01-20-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
Mighty Midget Review:

Price: $13.00 USD
Size: Total Height: 73 mm.
Loft: 43 mm.
Knot: 20 mm.
Hair: Banded boar / Badger

Pros: A real performer despite its size- good loadability- good latherability- would make a nice travel brush

Cons: Small handle- prickly bristles/hairs

Overall Quality: 8/10- Omega does not make the highest end brushes, but at the price point for which most of their brushes can be had, you really get your money’s worth and more- this brush is no exception. The handle is a nice solid piece of acrylic with a veined jade appearance. The brush also seems to be built well as I have only experienced the loss of a couple hairs which I deem to be standard with most brushes. I took a couple marks off on the quality due to the prickliness of the brush. The boar/ badger mix is an interesting concept, but with this brush it is apparent that a low grade of badger was used as there is a definite prick factor- this has diminished a bit over the few times I have used it, but it is a factor in the brush that does not go unnoticed. However, at this price point you really aren’t paying for silvertip hair.

Density: 7/10- This is not the most densely packed brush that I have seen, but it is packed well enough.

Backbone:7/10- Not the stiffest brush around, but as a face latherer that is not particularly a bad thing. It has enough backbone to load soaps easily, yet enough give to make it enjoyable to face lather with. I find the amount of backbone to be a perfect combination for loading and face lathering.

Softness of Tips: 7/10- For me this is one of the downsides with this brush. I like soft tips and these are a bit pricklier than I would like, however, not overly prickly. Again, I think the prickle is coming from the badger hair in the knot.

Latherability:8/10- When I first received this brush I was a bit concerned about what a brush this small could really do. Make no mistake about it folks- this brush can lather with the best of them. I had no problem creating a good amount of gorgeous lather. The only minor complaint here is that b/c the brush is so small there is a limit to how much lather it can hold. I was able to get 2 solid passes out of it, but the third pass was a bit thin due to the lack of lather.

Ergonomics:5/10- For me this was the biggest negative factor for this brush. I was not as comfortable holding this brush as I am holding other brushes. With the handle only being 30 mm. tall, there is not a whole lot to grab onto and I found myself holding the brush with the tips of my fingers (see picture below). I am used to holding the base of the brush in my palm and supporting the rest of the handle with my fingers. With more use I would probably get used to this, but it was a bit awkward right off the bat.

My overall impression is that this is a good little brush that should not be underestimated. Yes, it’s small and has a bit more prickle than I would like, but for its size and price it makes a formidable opponent. I would recommend this brush to anyone looking to add a small brush to their collection.

5 938
 01-20-2013, 07:05 PM
User Info
Tom, great review. They are great little brushes that work well for travel, also.

75 20,883
 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM
User Info
Good review! I agree 100%. The brush will perform even better after the boar breaks in, but the badger scritch doesn't go away.

32 6,311
 01-20-2013, 07:49 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I used mine this morning with Speick stick. It has softened over time but remains a tiny bit prickly. Doesn't bother me at all really. I just like using it; such a cool little beauty.

0 1,625