01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I received a Merkur Vision today and I have a question for other owners of this formidable looking razor...

The instructions indicate that the lettering V-I-S-I-O-N are the indicators for the space between the blade and edge. The instructions also suggest that the Merkur logo is the reference point for setting.

In the fully open setting the "O" is almost under the Merkur logo and in the fully closed setting again it's the "O". I expected it to start with "V" and end with "N" or vice versa.

Is the setting off on my particular razor or are they all like this?

For the cost I would have expected the beginning and end of V-I-S-I-O-N to correlate with the indicator in terms of fully open and fully closed (otherwise exploration of settings in between is rather troublesome).

I love the look of this razor and was fully aware of the maintenance required, but I am actually put off now by this diminished ability to accurately set the adjustment for blade exposure...

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM
User Info
Perhaps it's time for eyeglasses....Biggrin

184 12,003
 01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-23-2013, 08:53 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Perhaps it's time for eyeglasses....Biggrin

:monoloco:Laughing1

88 4,233
 01-23-2013, 09:05 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I tried a pair, the alignment is still off! Tongue

I'm so disenchanted with this razor. How can you easily and accurately adjust settings without a properly and readily identifiable and simple to understand adjustment scale! Huh

I don't need numbers, I can spell VISION, but it's rather confusing when the word is so incredibly far off alignment with the indicator. I would happily tolerate a few millimetres, but IMO this is ridiculous... Angry

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-23-2013, 09:05 AM)ben74 Wrote: I tried a pair, the alignment is still off! Tongue

I'm so disenchanted with this razor. How can you easily and accurately adjust settings without a properly and readily identifiable and simple to understand adjustment scale! Huh

I don't need numbers, I can spell VISION, but it's rather confusing when the word is so incredibly far off alignment with the indicator. I would happily tolerate a few millimetres, but IMO this is ridiculous... Angry

I agree, at this price point one would expect better.

88 4,233
 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
User Info
It does sound like a quality control issue. If you bought it from a vendor, perhaps this problem has come up before and they might have an easy fix for it. I certainly hope so.

184 12,003
 01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(01-23-2013, 07:59 AM)ben74 Wrote: I received a Merkur Vision today and I have a question for other owners of this formidable looking razor...

The instructions indicate that the lettering V-I-S-I-O-N are the indicators for the space between the blade and edge. The instructions also suggest that the Merkur logo is the reference point for setting.

In the fully open setting the "O" is almost under the Merkur logo and in the fully closed setting again it's the "O". I expected it to start with "V" and end with "N" or vice versa.

Is the setting off on my particular razor or are they all like this?

For the cost I would have expected the beginning and end of V-I-S-I-O-N to correlate with the indicator in terms of fully open and fully closed (otherwise exploration of settings in between is rather troublesome).

I love the look of this razor and was fully aware of the maintenance required, but I am actually put off now by this diminished ability to accurately set the adjustment for blade exposure...
Ben,
With the Vision not every setting will shave. Per Mrs Rothstein of Dovo-Merkur customer service in the very closed position the razor will not shave for safety reasons(obsured). So you only have several settings(high) that will actually shave your beard. If you can live with that you will have a great shaver but only with a few settings.

100 12,448
 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
So Jerry, it seems Mrs Rothstein is suggesting that the Vision should not really be considered an adjustable razor...

Perhaps just slightly adjustable at best Huh

I still think the adjustment scale should be definite and readily discernible. How hard can it be to have the beginning and end of the word match with the beginning and end of the adjustment range? (Regardless of the inconceivable suggestion that despite the adjustment range, only a portion of it is actually useable!)

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Ben, can you take a few shots in opened and closed position?

88 4,233
 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Will do Steve, but in daylight. It's 1.40am here, guess I should try to get some sleep as I have to be up by 5.30am...

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(01-23-2013, 09:33 AM)ben74 Wrote: So Jerry, it seems Mrs Rothstein is suggesting that the Vision should not really be considered an adjustable razor...
Exactly, I don't think it will shave in the close position.
I already tried it when I had mine.
Perhaps just slightly adjustable at best Huh

I still think the adjustment scale should be definite and readily discernible. How hard can it be to have the beginning and end of the word match with the beginning and end of the adjustment range? (Regardless of the inconceivable suggestion that despite the adjustment range, only a portion of it is actually useable!)

100 12,448
 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
This is really surprising to read and I'm sorry for your woes, Ben. When compared to the Progress, which has an infinite adjustment within its mechanical range (albeit with varying "zero" marks razor to razor), it's amazing to think there are only a few stops on the Vision. This razor has been around for some time, making it even more surprising. Now I want to go back and check my brand new Futur for any similar issues.

Good luck, Ben.

35 2,703
 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
The VISION razor has never implied or suggested that every letter is a mark of adjustment...mine goes from the diamond before the V to the O . The first stop the diamond is High (most aggressive) and the O is low or least aggressive. I use mine on the S which works well for me and other than today when I was playing with it I never reset it....Is this a big deal? Find a setting you like and you are set. Even the new breed like the Titan have only 3 base plates...good grief how many do you need...a Straight has no points of adjustment only pressure and angle.At least there are 3 points of adjustment . The Progress and Futur have 1 or 2 more but they are usually left once you shave with them a few times.

6 1,913
 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
I purchased mine preowned. There are instructions on the web and you tube that explain how to take it apart to clean it. Believe it's recommended or it will not work properly. I took mine apart and cleaned it and reassembled a number of times but the settings are still a little off from the lettering. It's just how it is.

5 410
 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-23-2013, 11:06 AM)TexBilly Wrote: This is really surprising to read and I'm sorry for your woes, Ben. When compared to the Progress, which has an infinite adjustment within its mechanical range (albeit with varying "zero" marks razor to razor), it's amazing to think there are only a few stops on the Vision. This razor has been around for some time, making it even more surprising. Now I want to go back and check my brand new Futur for any similar issues.

Good luck, Ben.

The VISION doesn't have "steps" either, it's "infinite" like the FUTUR. The difference is the numbers on the Futur actually align with the indicator mark, while on the vision the word doesn't align at all.

(01-23-2013, 11:24 AM)Harvey Wrote: The VISION razor has never implied or suggested that every letter is a mark of adjustment...mine goes from the diamond before the V to the O . The first stop the diamond is High (most aggressive) and the O is low or least aggressive. I use mine on the S which works well for me and other than today when I was playing with it I never reset it....Is this a big deal? Find a setting you like and you are set. Even the new breed like the Titan have only 3 base plates...good grief how many do you need...a Straight has no points of adjustment only pressure and angle.At least there are 3 points of adjustment . The Progress and Futur have 1 or 2 more but they are usually left once you shave with them a few times.

I don't mind that the ACTUAL range of adjustment is less than the number of letters, but I do mind that the beginning and end of the letters doesn't align with the beginning and end of the adjustment range.

The Futur manages to have the numbers correctly aligned, why cant the more expensive Vision?

(01-23-2013, 02:21 PM)Johnus Wrote: I purchased mine preowned. There are instructions on the web and you tube that explain how to take it apart to clean it. Believe it's recommended or it will not work properly. I took mine apart and cleaned it and reassembled a number of times but the settings are still a little off from the lettering. It's just how it is.

Well IMO it shouldn't!

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is one of the reasons that I have never liked adjustable razors, no matter who makes them. But I agree with you Ben, you would think for that kind of money it would be spot on.

173 23,553
 01-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The one Vision I had (ages ago) didn't line up correctly. Luckily, my Progress and my Futur both start at 1. That's the first thing I checked.

116 3,804
 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It seems another member had a similar issue...

Merkur vision alignment

I sent an email yesterday to Dovo/Merkur, but have not yet had a response.

I wonder if any of the vendors here can chime in as to whether the miss alignment is simply the norm?

I'm keen to get some definite feedback as I don't intend to use it until I'm convinced by the manufacturer or a vendor that it's not a fault.

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-23-2013, 09:36 AM)beartrap Wrote: Ben, can you take a few shots in opened and closed position?

Here you go Steve...

I wasn't sure if you wanted to see the alignment issue or the actual blade gap, so I've included both.

Fully open

Fully closed

Alignment

No denying it's a beautiful razor!

Despite my initial disappointment regarding the alignment, I am actually eager to try it...

91 17,875
 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Now I see what you are saying. Yeah, that looks wrong. Hopefully Merkur will reply with an explanation.

88 4,233