustache trimmer, first.

That said, someone else on the forum suggested using canned shaving cream (barbasol, maybe) as a preshave beard treatment to soften the hairs, and I found that worked really well. I used my remaining Aveeno canned gel until it was gone. Now I smear a half-pump of Kiss My Face mint into my beard and leave it on while I wash my body, and it starts softening the hairs really well.

10 1,858
 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
User Info
(01-20-2013, 04:00 PM)Songwind Wrote: I guess I'm a bit confused how you get a better shave with longer stubble with your Fusion. When I used the same razor (or the Mach 3 before it) it didn't work on long stubble worth a darn. I had to trim it down with my mustache trimmer, first.

That said, someone else on the forum suggested using canned shaving cream (barbasol, maybe) as a preshave beard treatment to soften the hairs, and I found that worked really well. I used my remaining Aveeno canned gel until it was gone. Now I smear a half-pump of Kiss My Face mint into my beard and leave it on while I wash my body, and it starts softening the hairs really well.

The Fusion works better on longer hair than the Mach 3.
I just make sure to do short strokes, clean it frequently and I only need 2 passes plus touch ups. When I use a DE on 3-4 days stubble, I need 3 passes and touch up.

My problem with using a Fusion on shorter stubbles is that the 5 blades seem to irritate my skin more, when I have less cushion from the whiskers, so I end up getting a pretty poor shave with razor burn to follow if I want BSS with 1-2 days stubble using a Fusion. My DE is PERFECT for 1-3 days stubbles, the mild Ikon OSS and R89 for daily shaves, and the more aggressive R41, Ikon OC, Tradere SB, 'Merkur Futur and Japanese Straight for 2-3 days stubble.

For some odd reason my Fusion gives me the best shave possible on 3-5 days stubble......but I dislike it on 1-3 days stubbles Tongue

22 5,078
 01-21-2013, 12:22 PM
User Info
I shaved off a chin strip beard with a Futur set at 3 and a Personna Med Prep blade. I didn't even feel a thing! Whatever works!

0 295
 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have found that I get a better shave with a DE than the MACH 3.

The shave is just closer.

For a Pre-Shave Step after I take a shower ...I am now using a Pre-Shave Oil (a few drops spread over the wet face) and some latherless shaving cream/gel.

Then, while I am building bowl lather on my brush I let the Pre-Shave Oil & cream/gel sit.

When I am ready I just lather up on top of the Oil & cream/gel.

Got a BBS Shave out of that and that was worth it for now.

I do have to say that the shaving soap I am using is not the best but, it works.

1 819