03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This is a fairly new razor that is made for The New York Save Company called the Mariner. This particular razor is the SH model I assume stands for short handle as they have other models with the same head. The fit and finish appears to be chrome and it was well made. I couldn't find any flaws and the blade is aligned in the head perfectly. It has excellent balance and weighs in at 2.4 oz . The handle is 3" long and the grip is very good thanks to the knurling.
The shave was very close and smooth but this razor is on the aggressive as on a scale of 1-10 I rated it an 8 but nothing I repeat nothing like the Muhle R41 2011 model which is beyond aggressive. When I called the NY Shave Co to ask questions about the razor the gal said she thinks its made in Japan for their company. Its very strange but the razor has the quality of the Feather Portable and has a similar handle. Although the head is much different then the Portable. For $35 delivered this is a good deal. If you like mild razors this is not for you.

[Image: Mariner002.jpg]

100 12,447
 03-29-2012, 04:01 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
use the code "mantic to get 20 percent off at checkout as well. I got mine earlier this week and it shaves to me like the fatip than the R41. It's close and aggressive, but not crazy aggressive like the R41. I tried my Tradere handle on it and it fits well and I like the Tradere handle better. I like this razor so much, I might get rid of my last R41 (R101) forever.

116 3,804
 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-29-2012, 04:01 PM)itsmedave Wrote: use the code "mantic to get 20 percent off at checkout as well. I got mine earlier this week and it shaves to me like the fatip than the R41. It's close and aggressive, but not crazy aggressive like the R41. I tried my Tradere handle on it and it fits well and I like the Tradere handle better. I like this razor so much, I might get rid of my last R41 (R101) forever.

You mean 20% off at The New York Shave Co. I will give the Mariner a full workout in the morning.

100 12,447
 03-30-2012, 06:00 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or not, but I'm just really not enjoying shaving with this or the R41 any longer. I guess since I got my Sheraton and Senator, I've begun to enjoy a bit less aggressive shave.

116 3,804
 03-30-2012, 06:13 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-30-2012, 06:00 AM)itsmedave Wrote: I'm not sure if my tastes have changed or not, but I'm just really not enjoying shaving with this or the R41 any longer. I guess since I got my Sheraton and Senator, I've begun to enjoy a bit less aggressive shave.

The Mariner is not close to the aggressiveness of the R41 but I understand your point. Even so I have only used it twice I am really liking it for close and irritation free shaves.

100 12,447
 05-22-2012, 07:17 AM
User Info
I tried the Mariner for the first time today.

It was a wonderful shave. I'll post a more detailed review with pics later, but this is certainly an aggressive shaver, but not harsh, like the 2011 R41. Is it more or less aggressive than the R41? It's hard to say.

Unlike the R41, which just wasn't worth the bother to me, this one is certainly a worthy addition to my den. It shaves every bit as close as any safety and it's comfortable and easy to use - a big advantage over the R41 (since I'm comparing aggressive razors).

As I said, more later, but initial returns on this razor are positive. Paired with a Red IP, the shave was smooth, effortless and close.

37 1,731
 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
This Mariner sounds interesting...

91 17,857
 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I'm excited about this one. I actually like and do very well with the 2011 R41. A *tad* less aggressive would work just fine!Biggrin

6 905
 05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
I like these razors myself. About as aggressive as you can get without being dangerous. They were a good addition for our site.

5 273
 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Interesting website of various shaving products.
I noticed that they carried the Gillette blue thin, I do not recall seeing those blades anywhere before.

1 3,507
 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
User Info
They look fairly tempting! Good to hear the reviews!

75 20,883
 05-23-2012, 05:19 AM
User Info
A couple of uses in - I am really happy with this razor. Close, smooth shaves every time.

If this keeps up, I'll be selling off some of my DE razors. I'll do a head-to-head with each one, and if the Mariner wins out, the other one will go.

Smile

37 1,731
 05-23-2012, 05:27 AM
User Info
For those that have used it, would you say its aggressiveness is in the neighborhood of a Old Type?

9 1,199
 05-23-2012, 05:42 AM
User Info
Nope. The Old Type is pretty mild. This is not.

I think this is like a more aggressive Merkur HD. In fact, the head reminds me of the Merkur Classic (the handle too - I have the long handle). I haven't used a Merkur Classic in a long time, but I think this is significantly more aggressive than that, but still smooth.

37 1,731
 05-23-2012, 06:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
You guys made me order one this morning. Biggrin

Just an FYI, the discount code "mantic" still works but it's kind of finicky. If you have difficulty, log off and then back on again.
Also, the PayPal direct credit card entry option doesn't seem to work either. The other credit card option is the ticket.

Looking forward to shaving with it! I haven't tried any vintage razor yet and usually use a longer handled razor so this may be different for me.

6 905
 05-23-2012, 05:43 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The aggressiveness to me was just below an R41 and Fatip. Enjoyable shave

116 3,804
 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
This razor is just fantastic!

Just the right amount of aggressiveness, under an R41 yet it'll get more on my first pass than just about anything else and give me a 3 pass BBS without any irritation and without the (R41) excessive worry of being severely bitten.

I've tried it with Astra SP's, Med Preps and Gillette Silver Blue's so far, all with similar results.
Finish is a bit below the EJ/Muhle's as mentioned but still fine and decent value for the money considering how well it works for me.

I have a chrome Fatip Grande in the mail and just received a Merkur 1904 plus a Tradere is definitely on my radar. If they are anything like this, my open comb quest will have hit the target.

6 905
 06-04-2012, 06:25 AM
User Info
Every shave I've used this razor for has been a pleasure - and the shave has been close and comfortable.

This is certainly the best DE razor I've used in the recent past. It will have a permanent place in my den.

37 1,731
 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree Yohann. Excellent stuff and I'm very thankful for this thread!

I went to order a Mariner LH because too much of a good thing is never enough and I just received a call mentioning that they are out of stock (excellent service from them!) but another model called the Tonsorial, (not yet on the website) is available and they can ship that instead if I'd like.
It's got the same open comb head as the Mariner but it's got a thicker, heavier handle. It's polished chrome as well.

I said yes so I'll have to see how that one preforms with the heavier handle. Sounds like it may be similar to the Fatip that I have inbound.

6 905
 06-04-2012, 08:27 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(06-04-2012, 08:19 AM)EHV Wrote: I agree Yohann. Excellent stuff and I'm very thankful for this thread!

I went to order a Mariner LH because too much of a good thing is never enough and I just received a call mentioning that they are out of stock (excellent service from them!) but another model called the Tonsorial, (not yet on the website) is available and they can ship that instead if I'd like.
It's got the same open comb head as the Mariner but it's got a thicker, heavier handle. It's polished chrome as well.

I said yes so I'll have to see how that one preforms with the heavier handle. Sounds like it may be similar to the Fatip that I have inbound.

I was wondering if its a similar model to the Mariner Stout which is on their website and features a thick chrome handle?

100 12,447