01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Are the present British Sterling and English Leather the same as they were 30 years ago? I read there are fakes or knockoffs out there. Can any expound on these old, classics?

2 334
 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I know nothing about those two but I'll weigh in on Aqua Velva. The oldest version was made by Williams which was the lightest version of the three. After Williams Beecham made it and it was very similar to the Williams though slightly stronger scent IMO. Aqua Velva is now made by Combe INC. It's the strongest and most durable version. It's surprising how different it is from the other two versions. I often hear people say the current versions of the classics are watered down versions. With Aqua Velva it is the opposite. My Williams bottle is from the 70's and my Beecham bottle is from the 90's I believe.

45 3,955
 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well if the packaged English Leather and British Sterling I bought a few years ago (on a complete nostalgic whim) is any indication, I'd say they smell the same as I remember [coughs] so many years ago. Close enough to call them the same, anyway. As for knock-offs, I can't comment but like so many scents, I'm sure they're out there.

35 2,703
 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
They are not the same. I have a botte of EL made by mem. It is similar but not the same. The old version has a more full scent.

The same goes with Old Spice. I have the old and the new and I'll take the old any day.

Come by and I'll PIF you my bottle of original EL.

1 283
 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(01-27-2013, 07:32 PM)regularfella Wrote: They are not the same. I have a botte of EL made by mem. It is similar but not the same. The old version has a more full scent.

The same goes with Old Spice. I have the old and the new and I'll take the old any day.

Come by and I'll PIF you my bottle of original EL.

No thanks but appreciate your viewpoint. I have bigger fragrance fish to fry. Wink

Sent via Tapatalk 2

35 2,703
 01-28-2013, 01:28 AM
User Info
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant Blue-line. He lives not to far from me and we've been friends for years.

1 283